Thread: Copper River: Boat Vs. Foot

Default Copper River: Boat Vs. Foot

This is my first year going to the copper. We're heading down wednesday evening for the thursday opener. We are not familiar at all with the area, can we show up and hike out to spots and start dipping at 12:01, or is the 5am shuttle boat the best option? I'd like to save the $110 and have no problem packing gear (and fish) if it's do-able. Thanks in advance for any info!

First timer, the $110 is well worth it. Hem's knows where to put you. On shore, without experience, the learning curve can be pretty steep, as is the bank to the river.

On the other hand, with the numbers as they are, maybe anyplace will work just fine....no one I know has ever fished the river with that many arriving at once.

One guarantee, it will be an adventure. Wear you PFD.

I'm a cheapskate, so we always walk in. We walk a long way back past the old railroad tunnel because there is a sweet spot about 200 yards past there that we generally limit out in an hour and a half with a good run. You can stop and try other closer spots too. Many people fish them too. I just bring a frame backpack lined with a couple garbage bags and filet the fish on site. It is brutal, but one guy can pack out 15-20 fish. I wouldn't attempt packing out more than that alone. I tried dragging a garden wagon back last year but was wishing for my pack as the trail is a little rough for a garden wagon.
    On the other hand, you may pack in and as you pack the fish out, wonder why you didn't just take the boat! Either way, tie off at all times when you're by the river! Wear a PFD if you want, but IMO, that river would sink you like a rock, PFD or not. Too much churning water with a lot of air bubbles in it, making your PFD less buoyant. The silt will fill up your pockets quickly and you will be done. SO LIKE I SAID, EITHER WAY, TIE OFF!

I would go with the boat if it's your first time and you really want lots of fish. To me, it seems like a safer bet.

Somebody I know rigged up a special mountain bike trailer (single wheel, big enough to strap a large cooler to) and pedaled their fish out one year.

Quote Originally Posted by chupacabra View Post
    I would go with the boat if it's your first time and you really want lots of fish. To me, it seems like a safer bet.

Somebody I know rigged up a special mountain bike trailer (single wheel, big enough to strap a large cooler to) and pedaled their fish out one year.
    This is our first year as well and having read a number of blog posts from folks who've done it in the past, we're taking bikes with trailers and will use those to ferry gear and fish. However, I don't know if I would attempt this myself if I weren't an avid cyclist who spends a lot of time riding the type of rough trail that I hear is out that way.

It will certainly be an adventure. I can't wait!

The trail is good. Great for mountain biking. I've even hiked out fish. Too lazy for that now...