Thread: scadden patch

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Default scadden patch

A friend bought a dave scadden boat at the sportsmans show. 2nd use on a river and he discovered a leak. Any idea what to patch it with? I am thinking it is pvc. We threw some tape from my aire patch kit on it but we need to find a long term solution.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

I think they are made of chinese pvc. I have some liquid urethane that feel sure will take care of what I see on the photo. Will be glad to put some on her, at no charge this week some time, need a sunny day. You get what you pay for!!!
    Just send me an e-mail sotaralaska@yahoo.com. and can set up a time. I am in south Anch. close to the zoo.
    Goo Vogt
    ALASKA WILDWATER

Thanks, Goo. I will pass your info to him. He is a bit upset because he has not used it much and it supposedly has a lifetime warranty, but not worth shipping it to utah and back during the short season.

Also, this is the first time I have had to patch a raft. the hole was small enough we used dish soap to find it. I will be putting some dish soap in my patch kit.

Default Try Aquaseal

I had a leak along the seam of one tube on my McKenzie Drifter Cataraft. I contacted Dave Scadden and he told me to use plain old Aquaseal to fix the leak. That was probably 5 years ago and it's still working like a champ.

I wonder what made those scratches in the fabric. My Cat has been surprisingly durable, although I mostly use it on the smaller streams like Willow and Little Willow. It might get more of a workout later this month, as I plan to give it a try on the Gulkana.

Hope that helps.

RN4CVR

Hello Scott,

This is a straightforward PVC repair. Repair work should be done with one to several (depending on # of leaks) round patches that overlap the damage area. You do not want to go with one large patch if you do not need it, plus you'll get more dependability out of 1-2 smaller well applied patches vs. one large that is too big. Preparation, adhesive, fabric selection, and follow-up finish-work will all play a role in a lasting repair.

(edited)

Your friend should be therefore inclined to use the inflatable in the least of demanding conditions, carry a comprehensive field repair kit plus pump, and know how to make certain repairs while out on streams as well as at home.

1-part Urethane (like aquaseal) is marginal. It is more for field situations and particularly when there is little prep from MEK and a primer like PVC glue... it will not adhere very well for all that long.

1-part Urethane like GEAUX describes can work better than the aquaseal stuff, yet without prep will also peel off. Have to remember GEAUX will do the prep where most will not!

2-part Urethane is the best... however again without prep... not worth it.

Simple pvc patching method is best here!

Quote Originally Posted by scott_rn View Post
    A friend bought a dave scadden boat at the sportsmans show. 2nd use on a river and he discovered a leak. Any idea what to patch it with? I am thinking it is pvc. We threw some tape from my aire patch kit on it but we need to find a long term solution.
    Last edited by Michael Strahan; 06-04-2012 at 10:30.

Aquaseal is a thick urethane-- I mix my own only thinner and use several coats. Be sure to prep with tetrahydrafuron-THF, to make it part of the fabric. Got over 30 yrs. of doing this.
    Goo

Brian & Goo, I tried to talk him into buying a sotar, especially last year when they were closing out those tan cat tubes. Dude said he wanted the scadden.

Hi folks,

Just a reminder here. This site does not allow negative comments directed at businesses. I have had to do some light editing in this thread in order to keep it clean. Please understand that though we recognize that there are companies and products out there that we want to warn people about, this site has to steer clear of that for legal reasons. To help you understand the risks we face, last year another forum site was sued because they allowed members to post their negative experiences with another business. They won the suit, but they had to spend $90,000 defending themselves in court. So though the forum members of that site (and of this one) want to warn each other about inferior products and services, the site owner has to bear all the risks if they allow it. As one attorney told me recently, the issue isn't whether or not you win the case, it's having to go to court at all. This site isn't going to take that risk. Our position is that if you need to warn someone about a business or a product, please do it privately.

We also don't allow commercial messages unless it is in a forum that you are currently sponsoring. Some of our members run afoul of this when they're just trying to help people. We don't want you to quit helping folks (this site is ALL ABOUT helping people). Just be careful when you're referring people to your products or services. Especially if you're not advertising with us. I am convinced that in almost all cases, the poster is just trying to help the community. But there are a small number of posters who are abusing the situation and we know who you are! We will continue doing whatever is necessary to protect the interests of our advertiser, including editing or deleting posts that violate the commercial content rule.

It's not our desire to ding everyone for just trying to help out. But we ask that you familiarize yourself with these two rules. It makes our job easier, it doesn't force us to edit your stuff, and it makes for a friendlier community environment.

Finally, we're doing what we can to keep the forums free of commercial messages, but this site would not exist without advertising. If you are a business owner who wants to advertise with us, by all means contact us for your options, or visit our Marketing Pages.

