Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Felt Sole Drowning?

Default Felt Sole Drowning?

I see a young man drowned in Willow Creek. I wonder if he slipped and fell with his non-felt soled boots? Anybody know for sure?

Apparently it was a miner who fell in the creek and drowned. No mention of footwear in article.Stay on standby as there are bound to be some close calls or worse due to lost footing while wading. I know my slip/save ratio is set on tilt right now.

Could just about as easily be a rock falling from space knocking him out......

ah and now it begins... dudes pissed about having their felt soles taken away out on a witch hunt.

Really...You think it was all about felt....Good god people get over it....I wonder how I ever survived all those years fishing in just hip waders...Because we all know how good the traction was in those....Oh and I have had rubber soles on my Korkers for 2 years now and Im still alive....Let it go folks
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Yep!!! Good rubber soles with cleats are so much better than felt with or with out cleats ever was.
    I've been on cleated rubber for 6 years now and would never switch back for any amount of $$$$$.
    Felts are even worse if you are a winter fisherman as the get horrible snow and ice build up.
    Winter steelheading has been so much more fun since the invention of good ruber soled cleated boots.

What amazes me is everyone acting like no one has ever fallen with felt soles. Like drifter said, it's really fun watching someone in felt after the snow starts, and the sticky rubber is better than felt in a lot of conditions.

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?5i0kn4

I know the story behind this unfortunate case and it has nothing to do with this felt sole silliness....unless anyone has anything else to say on the subject I think we can close this one...

My condolances to the family of this gentleman. Please note he was dredging for gold and was not required to givbe up his felt waders if indeed he was wearing them. He was not fishing.

Unhappy Willow Creek drowing...

I waved to them and kayaked by Josh and his friend less than 15 minutes before he fell in a drowned. Their floating pontoon dredge was tied up behind a big boulder out in the middle and most turbulent part of the largest rapid (Five Fingers Rapid, class III+) on Lower Willow Creek's Guardrail section.

Josh had a black drysuit on (difficult to see underwater), had no life jacket on. But what took him down was the 50 lb. diving weight belt he was wearing. Apparently, it wasn't a quick release weight belt, so when Josh slipped and fell into the river, the turbulent whitewater took him straight to the bottom (it's really deep with violent eddylines where he fell in). I helped the 2 state troopers search for him immediately after it happened, but he was no where in sight.

Very unfortunate. Beginner and intermediate kayakers flip their boats and swim through this rapid ALL of the time. The rapid itself is not dangerous, but trying to swim with no life jacket and 50 lbs (imagine swimming while holding 5 bowling balls) is impossible. Take this as a lesson guys, NO weight belts in rivers, it's just not a wise decision at all.

Timmy

My condolences to the family as well. Feel free to contact me anytime for any information you might not already have or just to talk.

Hey guys,see some of you are complaining about no felt soles,I think it is a small price to pay to protect your rivers from didymo.
    We have it real bad in some of our best fishing rivers here (NZ) that was bought here by americans with there felt soles.
    It is pretty devistating to such great rivers stuffed with the stuff, you wouldnt want it in your rivers I can tell you

Quote Originally Posted by Gaza1nz View Post
    Hey guys,see some of you are complaining about no felt soles,I think it is a small price to pay to protect your rivers from didymo.
    We have it real bad in some of our best fishing rivers here (NZ) that was bought here by americans with there felt soles.
    It is pretty devistating to such great rivers stuffed with the stuff, you wouldnt want it in your rivers I can tell you
    Not to high jack a thread but this seems a bit rough for me, I am sure you can agree with me on this one but it is also possible people from NZ came fishing here and brought it back there with them.

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    Not to high jack a thread but this seems a bit rough for me, I am sure you can agree with me on this one but it is also possible people from NZ came fishing here and brought it back there with them.
    Blame Larry Bartlett. He was there last. LOL

it doesnt matter who brought it where. the issue is we dont want it or any other crud to fill our rivers

Very tragic loss of the miner. My condolences as well to his family and friends.

I heard adfg exempted themselves from the felt sole ban. I guess they did not want to go swimming with their rubber soles or tear up airplanes and boats with carbide studs.
    I also seem to recall they thought they found rock snot once then went back and it was gone apparently unable to survive in our waters.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskacreeker View Post
    I waved to them and kayaked by Josh and his friend less than 15 minutes before he fell in a drowned. Their floating pontoon dredge was tied up behind a big boulder out in the middle and most turbulent part of the largest rapid (Five Fingers Rapid, class III+) on Lower Willow Creek's Guardrail section.

Josh had a black drysuit on (difficult to see underwater), had no life jacket on. But what took him down was the 50 lb. diving weight belt he was wearing. Apparently, it wasn't a quick release weight belt, so when Josh slipped and fell into the river, the turbulent whitewater took him straight to the bottom (it's really deep with violent eddylines where he fell in). I helped the 2 state troopers search for him immediately after it happened, but he was no where in sight.

Very unfortunate. Beginner and intermediate kayakers flip their boats and swim through this rapid ALL of the time. The rapid itself is not dangerous, but trying to swim with no life jacket and 50 lbs (imagine swimming while holding 5 bowling balls) is impossible. Take this as a lesson guys, NO weight belts in rivers, it's just not a wise decision at all.

Timmy
    Actually, I have to interject a story here. While running my john boat on step on the Mississippi river, I hit something that I did not see. I was hoping it was a giant catfish head so I turned around and it was a dang bowling ball. A nice one too. A brunswick 16 pounder. They freaking float. Apparently there is compressed cork in them and they float all day long. To this day, I am the only person I know who has hit a bowling ball with a boat. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by extrema View Post
    I heard adfg exempted themselves from the felt sole ban. I guess they did not want to go swimming with their rubber soles or tear up airplanes and boats with carbide studs.
    I also seem to recall they thought they found rock snot once then went back and it was gone apparently unable to survive in our waters.
    This is incorrect. There have been no exemptions, in fact Divison of Sport Fish made it a policy to not wear felt soles while fishing or working (and not fishing) 2 years ago when the regulation was adopted and not yet in effect.

Didymo has been confirmed in some SE streams.

Regardless, felt soles are still legal for gold mining.

Board of Fisheries banned them for fishing and subsequently the Board of Game did the same for hunting. Still legal for other uses.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Quote Originally Posted by aktally View Post
    This is incorrect. There have been no exemptions, in fact Divison of Sport Fish made it a policy to not wear felt soles while fishing or working (and not fishing) 2 years ago when the regulation was adopted and not yet in effect.

Didymo has been confirmed in some SE streams.
    This too is also incorrect. Exemptions have been made...Handicapped Anglers can and have gotten exemptions in Alaska. If any of the ADF&G employees are handicapped, they too should be eligible for the exemption.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast