Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moose hunting with a 308?

Default Moose hunting with a 308?

I am preparing to schedule a moose hunt and my favorite gun is my 308. Will this rifle do the job? Any recommendations will be appreciated. Thanks.

Yes 308's have put a lot of moose down here in Alaska. However.... once you squeeze off a shot, and if you hit it dead on in the heart or "boiler room" figure on taking almost 2 minutes before the moose realizes it's dead and falls over. A Head or neck shot usually puts them down quicker.

On the 2 minute deal... I have a buddy that has killed several tons of moose meat over the years and he stands firm that many moose would die right where shot if people would give them a chance to do so. He says that the key for him is to never be seen, make a good solid shot and then stay quiet and just watch. Secondary shots he says are frequently enough to send it running. He also hunts with a single shot though so it may just be him justifying rifle choice. Personally I don't have enough bullets in animals to have an opinion just yet but hope to be a fire side expert in about 30-40 more years!

308 will kill moose. Last one in the freezer here is all the proof I need on that.

Ditto on everything said thus far. And even more so with this being your favorite gun. To me this sounds like you are comfortable with it and your ability to use it effectively. January of '11 we used a 308 to take down three moose. Single shot to the head on each one. I'm not advocating head shots if you're not comfortable with that, just using it as an example. Good luck on your hunt!

Default 308 Win ,a close and reliable friend

Im writing to you from South Africa my friend ,I have owned and used a 458Win,375 H&H,303 Brit,308 Win ,223 Rem and an asortment of shotguns and .22s an without doubt Im in Awe of this dainty little dame with her halfpint cartridge,BUT marry her off with a good quality bullet of about 180g and she turns meaner than my X wifes lawyer in a heartbeat,I must have taken well in exess of 500 head of game with my 308 Win from large animals like Eland and Kudu down to smaller game such as Grey Duiker and Stein Buck ...Buddy ,gently touch off whilst aiming at the right spot and Glory Haleluuuya we eat like Kings again, 4 shure,I have no doubt you will succeed at Moose harvesting Old Chap ENJOY! (PS: remember try not to stretch your shots past 350 meters just to be safe OK.)

.308 is plenty of gun if you do your part. Moose generally die easy when poked through the ribs.

Good point by Lujon- moose are just too big to impress with a boiler room shot using nearly anything. Make a good shot and give it time to work, I've heard several stories of old Native guides that would shoot one with a .30-30 and let it walk off. Then they'd build a fire to make some tea, then they'd drink the tea....after the tea was gone they'd go find the moose piled up a short distance away.

Not pressuring a fatally hit critter is important since additional shooting won't really change the outcome and it will usually run far away, run into thick brush or wind up in the water if you unleash a barrage or pursue it too quickly.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Default moose hunting with a 308

I (collectivel myself, my wife and other family members) have shot a lot of moose with a 308 with no problem. I shot one with my 270 and my daughter and son-law have taken about 4 with their 270. Since I am after table fare I don't want to shoot an animal in any way that will waste meat. I always try to hit them right behind the shoulder in the lower half of the bodyand that has done the trick for me lots of times. It is far more important to shoot a gun that you are used to and shoot well then it is to use a bigger caliber. Many of those I have shot are not aware I am there and have dropped in their tracks. I am certain that over the years many have been taken with a 30-30 and that is far less potent.
    Last edited by driveacub; 06-04-2012 at 11:49. Reason: add a line

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    On the 2 minute deal... I have a buddy that has killed several tons of moose meat over the years and he stands firm that many moose would die right where shot if people would give them a chance to do so. He says that the key for him is to never be seen, make a good solid shot and then stay quiet and just watch. Secondary shots he says are frequently enough to send it running. He also hunts with a single shot though so it may just be him justifying rifle choice. Personally I don't have enough bullets in animals to have an opinion just yet but hope to be a fire side expert in about 30-40 more years!