Best regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Hi folks,

Just a reminder here. This site does not allow negative comments directed at businesses. I have had to do some light editing in this thread in order to keep it clean. Please understand that though we recognize that there are companies and products out there that we want to warn people about, this site has to steer clear of that for legal reasons. To help you understand the risks we face, last year another forum site was sued because they allowed members to post their negative experiences with another business. They won the suit, but they had to spend $90,000 defending themselves in court. So though the forum members of that site (and of this one) want to warn each other about inferior products and services, the site owner has to bear all the risks if they allow it. As one attorney told me recently, the issue isn't whether or not you win the case, it's having to go to court at all. This site isn't going to take that risk. Our position is that if you need to warn someone about a business or a product, please do it privately.

We also don't allow commercial messages unless it is in a forum that you are currently sponsoring. Some of our members run afoul of this when they're just trying to help people. We don't want you to quit helping folks (this site is ALL ABOUT helping people). Just be careful when you're referring people to your products or services. Especially if you're not advertising with us. I am convinced that in almost all cases, the poster is just trying to help the community. But there are a small number of posters who are abusing the situation and we know who you are! We will continue doing whatever is necessary to protect the interests of our advertiser, including editing or deleting posts that violate the commercial content rule.

It's not our desire to ding everyone for just trying to help out. But we ask that you familiarize yourself with these two rules. It makes our job easier, it doesn't force us to edit your stuff, and it makes for a friendlier community environment.

Finally, we're doing what we can to keep the forums free of commercial messages, but this site would not exist without advertising. If you are a business owner who wants to advertise with us, by all means contact us for your options, or visit our Marketing Pages.

Best regards,

-Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by scott_rn View Post
    Brian & Goo, I tried to talk him into buying a sotar, especially last year when they were closing out those tan cat tubes. Dude said he wanted the scadden.
    Sometimes it's amazing to find the major differences in qualities without much differences in overall expenditure.

Sometimes it's hard to believe a guy will be wearing Simms Waders, with a nice Sage, and yet they are in these type of boats.

Sometimes it's crazy to receive reputation points (thank you) for true information by readers here --- meanwhile getting edited plus infraction statement by another at 9:30am! For the record there was no salesmanship or marketing!!!

Funny how negative things have been directed at others on here like myself - yet stick around 'til occasionally I have even made the call!!!

Here is an example of this by LB: he writes about me here with regards to a "skinny rip-off"... http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...t=#post1112534
    "interesting that you tried to make a rip off of the attributes of the pro pioneer and radical in that green thing you're marketing as a skinny hybrid. I guess some things about the PP and radical are worthy of your attention, but the obvious attributes of performance are not." Funny I also do not see LB a sponsor of a rafting, kayaking, canoe, or float hunting forum? but???

I might not Sue ya Mike... lol! I'll plainly see this as others will as double standard (noticing that there are indeed edits to this whole Atigun thread in review)! Not a complaint just calling out the obvious!

For the record: I'm not condemning Scad boats! They are what they are --- a lighter construction PVC inflatable boat --- but certainly NOT a great selection for more demanding conditions like tougher whitewater, sharp rocks or sticks in shallows, heavier loads duty, and if you're not into doing repairs without proper kit/preparedness.

I'll say it more politically correct this time so as not to be "edited & infraction upon" --- I encourage people at very least to do just a little research before an inflatable boat purchase here in Alaska. Talk to avid boaters or on-water professionals here in Alaska. No matter what the branding... if it's a price-point issue we all get it - all ok. If much of it is hyperbole or show-snow it can be sorted out.

Hello Mike -

I do understand the legal risk and can appreciate this part for the sake of the argument... and please note the name SUE ya MIKE... lol! is a play on names.

Intentions to help the PVC patch repair along where genuine as well as providing the more efficient solutions for not having to sending the boat back to company vs. getting back on water and any future repair needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Richardson View Post
    Sometimes it's amazing to find the major differences in qualities without much differences in overall expenditure.

Sometimes it's hard to believe a guy will be wearing Simms Waders, with a nice Sage, and yet they are in these type of boats.

Sometimes it's crazy to receive reputation points (thank you) for true information by readers here --- meanwhile getting edited plus infraction statement by another at 9:30am! For the record there was no salesmanship or marketing!!!

Funny how negative things have been directed at others on here like myself - yet stick around 'til occasionally I have even made the call!!!

Here is an example of this by LB: he writes about me here with regards to a "skinny rip-off"... http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...t=#post1112534
    "interesting that you tried to make a rip off of the attributes of the pro pioneer and radical in that green thing you're marketing as a skinny hybrid. I guess some things about the PP and radical are worthy of your attention, but the obvious attributes of performance are not." Funny I also do not see LB a sponsor of a rafting, kayaking, canoe, or float hunting forum? but???

I might not Sue ya Mike... lol! I'll plainly see this as others will as double standard (noticing that there are indeed edits to this whole Atigun thread in review)! Not a complaint just calling out the obvious!

For the record: I'm not condemning Scad boats! They are what they are --- a lighter construction PVC inflatable boat --- but certainly NOT a great selection for more demanding conditions like tougher whitewater, sharp rocks or sticks in shallows, heavier loads duty, and if you're not into doing repairs without proper kit/preparedness.

