Thread: How do you fish the Kenai?

Default How do you fish the Kenai?

I have been in Alaska off and on since 1991, but I have never spent time on the peninsula until this past weekend when I went on a first time trip on the Kasilof. I was just wondering how they fish the Kings on the Kenai from regular boats (not drift boats). I have researched youtube videos and it looks like they troll for them, so if this is the case, how far up the river from the mouth do they fish? Am I correct that it is trolling? Also, do people ever anchor up and and fish like in hoglines, or is it all trolling? Thanks for any info. I am tired of being curious and would love to know. Thanks for any info.

i have been wondering the same thing for years. no one who knows that river will tell because it gets so much pressure. so i broke down and booked a trip with one of the best guides during peak season. i think that is the only way to figure it out.

good luck guy

Years ago we used to drift fish, meaning just drift down river and bounce the bait off the bottom. When you'd get done drifting through a hole, you'd run upriver and do it again. At this time almost everybody used spin-n-glows and eggs. It was/is/can be very productive.

But nowadays lots of people sit in one place or move slightly up, back, or side to side and do what they call "back bounce". Bait can still be spin-n-glows, but many use quickfish (plugs). It may look like trolling but they are actually just pretty much staying in one spot, not actually trolling upriver.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

they also do what is called "back trolling", fish with plugs but the motor in gear but slow enough the currnet can still push you down stream very slowly, the current pushes the plugs to the bottom with the help of a diver. Dead drift is anther way, basically you want a faster drift, using eggs and spin n glo's and drift through holes. For trout you can do pretty much the same thing, different lures.

Thanks for the answers. I don't have any plans to fish it, I just wanted to know how the most popular river in Alaska worked.

The "crowd" usually dictates the fishing method. If 30 boats are back trolling a hole you don't get to drift it, you better back troll!

Basically King fishing on the Kenai is just like every other river on the west coast. Back troll, drift, back bounce.

Not many people cast spinners since the "holes" are pretty loosely defined on the Kenai and really not reachable except by boat. No hog lines 'cause the river would get plugged off! I don't see much in the way of shrimp fishing like you'd do on the Columbia or Cowlitz, mostly because they are hard to come by I think. No big spinner/spoon fishing like the Colubia either, not sure why.

No hog lines because it is against the rules to anchor in the Kenai before August 1st. and the King season closes on July 31st. You can anchor for Silvers in August.

Quote Originally Posted by gerberman View Post
    No hog lines because it is against the rules to anchor in the Kenai before August 1st. and the King season closes on July 31st. You can anchor for Silvers in August.
    Can you imagine the 500 registered guide boats anchored up below big eddy... What a scene that would be.

I watch drift boats anchor up before August, are they doing so ilegally?

Awesome stuff. I am loving this thread. One thing is for sure, we use a lot more junk down south. Spoons, dodgers, flashers, etc in the mouths of rivers (Umpqua, Columbia, Coos, Cowlitz, Coquille). It seems like Alaskans only like to use these in the salt.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Can you imagine the 500 registered guide boats anchored up below big eddy... What a scene that would be.

I watch drift boats anchor up before August, are they doing so ilegally?
    I would imagine so. Ive watched numerous guides do it on the Kasilof as well and the regs clearly state that anchoring is illegal during the time period of the king run. Not much you can do especially if your cell phone isnt getting reception.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Quote Originally Posted by PAcWest View Post
    Awesome stuff. I am loving this thread. One thing is for sure, we use a lot more junk down south. Spoons, dodgers, flashers, etc in the mouths of rivers (Umpqua, Columbia, Coos, Cowlitz, Coquille). It seems like Alaskans only like to use these in the salt.
    Way to spill ALL the beans!

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    I would imagine so. Ive watched numerous guides do it on the Kasilof as well and the regs clearly state that anchoring is illegal during the time period of the king run. Not much you can do especially if your cell phone isnt getting reception.
    You can anchor on the Kenai as long as you are not obstructing normal boat traffic or drift fishing channels. I would assume it would be ok to anchor up near shore out of everyones way and rig some gear or fix your motor or something.
    Also it is totaly legal to Anchor on the Kasilof and fish. You are not allowed to anchor in the "peoples hole" but every where else it is legal year round fishing or not.
    Just trying to clarify things.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    You can anchor on the Kenai as long as you are not obstructing normal boat traffic or drift fishing channels. I would assume it would be ok to anchor up near shore out of everyones way and rig some gear or fix your motor or something.
    Also it is totaly legal to Anchor on the Kasilof and fish. You are not allowed to anchor in the "peoples hole" but every where else it is legal year round fishing or not.
    Just trying to clarify things.
    what I learned in that guide class is, you can anchor only after the last day of july, basically not during the king run, once you do you can't not leave an anchor line unattended for like 15 mins other wise the parks and rec guys will take it. And while your anchored you can't obstruct the normal travel lanes on the river. Now this doesn't mean you can't anchor up in june or july, but if you do your anchor better be out of the water or your better be in some serious trouble other wise they will fine you. I am sure depending on who pulls you over so to speak you might get away with a warning…..I would much rather take my chances with Allie then Jock (i think that is how you spell his name). Not that he isn't a nice guy but he is pretty black and white when it comes to matters.

Jock?

It's Jacques, as in Cousteau.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD