Thread: Kodiak Conditions and Reports

Default Kodiak Conditions and Reports

Enough of the idle chit chat, complaints, name calling and fictional and non fictional story telling

Lets talk Bears - Specifically Kodiak Bears!

Does anyone have any reports on Ice Conditions, Snow Levels and or Bear Activity in the South Kodiak Region (Uyak Bay and Further South)

Fraser, Karluk, Red, Olga Lakes....ICE conditions? Rivers Open? Etc

PM's are fine as well

Cutter

I don't live on Kodiak, but Kodiak F&G told my brother that there were only three permitted bear hunters out in the field as of April 9th. It sounded like it was a bit snowier than normal as of 1 week ago. But with the warm breezy weather that's moved in this past week, we could be right back to normal spring snow conditions again now. I'll be heading down there April 19th to begin my hunt in the Uganik Bay permit area.

Quote Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
    I don't live on Kodiak, but Kodiak F&G told my brother that there were only three permitted bear hunters out in the field as of April 9th. It sounded like it was a bit snowier than normal as of 1 week ago. But with the warm breezy weather that's moved in this past week, we could be right back to normal spring snow conditions again now. I'll be heading down there April 19th to begin my hunt in the Uganik Bay permit area.
    I shot my brown bear in the Uganik Bay unit last spring. PM if you need any details.

Default Kodiak status

Only 3-4 guides w/ clients on the south end are in the field. All the south end lakes are currently frozen and are going to stay frozen until May sometime?

I'm guessing air charters will continue to land on the solid ice until things get dicey.

ADF&G reports no bears killed as of today, a few bear tracks in the snow on the north end.
    Hope thsi helps!

Still lots of snow! The ice was over two feet thick on the lakes here two weeks ago and it has not been that warm of a warm spell. Like said earlier, expect the lakes to be ice covered for another month. Bring your snow shoes, you will need them.
    Dave

Default Thanks Guys

As Always - I appreciate your info

Yup - Snowshoes this year for sure

I'll take Reports up until Apr 30