I'll say it more politically correct this time so as not to be "edited & infraction upon" --- I encourage people at very least to do just a little research before an inflatable boat purchase here in Alaska. Talk to avid boaters or on-water professionals here in Alaska. No matter what the branding... if it's a price-point issue we all get it - all ok. If much of it is hyperbole or show-snow it can be sorted out.
    Normally I would deal with this privately (because it was directed at me), however your grievance is somewhat common. We have discussed this before, so you should know it already, but here goes. The complaint that our moderators are biased is just something that we are going to have to live with. Not that the mods are biased, but we have to live with the allegation that they are. Nothing we can do about the perception other than to continue our attempt at consistency. I have told you directly and now say to the entire forum community, that if you see a post that violates our forum rules, the proper way to handle that is to report it via the "report post" function. That's the little triangle with the exclamation point at the bottom left of each post. If you report the post, you get the opportunity to tell us why you're reporting it, and the report goes directly to our mods so we can deal with it. Please do that or we may miss it. And please don't assume that we've read everything that gets posted here. Last time I checked we were in excess of 50,000 members here with hundreds of posts a day. We cannot read it all, and we rely on the community itself to help us keep it clean. If you fail to report an offending post, and we don't catch it, please don't accuse us of being biased to or against anyone. It's simply not true. I had to smile at the example you used (which I had not seen- nor had it been reported... I'll look at it). Given the history between Larry and I years ago, that you would suggest that I am biased toward him... well... Really? Larry and I have a much better working relationship now than ever before, but I am certainly not biased toward him or anyone else that I am aware of. Yes, I do have friends who advertise with us (and friends who don't). But I try to keep those relationships separate from enforcing our rules.

So (once again) please utilize the "report post" function, and note why you are reporting it. We will deal with reported posts as they come in.

Finally, none of this is about "political correctness". It's about following our rules.

Thanks!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

I have a 3person Scadden cat that I bought used from a forum member 5 years ago. No it is not a Soar or Aire, but I have put this boat through hell and it still looks new. I think AlaskaChuck will tell you, that the first day to row a Cat, my daughter and I bounced off of everything on the river. Yes I have been looking for a bigger raft or cat, but have not seen anything that does the job better for 1-3 people. Just my 2 cents.

Not sure what happened on patching that cat? I just mixed up a new gallon of liquid urethane and have a week before my shipment of the type of rafts, frames, ect. that I sell come in on the barge-- So a bit of time to help folks out.
    Am still willing to fix your problem for free. Not trying to sell anyone anything as I am not an advertiser on this or any other forum.
    Goo

Goo & Brian, I really appreciate the willingness the two of you have to help others & give advice! Rookies like me NEED it :-)
    Brian, I have never dealt with you on a raft repair (haven't needed one), but you may remember me as the guy from Kenai who bought a used camera from you for a Christmas present for my daughter 2 or 3 yrs ago. There were some issues & you dealt with them with integrity.
    Thanks again!

Mike, I appreciate the forum & the MASSIVE amount of work it is to keep it running smothely.
    I (WE) don't say it enough, but THANK YOU!!!
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    Goo & Brian, I really appreciate the willingness the two of you have to help others & give advice! Rookies like me NEED it :-)
    Brian, I have never dealt with you on a raft repair (haven't needed one), but you may remember me as the guy from Kenai who bought a used camera from you for a Christmas present for my daughter 2 or 3 yrs ago. There were some issues & you dealt with them with integrity.
    Thanks again!

Mike, I appreciate the forum & the MASSIVE amount of work it is to keep it running smothely.
    I (WE) don't say it enough, but THANK YOU!!!
    Hello Vance,

Yes - I do remember, and thank you for the thoughtful post.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Richardson View Post
    Hello Vance,

Yes - I do remember, and thank you for the thoughtful post.
    If I ever decide it's worth putting some money in the old Udisco I talked to you about I'll be giving you a call about coating the lower half!
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Not to stir the pot but I see more blatant off hand comments in the rafting section than anywhere else. Seems to be a circle of unfriendliness between those that market and or/offer up services.

But that's just my opinion.

Anyways keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Not to stir the pot but I see more blatant off hand comments in the rafting section than anywhere else. Seems to be a circle of unfriendliness between those that market and or/offer up services.

But that's just my opinion.

Anyways keep up the good work.
    We're trying to keep it on an even keel; we want this place to be fun! There's a lot of competition in the industry, contempt toward certain brands, and at the same time we're trying to protect the sponsor of this forum, since he's the guy paying the bills. He doesn't write much here because his summers are jammed with clients and moving product out the door. Come to think of it I don't think he's ever reported a post to us...

Anyway, I'm grateful for everyone who participates. It's a team effort.

Mike

Smile DSP

I wasn't going to say... until you posted this...

we want this place to be fun!
    ... but.... with all due respect, the words below don't sound too much unlike what the movie Animal House called: "Double Secret Probation"

...posters who are abusing the situation and we know who you are!