Thread: 14C boundry

Default 14C boundry

I have a quick question to, hopefully, validate what I think I know. My buddy and I went up towards Pioneer Peak this weekend looking for black bear. I was fairly certain we were in 14C remainder our whole time going up the trail, we didn't go all the way to the ridge. With that said I was fairly certain we could take a black bear with a harvest ticket (neither of us have taken a BB this regulatory year).

Some people seemed very unsure of this idea, others downright surprized/doubtful. Talked to some State Troopers on Knik River Road, they didn't know. They were blue suiters and that's not really their area of expertise anyway. So now I'm second guessing what I thought I knew.

I know 14C gets confusing, I've been trying to wrap my brain around it to discover the opportunities closer to home for short day hunts.

The hike was pretty rought, I underestimated it for sure. Plenty of big patches of snow above 2000ft elevation. We did spot a bear, brown in color. By the time we bushwacked through alder, snow and devil's club to get closer it was gone. There was a cow with her two calves all the way up on the ridge. We were on a time crunch, we worked this trip in while my son was at the Kid's Day at Birchwood Range. He really enjoyed it again this year.

Thanks for any insight, Ryan.

It appears that the state park boundary is drawn along section lines.

Snap15.jpg
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

That is one of the more convoluted areas as I recall. You need to pick up the big Chugach State Park map from REI. Many of the boundaries are obvious ridge lines separating one drainage from another but I believe that much of the north boundary actually follows an elevation topo line. As long as you are South of Knik River and North of the CSP boundary over there you should be in 14C remainder. Just be mindful that there is lots of private property along Knik River Road!!!

That's what I thought. I do have the map you speak of LuJon, hanging on the wall right behind me as a matter of fact. And yes it is very convoluted, and yes lots of private property along the road. Our plan was to get up high and glass down with the wind/thermals carrying our scent up and away. Easier said than done. The bear we saw and attempted to get to was at about 2700ft elevation and about 1.5km east of the boundry line and 1km west of the Pioneer Ridge Trail. The "no discharge of firearms" sign at the trailhead had us second guessing ourselves, but it looks like we would have been good where we were. Saw plenty of bear poo on the way up, one pile had bells in it and smelled like pepper spray.