Thread: Ak Fishing News: SE Alaska Rockfish Regulations Set For 2007

Arrow Ak Fishing News: SE Alaska Rockfish Regulations Set For 2007

This news clip is from Alaska Fishing News. Discussion is welcome. This news feed is robot generated.

From an ADFG news release:

The Alaska Department of Fish and Game announced today the sport fishing bag and possession limits, and the mandatory retention of non-pelagic rockfish. Nonresident angler annual limits of yelloweye rockfish have also been established for the 2007 season. The following regulations become effective 12:01 A.M. May 16, 2007.

• All non-pelagic rockfish caught must be retained until the bag limit is reached.
    • The resident bag limit is three non-pelagic rockfish only one of which may be a yelloweye; possession limit of six fish, two of which may be yelloweye.
    • The nonresident bag limit is two non-pelagic rockfish only one of which may be a yelloweye; possession limit of four fish, two of which may be yelloweye; with an annual limit of two yelloweye rockfish. Nonresident anglers must record all yelloweye rockfish harvested, in ink, either on the back of their sport fishing license, or on a nontransferable harvest record immediately.
    • Charter operators and crew members may not retain non-pelagic rockfish while clients are on board the vessel.
    These regulations apply in all marine waters of Southeast Alaska as a means to reduce total mortality, keep regulations consistent to avoid angler confusion, and improve enforcement.

The Board of Fisheries established management provisions for a subgroup of non-pelagic rockfish (demersal shelf rockfish) to be imposed within the sport fishery for controlling harvest (5 AAC 47.065). The board acted upon concerns regarding recent harvest levels of demersal shelf rockfish within the sport fishery during 2001 and 2005. The Board allocated 16% (66 metric tons) of the total allowable catch of demersal shelf rockfish to the sport fishery. An approximate harvest of 71 metric tons during the 2006 season dictates that further restrictions are required. The measures being imposed during 2007 are intended to reduce harvest and total mortality to within the 66 metric ton allocation.

Read the individual article on Alaska Fishing News...

We welcome news tips that are useful to the community. Please send tips and links to complete stories by email to
    webmaster@outdoorsdirectory.com.

1250 miles S/O paradise in the lwr 48 dreaming of SE AK

I have an 11 day fishing trip planned for Ketchikan and I can only keep 5 fish for the year non resident? I ling and 4 rock fish am I not understanding this right? If that is the case I am better off to stay and fish Wa & Or. What is a non pelagic rock fish?
    Mike

Default just possession

that just means fish that haven't been frozen or canned yet, as soon as you freeze them you can catch more. plus you also will be catching halibut and salmon. Go to fish and games website and it explains it. Don't worry you will probably end up with more fish than you could deal with on an eleven day trip.

Wheew thanks it didn't sound right.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by akfishfool View Post
    that just means fish that haven't been frozen or canned yet, as soon as you freeze them you can catch more. plus you also will be catching halibut and salmon. Go to fish and games website and it explains it. Don't worry you will probably end up with more fish than you could deal with on an eleven day trip.

What are you talking about??? A 1 fish (ling) or 2 fish (yelloweye) annual limit means just that, you don't get to start over once you freeze them. Why do you think you have to record these fish on the back of your license once you catch 1.
    Good luck explaining this to the fish cops, but officer, those fish are already in the freezer, they don't count.

"Nonresident angler annual limits of yelloweye rockfish have also been established for the 2007 season."

I see where it says non-resident annual limits. Where does it say an "annual" limit for residents?

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Bag limits are what you can take in a 24 hour period. They "re-set" every day.
    Posession limits are what you have with you, "in posession." These are the limits you don't want to get caught with too many fish on. They "re-set" when the fish are canned, frozen solid, or consumed.
    Annual limits are just that... take limits that "re-set" every calendar year.

My bi*ch with annual limits is that as a guide I'm not allowed to "enforce" the law - that's a trooper's job. If, however, someone asks me to buy another license because their harvest record is full, I'm not supposed to deny them a license as a vendor! Okay, so I know someone is lying to me, I'm not allowed to argue with them, I'm not allowed to deny them the license, but I get a FAT ticket if they get caught breaking the law while I'm guiding them. Go figure!

-Case

PS: To the OP with the 11 day trip - be sure to check the limits for halibut and King, Coho, Sockeye & Chum salmon. If you really want to be a "meat hunter" there's still opportunity to take home hundreds of pounds of fish. It's getting to the point where us guides need to be more versatile though. I know a great halibut captain here in Juneau that had a very rough season last year because they didn't have a clue how to troll for salmon. Why pay for a 10-hour halibut trip when they've got you limited in 2 hours, but can't catch a salmon to keep everyone interested in the rest of the day?

I take it as a challenge. Limit on fat, hard fighting kings first, jig up a few flatties over lunch, and spend the evening close to home playing with rock fish... then if you get anything worthwhile out of the rock pile, you can keep 1 or 2 nice sized ones... Do the same the next day, etc... When annual limits start filling, go look for some different types of fish to chase!
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It doesn't really change that much because you have always only been able to carry a 2 day limit with you on a boat. On a 11 day trip you'll never be able to eat half of that fish you catch anyway. You better stay in Wa or Or, much better fishing
    Boatless

Thanks Fish Face I probably deserved the snide remark my comment did not read very well. I will be coming though like it or not. I guess I have just got preconcieved notions from all the fishing shows I have seen on TV about Alaska and was really taken back when I read this post about the catch limits. I really am not that much of a meat hunter I have caught and released thousands of fish on the Pacific.

My back is shot now and I have a hard time fishing in the large swells of the Pacific and no longer live on the Or. coast. The protected type waters Ketchikan has are what is drawing me there to do my favorite type of fishing.

Rock fishing is my favorite I generally like to fish shallow areas with light gear. This allows for release of small fish and their survival. I do salmon fish and will while I am there but I am not a big salmon fan eating wise. I was hoping to catch and vac pack a nice supply of white meat fish, actually it lasts me quit a while it is just my wife and I and she doesn't eat fish or seafood at all. That is fine for me she can have a burger or chicken.

My 11 day trip is self guided in my own boat returning to a base camp each day at Clover Pass Lodge in Ketchikan.
    Mike
    Last edited by Gundog; 04-15-2007 at 13:37.

sounds like a good time , wish you much luck
    Boatless

Default my bad

My bad on the yearly limit, I didn't see that part , and I thought he was referring to possesion limits.

How long ago was it when there was no limit on rock bass? Heard stories of folks with stringer of 100 fish. Always seems odd how no limit goes to 5 which goes down...to ?