308 will kill moose. Last one in the freezer here is all the proof I need on that.
    The above advice is 100% spot on in my opinion, regardless of caliber.

I speak from experience, having let a moose see me after I drilled in in the boiler house with a 225 grain Corelokt in 338 WM. It wheeled into the thick brush and ended up running for a long friggin' way before expiring.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post

+1

Not that it matters but Craig Boddington in the Book " The perfect shot North American Game" discusses calibers for moose and seems to agree as he points out that they don't appear hurt much by a 416 Remington round into the boiler room.

I've been involved in a few moose kills but likely not an expert; but have seen some dramatic head or head/neck shots (on videos even with lesser caliber) that anchor them down ... but have stayed with the boiler room shots myself.

IMO a more important consideration is the type of bullet to use. Pick a good weight bullet of sound construction; say >150 Gr Nosler Partitions or better (e.g. bonded bullets or Barnes).

Quote Originally Posted by Chadillac View Post
    I am preparing to schedule a moose hunt and my favorite gun is my 308. Will this rifle do the job? Any recommendations will be appreciated. Thanks.
    The 308 Winchester is a great cartridge. I've handloaded it with a 200 grain nosler partition with Mr-2000 powder. The velocity was around 2,550 fps from a 20" barrel. This would be my top choice as a do-all moose hunting bullet in the 308 Winchester. It isn't needed, but it was nice to see that the little 308 would push em with authority. AK Lanche has loaded some 200 grain Woodleighs too, with similar results.

matnaggewinu

Mine dropped last year's moose right where he stood last year.
    "...and if you dont have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." - Jesus (Luke 22:36)

Buy guns, its Biblical.

Moose have been killed with a lot less than 308. Go with what you know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    Ditto on everything said thus far. And even more so with this being your favorite gun. To me this sounds like you are comfortable with it and your ability to use it effectively. January of '11 we used a 308 to take down three moose. Single shot to the head on each one. I'm not advocating head shots if you're not comfortable with that, just using it as an example. Good luck on your hunt!
    How the headshooting work for you in 2012? Lol
    “When the people fear the government, that's tyranny; when the government fears the people, that's freedom.”

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    How the headshooting work for you in 2012? Lol
    That moose kept ducking and you know it!

Here's a moose which my wife took with a 300 Savage that is a couple of hundred fps behind the 308.

We went 2 for 2 last year for potlach moose using the old mod 70 .308. My eldest son head shot with .308 from 40 yards using 165 grain nosler accubonds, then not to be outdone, two weeks later his old man head shot another one with the .308 using same gun, this time from about 80 yards.

425 Express, my dad used that underpowered 300 savage for 30 years up here hunting moose and caribou. Old lever action, open sights. Great gun.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I have used a .308 twice on moose with equal effectivness to the .338WM I used before I learned that more recoil isn't necessarily better. What ever you choose, as long as you are accurate, you won't be blaming your caliber choice if you don't get a moose.
    If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right.

I have used a 308 Win on 2 moose using 150gr Speer plain jane bullets. Neither one went past 100 feet. The boiler room shot will make them dead in a minute or so. Through the front shoulder will put them down almost instantly if they are close to a pond or such but is going to damage some meat. The 308 is plenty for moose. I've also used a 270 on a few moose and none of them went far either.

Ok, someone has to explain to me what boiler room means...

I think .308 is a great moose caliber... my hunting buddy hunts moose in the Fairbanks area with a Ruger M77 carbine in .308 with open sights, the reasoning is because of how bushy it is up there you're never making a shot more than 100 yards anyway, and sometimes much closer than that, with all the tree stands we found up there.

Back home in Canada in the old days, I would be willing to bet more moose died by the .303 British than any other caliber. 303 is pretty similar to the 308 in powder but I noticed there's a lot fewer of them over on this side of the border.

Boiler room is slang for the area of the animal containing the Lungs, heart and liver which is also commonly called the kill zone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast