Thread: Seldovia?

Default Seldovia?

Hey guys I've really gotten the sea kayak fever this year and was pondering a few trips. Anyone ever ferry over to Seldovia and drive south towards Port Dick? Are the roads public and are there any car rentals or transportaion of any kind going down to the coast? Are there any camping spots down that far or is it all public land? I looked at a few sites on Seldovia but they seem pretty tight lipped about anything other than the town. Thanks guys, and if anyone wants to try this, lets go! Ive fished that area from a boat and all I can say is WOW.

No the road is not public.
    I heard that as of last year the road was impassable in certain spots. Including a washed out or otherwise unusable bridge.
    You would also need permission to cross Native lands as well as someone to open the gate for you. Very unlikely you will find someone who would open the gate for you.
    I have gotten permission for access for berry picking which is easy to get but access was by foot only.
    I would think you would have better luck hiring an air or water taxi to take you to port Dick and drop you off and return for pickup.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

You can rent atv's in Seldovia at the sea parrot but it isn't cheap.
    They rent them by the hour. 4 wheelers and side by side rangers.
    I am unaware of any other rental transportation there.
    I believe it was $25 an hour when we did it 2 years ago.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Oh okay, thanks guys. i thought I had heard that about the area. Sure would be nice if that were an option. Water taxi would probably work best.

Tough to get around outer coast inflatable and plane would probably be cheaper. And less weather dependent.

kk alaska,
    that essay about the winter trip to Gore point was cool. I can't imagine taking up that expedition. I have spent quite a bit of time around some remote North Gulf spots, and its amazing what you can find out there. oh and the fishing is legendary. Ive spent some time on Montague Is, Middleton Is., and a few others. Flying in would be tough, since I really want to take my fishing kayaks and a weeks worth of supplies.

Have you looked at the Inflatable thread with surface drive in canoe section the Saturn Kaboat would be the answer for what you want to do I know its a motor but for a fly in remote would do it all. I have a hard shell sea kayak also.

I'll check it out, but after dropping $2000 on kayaks last week, my budget will have to wait. Thanks for the info KK, maybe we will meet up on the water sometime.