Thread: Sea duck decoy help

Default Sea duck decoy help

I got into sea duck hunting a few years back and have done really good on them just finding a spot and pass shooting or jump shooting them. This year I would like to try and set out decoys and hunt over them as it looks like a lot of fun. Can anyone give me some pointers on setup for a decoy string and types of decoys to get. should I get multiple types and put them together or use just one species decoy. Where I hunt we get several different types of ducks flying by. Also how many decoys should I put out. Any other help would be great thanks
    Tony

My decoy way for sea ducks is fairly cheap and simple. I have two types of decoys, golden eyes and scoters. Both work well for all the ducks I typically see. Depending on the patience, you can get a bunch of cheapo decoys and paint the goldeneyes yourself or order some on Cabela's GHG and look for when they are on sale. As for scoters, cheapest decoys you can find and spray paint them flat black. Some may say use liter soda bottles, but that's a lot of bottles to come up with.
    As for rigging, I use halibut long line gear. 3/8 line (it's what I happen to have a lot of) with some snaps and halibut ganion that is tied to the decoy. Currents are pretty crazy in the homer area but have done well with a gallon bucket, concrete and a big eye bolt with a good size washer for an anchor.
    For transporting the decoys in my boat, I keep them in garbage cans with holes drilled in the bottom to let them drain. Each line has about a dozen decoys and fits into a regulation size garbage can. Two lines of scoters and two lines of goldeneye. Work out just fine. They're not that picky. Anyway, that's my technique. Goodluck.

Every few years when my mallard decoys are starting to look worn I replace them and spray paint the old decoys black. This works well for most Scoters/harlequins. However if you want goldeneyes you will need to add some white paint. I just use flat black and white paint. Get to a rocky point and hunt when the tide is changing. A lot of people like to hunt at the slack tides, which works well if you have done your scouting, however if you aren't very framiliar with the area the tide changes are best. As it falls the birds will move from one feeding ground to another. Use clips and attach 10-12 per line with a heavy sinker at one end. I use a big spread 4-5 strings however 2-3 strings should pull doubles and triples. Also a black flag or a goose flag really helps to grab the attention of those low flyers that might not even see your spread. Good luck

Attachment 60690

Here is one way I set up....

The current is going out I have th current take the Decoys out and have them tied off to shore.

In picture I have a couple off to the side. These i usually have them wieghted down each..

Another way I do it. is use two Halibut wieghts. One on each end and run the decoys parrell to the bank. Keep on close to shore and another far out there. With this method. Keep in mind the tide going out. So plan on the before you set up/
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I use Golden eyes and Buffle heads. Why? cause they are cheap and easy to get here in Anchorage. Though i do like the magnum golden eyes. To be honest, you can use any type of decoys and they will work......
    I set out allot of decoys to make it look interesting tho them....

Man growing up on scotters we used painted black milk jugs...
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by scoterblaster View Post
    Every few years when my mallard decoys are starting to look worn I replace them and spray paint the old decoys black. This works well for most Scoters/harlequins. However if you want goldeneyes you will need to add some white paint. I just use flat black and white paint. Get to a rocky point and hunt when the tide is changing. A lot of people like to hunt at the slack tides, which works well if you have done your scouting, however if you aren't very framiliar with the area the tide changes are best. As it falls the birds will move from one feeding ground to another. Use clips and attach 10-12 per line with a heavy sinker at one end. I use a big spread 4-5 strings however 2-3 strings should pull doubles and triples. Also a black flag or a goose flag really helps to grab the attention of those low flyers that might not even see your spread. Good luck

Agree... My string I have the decoys seperated by 2 decoys lenght.
    Easy way to set up is once you find your hunting area. I raft to shore and set my decoys up on my line and then motor out to where I want them and release the anchor end to the bottom.
    Now if they are anchored from shore I run the none weighted end out and the current does the rest.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Thanks for the help I am looking forward to getting out again this fall. I usually go out of homer but a trip out of Whittier last October deer hunting we ended up not being able to go to all the way to the islands because of weather so we found a spot out of the wind and shot a lot of ducks. Deer Hunting was a bust but it was still a great trip

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I second what waldo stated. The only difference is that I use bluebills and golden eyes, just because its what I had. Space them about 5 feet apart on the long line and run the lines parallel with the shore about 15 yards out with the furthest being about 30 yards.

Default Sea ducks

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    I got into sea duck hunting a few years back and have done really good on them just finding a spot and pass shooting or jump shooting them. This year I would like to try and set out decoys and hunt over them as it looks like a lot of fun. Can anyone give me some pointers on setup for a decoy string and types of decoys to get. should I get multiple types and put them together or use just one species decoy. Where I hunt we get several different types of ducks flying by. Also how many decoys should I put out. Any other help would be great thanks
    Tony
    Depending on where you are setting up at you will need some kind of boat, raft, kayak to set up the decoys and retrieve the birds. I have seen some guys send there dogs into the salt but when ambient isn't enough to warm them back up they get in bad shape real quick so you need a watercraft of some type. Depending on the tides you may have to be on the retrieve pretty quick, even with an onshore wind the tide usually wins. As far as rigging goes I have never had an issue with slipping or reclaiming my decoys using a colapsable 5 pound anchor and 550 cord. The first year I went I only had goldeneye decoys and did just fine but now in the off season I just sand the paint off my well used mallards, buffleheads, ect and hand paint harleys and what ever else I can do depending on the size of the dek I'm using. If you are interested in that just go to Blains in anchorage and tell them what you want to do and they will give you everything you need, if you want to get real into it you can also figure out how to use an airbrush.

I noticed in the new Cabelas waterfowl catalog, GHG now makes Oldsquaw and Eider decoys. The longtails might make a good addition to the scoter decoys as they should show up pretty well. Not sure how the population of Oldsquaws is doing. I killed a bunch of them in Kodiak in the 80s, but in the times I have been there since, I didn't see nearly the same number of birds. I have seen very few in the Sound also, when I have hunted there.
    If you are really into sea ducks, you might try a layout boat. I haven't tried it, but it looks like it would be a blast (pun intended). Building one has been on my list for some time, just haven't got around to it.
    Was really looking forward to hunting sea ducks this fall, but since I am adding another kid to the family on about Halloween, I doubt I am going to get in much if any. Good luck and take a couple for me - that is all I bother to kill anymore anyway.