Thread: Silver Salmon Spinnning Rod and Reel

Default Silver Salmon Spinnning Rod and Reel

Hey guys. Looking to get a quality spinning rod setup for salmon. I want a 2 piece rod to fish 15 pound test. Im looking at the St Croix Wild River WS86MHF2 Spinning 8'6" MH Fast 2 piece 8 - 17 pound test 3/8 - 11/4 ounce lure weight, 6.7 ounce rod weight $ 150.

What other rods are people using. Ill be fishing from a drift boat on the deshka and similar stuff.

Now for the reel. I dont want anything too large and it needs a decent drag thats not going to have to get rebuilt every year.

Also If i wanted to build a cheaper setup for friends to use since i usually have to outfit them as well what rod and reel would you use?

thanks a ton guys vance
    NRA life Member JVJ

I'm real fond of the casting version of the Loomis STR1025S (GL3). If the spinning version is as good, you'll be delighted, but the price of admission is steep at over $300. Scroll a little over halfway down the linked page to find it. There are a lot of other variations there that might suit your tastes and needs as well or better than my choice.

Your rod choice sounds great. As for reels I would stick with a 4000 size reel. I have used a Shimano spheros reel and love it, but recently picked up a Pfleuger president reel. They both are good quality reels with smooth drags. If your looking for loaner type rods reels I would go with an ugly stik light in the 8-17lb version. Good rod and nearly indestructible, pair it with either of the reels and they would have a relatively inexpensive set-up that is still very good.

Quote Originally Posted by akprideinvegas View Post
    Hey guys. Looking to get a quality spinning rod setup for salmon. I want a 2 piece rod to fish 15 pound test. Im looking at the St Croix Wild River WS86MHF2 Spinning 8'6" MH Fast 2 piece 8 - 17 pound test 3/8 - 11/4 ounce lure weight, 6.7 ounce rod weight $ 150.

What other rods are people using. Ill be fishing from a drift boat on the deshka and similar stuff.

Now for the reel. I dont want anything too large and it needs a decent drag thats not going to have to get rebuilt every year.

Also If i wanted to build a cheaper setup for friends to use since i usually have to outfit them as well what rod and reel would you use?

thanks a ton guys vance
    If you're looking for an inexpensive rod that's almost indestructible I personally don't think Ugly Stiks can be beat. I use both casting and spinning rods for my charters and the Ugly Stiks are pretty much "bullet proof" and very inexpensive. I fish kings and silvers with a 7' medium casting rod that costs just $30 through Cabela's and they have stood up to hundreds of hours of use and occasional abuse and have never failed me.

I can't remember which model spinning rods I use, but I believe they're a 6'6" medium rod. And I've caught plenty of silvers and snagged quite a few reds with them without a single failure. Once again, they are only about $30 through Cabela's and I don't think they can be beat when it comes to a rod in that price range.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

I fish silvers in Kodiak, both on the road system from the bank and in Karluk from a boat. The best rig I have put togather so far is a G-Loomis GL-2 medium action 8'6" spinning rod with a Wavespin DH-5000 reel. At $90 the Wave spin is as good as a Shimano Stratic at half the price. Even in Karluk where the silvers run big (8-15#) I use 12# test with no problem due to the great drag on the Wavespin reel.
    I'll hold on to my Bible & my Guns, you can keep the change!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lgall View Post
    Your rod choice sounds great. As for reels I would stick with a 4000 size reel. I have used a Shimano spheros reel and love it, but recently picked up a Pfleuger president reel. They both are good quality reels with smooth drags. If your looking for loaner type rods reels I would go with an ugly stik light in the 8-17lb version. Good rod and nearly indestructible, pair it with either of the reels and they would have a relatively inexpensive set-up that is still very good.
    I second this guy, I use the President Reel and Ugly Stick Lite for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    I second this guy, I use the President Reel and Ugly Stick Lite for everything.
    I used to buy the Ugly Stik Lite rods, but stopped because I found after extreme repeated use their cork handles would start to deteriorate on me, so I switched over to the EVA foam grips. I think the cork handles are a lot nicer, but they just don't seem to hold up as well as the foam ones.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

What size president is everyone fishing for silvers? And with that are u running 12 or 15 pound line
    NRA life Member JVJ

6940 seems to balance my ugly stick lite just fine. I run 12lb line for silvers, 20lb. for reds and kings.

I also have the 6940, but I spooled mine with 20lb power pro.

I used to use 10-12 lb mono for silvers, but switched to 30 lb PowerPro superbraid (try the new Super8 slick!) with a 20 lb mono 2-3' leader (I like Maxima Ultragreen). Reason is, I've hooked into a few "freight-train" silvers that spooled my spinning reel. With the braid, the 30lb is 8lb mono diameter, so your reel holds lots more. Works great on spinning reels too, no "birds nests".

Advice on 4000 size reels I would ditto. A great new spinning reel is the Penn Conquer....it is braid ready, super corrosian resistant, lots of great features...is about $200 retail at Cabelas, but you can get some better prices on Amazon and Ebay...or check your local stores...I use baitcasting reels now, but my family uses spinning, and we have burnt out a bunch of Shimano and Fin Nor spinning reels...none of the graphite body reels hold up to very many silvers, you need a metal reel like the Conquer.

Ditto on the ugly stick rods for price and durability, but if you want a nice graphite salmon rod that performs well and is made well, at a lower price than the St. Croix (and better feel IMO) try the Berkley IM8 rods by Buzz Ramsey, for $60-85, another great rod is the Shimano Cennan, it's a one-piece rod but another great rod for under $100. I have a bunch of G-Loomis rods too, can't beat them but at $300+ too spendy from what you said.

OK...limon32: why would you run 12lb for silvers and 20 lb for 6lb reds? Is that during the combat fishing so you can horse them in and keep them off others lines?? (that said...I caught a 17lb silver on 6lb mono and a 4 1/2' ultralight rod from shore in the salt!).

I use a loomis 3 Pc escape 7.5' and a Abu-Garcia SX 60 Soron. The drag is sealed its terrific with 30# suffix braid & a short 15 # flouro leader.

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post
    OK...limon32: why would you run 12lb for silvers and 20 lb for 6lb reds? Is that during the combat fishing so you can horse them in and keep them off others lines?? (that said...I caught a 17lb silver on 6lb mono and a 4 1/2' ultralight rod from shore in the salt!).
    Pretty much exactly what you said, I fish silvers from more open banks or a boat with lots of room.

Reds I end up fishing the Russian quite a bit (for the entertainment!) and some of the more popular spots in Soldotna. I've also had some very big reds in the Kenai try to spool me in one of the spots I fish that is VERY swift, I like fishing the spot because the swift water pushes the fish into a narrow slot that makes for great fishing.

My president came with a spare spool and I filled one with Power Pro also, but I use it for a very specific method of trout fishing which requires low line strect and a floating line.

I would AVOID braid on a loaner pole because of its propensity to provide DEEP cuts to "newbies" who grab it with their bare hands.

Well picked up 2 ugly lists in 6'6 medium and two president 6935's and spoiled with p line 100% flouro 15#. Thanks guys.
    NRA life Member JVJ

Quote Originally Posted by akprideinvegas View Post

thanks a ton guys vance
    Im wondering about the drift boat on deshka.... How you gonna git it there? Are you gonna row it there or do you have a motor. Are you going to row up stream and then float back down? What kind of drift boat is it ? A clacka craft? a willie? a koeffler?