Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nightmare Rifle Situation!

Default Nightmare Rifle Situation!

Soooo... I'll just throw this story out there and see what people think. What would you do? What were the problems?

I bought this rifle from a guy in AZ who said he had used it sparingly and on only one coues deer hunt. I had never bought a rifle that was used before and I was a little hesitant. It was exactly what I was looking for though… the perfect sheep rifle. (Custom 6.5x284, super light weight) I figured the rifle would be a tack driver regardless of the owner, due to *********'s great reputation. Included in the deal were the dies and brass. The brass I received from him was half fired, half unfired. He had neck trimmed and sized all of the unfired brass. Right away I was getting case head thinning and even some almost separated heads. The groups were not great but I had some rounds loaded and took it on a successful sheep hunt. I called the maker at this point and we talked a little. His advice was to remount the scope and get new brass. At the local sportsman’s warehouse I picked up a box of Hornady 6.5x284 and then ordered a box of Lapua 6.5x284 online. I loaded a few of the Laupua and went to the range(I did not run the Lapua through the dies as I didn’t want to mess with the shoulder at all). The shot groups were okay as I progressed up increasing powder charges. Upon return from the range I checked the cases on a RCBS case master for case wall thinning and every one showed it again. Frustrated, I worked up the Hornady brass and tried to chamber it… which it wouldn’t. The customer service at Hornady suspected a headspace issue and the guy instructed me to lower the die and really ram it home in the press to bump the shoulder back. I did. The brass chambered with difficulty. Upon bolt lift I had to jar the handle the last 10 or so degrees. I pulled on the handle backwards and nothing happened.. it was stuck. I put the butt on the table and gave the handle a rearward hit with my palm.. it was a firm hit, but not HARD by any means. The bolt went backwards with no brass. I then took a rod and put it down the bore and pushed the brass out without too much pressure at all. When I removed the brass from the action, there was the extractor and another ˝ moon metal collar. The half moon metal collar was the small little overlap of metal on the bolt that holds in the extractor. It is built on a Rem 700 titanium action. Right now it is on its way back to him to see if he can work some sort of miracle.

Need to talk to the smith that reamed chamber and see if it is reamed for 6.5 X 284 Winchester brass or 6.5 X 284 Norma
    Norma is slightly larger. Cost me about $300 to figure that one out ended up rechambering my rifle to 6.5 X 284 Norma.

You have done what any reasonable person would do. Tried, and after repeated difficulty, returned it to the guy who put it together. Keep us posted on the outcome. Sounds like headspace issues to me as well.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Yeah.. I am pretty frustrated with the whole progression of events. I thought about the difference between the Win vs. Norma, but the only real way to get the Win brass is to track down the 284 brass and resize. The Lapua brass does say 6.5 x 284 Norma, but the Hornady says 6.5/284. Stamped on the barrel is 6.5x284. The Lapua fit but showed major thinning. The Hornady didn't fit and may have ended the rifle's life. Pretty disappointed with Remington's bolt as well.. a little jolt and a super important piece breaks off. I have seen a guy do similar and beat the bolt handle with a hammer and not have that little piece of metal holding the extractor break. I am beginning to think it is combination of unfortunate circumstances adding up.

I am curious to see how the gunsmith stands behind his product. For the cost of his rifles I hope so.

Pretty easy to set the barrel back one turn and rechamber. But it could also be a problem with the resizing die. Either way, it is an easy fix. Should of had a local smith run a go/no go gauge in the chamber before sending it away.

If your chamber was that over sized I would also suspect your brass was lengthening by a large amount requiring the cases to be trimmed every time they were fired. Afterall, if the case walls were thinning the brass has to be going somewhere. Did you check your case length?

Hopefully it was a bad extractor causing the whole problem.When I was working replacing those pesky 700 extractors was something done a few times each year.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

As the owner of a 6.5-284 as KK said you need to find out if it is chambered for the 6.6-284 winchester or 6.5-284 norma. Alot of the earlier 6.5 were the winchester version... Then once Norma standarized it then the 6.5-284 norma came about with slight changes. I bought some hornady 6.5-284 brass I could not get that stuff to chamber in ym 6.5-284 winchester as soem folks call it. I know a guy who has a truck load of new 284 cases. I found H-4350 the powder to use with 52.0grs behind a 120 gr nosler ballistic tip.

Unfired new Lapua Brass - 2.163
    Once fired - 2.180

The serious problem is the bolt though. If you look at a 700 bolt where the extractor is held in, there is a thine overhang of metal that is part of the bolt. THAT piece broke off!

Have you contacted Remington to see if they will replace the bolt? Somewhat doubtful, but worth a try.
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

I was just reading this thread ... let me get this straight, you purchased a custom rifle from a "custom gunsmith" that he built, albeit for himself presumably, and it isn't correctly assembled ? "IF" you didn't make a mistake somewhere along the line, the seller had better make good by repairing, replacing, taking it back OR SOMETHING .... PLEASE post the gunmaker's name and business name if he won't stand behind it so we all know not to patronize this "craftsman" .....

That's against forum policy. Like it or leave it.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Just got a call from him today.. the bolt was junk and needs to be replaced which will cost me give or take $500. He said he inspected the cases I sent to him and said he didn't notice any thinning of the walls when using "a scope" to look at it.... Can you see case wall thinning from the inside with a bore scope? I can sure measure it on a RCBS Case Master. He is the expert though so I will take his word for it. He is going to fit a new bolt and will have to set back the barrel a half turn, re cerecoat it, and have it back before Aug 8. All in all I think that is pretty fair. To prevent any further thinning I may just have to neck resize to avoid even touching the shoulder and furthering the wall thinning. I would rather full length resize when using for hunting. Que Sera, Sera.

Notification through PM or email is ok...PM him, back country.

So, what did he say you did wrong to mess up his fine workmanship that you should pay to have fixed?

Benn shooting two 6.5x284's for many years...well five on the second one. Never had any of these problems. (not M700 actions thought. I would say the rifle was overloaded which damaged the bolt. $500 seems high for a bolt. If there was an excess headspace issue to cause excess case stretching, I don't see how new Hornady brass would't chamber. Your Lapua case did stretch waaay too much. That abrupt 35 degree shoulder on the 284 case stretches very little. You do need a neck sizing die to prevent pushing that shoulder back with each firing. The 6.5x284 has been one of the most trouble free wildcats I've ever used and I've used many. I have a Shilen barreled heavy rifle that accounted for my longest ever prairie dog at 1140 ranged yards. They're kinda accurate. My latest is a custom with a Lothar Walther barrel, a sheep rifle of sorts. I now shoot Lapua brass exclusively but did use a lot of norma. Norma is the company who standardized the cartridge and gained CIP and SAAMI acceptance for it. It is thus called 6.5x284 Norma. I've used Winchester brass in both guns with no problems. I hope you get things worked out, it's a great caliber.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Check this out... tell me if I am crazy or stupid.
    http://s1220.photobucket.com/albums/...t=DSCN0266.mp4

I might be missing something here. Did you say you sized a piece of Hornady brass and then chambered it empty and had problems or did you load and fire it and then have problems?

The hornady brass did not chamber at all.. after RAMMING it into the die as tight as it would go, it chambered just enough to break the ejector and the thin piece of metal from the bold holding the ejector in.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast