Thread: .17HMR splitting cases?

Default .17HMR splitting cases?

Wife and I went out plinking today and I drug out one of the few Win 9417's in existence and she shot a box of hornady's. Near the end it jammed - something is stuck in the bbl and I have not dislodged it yet - I think either a tip came off or some brass broke off as we has about 10 - 15% neck splits on the new ammo we were shooting. Now, I say new but it is about 5 or six years old - bought it when I got the gun.
    So, my question is has anyone else had trouble with 17 HMR's splitting or might I have a bbl/chamber issue?
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

How do they cycle unfired (obviously safely cycled not pointing at anything you like etc...)? Do they chamber easily and extract unfired easily? Have you put a light down the bore? Brass splitting is bad. Check it and give it a good cleaning then examine further and see what happens...
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

Yip, it used to happen with me. You have to make sure the bore is clean. After any more than 40 rds. I've had split cases with EVERY 17 HMR I've ever owned.

They functioned just fine - smooth cycling - I have not ever cleaned the bore - only shot about 100 rounds thru it since it became a collectors item about a month after I bought it. Very sweet little gun - I am going to buy a cleaning rod for it today and will knock out whatever is stuck ( a new shell will go about 75% of the way in ) so whatever is stuck is only in about 1.25in - should be an easy out.

Thanks Mainer for the input - I can see this little bore being finicky with fouling issues.... I was hoping it was inherant to the 17 and not my individual gun....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Update,
    Bought a good rod and nocked out the obstruction - yes it was a red tipped bullet. The ogive had a fair amount of powder residue stuck to it and it appears as one fires the 17 it tries to shove a lot of powder down a very small opening - thus build up happens quickly. So split cases were likely from this build up causing the bullet to actually start making contact not allowing any room for jump which raised pressure in the cases - a lot! I managed to break off a new brass brush and bent the SS rod - wow what a tight little barrel to deal with! I even dipped the brush in solvent first to help it slide in but was not much help. This may become a safe queen and a new 22 mag lever gun is looking mighty appealing!
    Thanks mainer for the great inputs - you were spot on!