Thread: Squirrley Pete

Default Squirrley Pete

A baby squirrel was on the front step when I went to work a couple of weeks ago. I checked at noon and he was still there. By the end of the day he was freezing, so I gathered him up.

Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Made him a bed in a box

He was pretty much dead to the world for a day. Then he got fiesty, the attack squirrel. Then he got used to my hand and would come to snuggle up.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

After a few days getting back on his feet, I would carry his box out to another squirrel midden so he could hear the soounds of his kind.
    I woould hold him out to the other babies, which were bigger than him.

Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

I carried him to every tree that had squirrels in it. I was hoping to have his mommy recognize him, but no luck. They were all very interested. After a few days of this I decided to get bolder.

I got a stick (to knock him out of the tree if he took off for the top). Then I set him on top of the bird/squirrel house. I was thinking he would be scared and sit there looking around. Wrong! 2 steps and he was inside the house. It was full of squirrels. I expected a big fight, but the other bigger babies didn't make a peep. Then Patricia came home, she's the mom. Not a sound.
    Pretty soon her head popped out. I could tell by the way she was kinda bouncing that the babies were nursing. Too cool. Then I wanted Petey back, as he is a fun guy, but I left him in his new home.

Soon he came out for a bite of apple, which he loves.

Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

He loves his apples. I go out everyday and keep the connection with him. We hand fed the tree rats every year and they are used to me moving things around, including the bird houses they took over. The bird houses used to be on my fence, but when I rebuilt that I leaned 3 of them against a tree. It has become the mdden for the squirrel du jour. There is the main house, the addition and the condo.

So he is a happy camper with new digs. still comes out and chews my finger, gently. I think he misses our adventures together.

Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

His new family
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Nice job, that is a pretty funny to see the squirrel condos. Good on you, great pictures.

Jay
    “The mountains are calling and I must go.” - John Muir

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln

Cute story/pictures, and I'm glad you are enjoying them. Me... I am at war with them and am currently winning. All of my garbage cans have holes gnawed into them and they have nested in my shed and chewed things up good. A snakecharmer .410 is slightly overkill but is always at the ready by my door since the squirrel internet has listed my property as an easy mark.

When I was growing up there was ALWAYS a shotgun by the door. We used it on squirrels and magpies.

We have war here when they try to move into the attic. A strobe light freaks them out and they leave fast. A garden hose seems to keep 'em moving too.

Or the time I left the cabin window cracked open. They destroyed everything, including opening the fridg. ???

As I was cleaning up one jumped in the window and the chase was on! I have his tail hanging in the tree.

But my little buddy Petey, he had the run of the place. ;)
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

THis year I have squirals and weasels running around the yard, I set traps, snares, the only way to get em is a .22, they are trying to break into the floor joists, I heard em chewing on wood under the house, so we foamed all cracks and holes. No problem since but if you go the dump(gotta call it a land fill) they are everywhere, I lived here all my life and never seen this vermon move in like this, its crazy!
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

My dad has a couple of bird feeders out. The squirrels tend to empty them regularly.
    He didn't want to just shoot them all.
    So I bought him a live trap for christmas. He was releasing them down the road a few miles.
    A couple of times they would get in the trap and knock it off the deck railing where he had it set next to his bird feeder.
    I wondered why he didn't secure it but figured what could a squirrel really do?
    One day it dissappeared. He told me he didn't think the dog could drag it very far.
    I suggested maybe an Eagle or Hawk had grabbed it trap and all.
    Months later he found it in the woods all beat up and no squirrel.
    I still think a large bird grabbed it and dropped it into the woods. I suppose we will never know.
    I have seen how they capture eagles and owls etc. It is a thin wire cage with a mouse in it secured to the ground. The top is looped with monofilament fishing line.
    The birds talons get hooked in the fishing line trying for the mouse and they can then secure the bird for their research. Thats why I think an eagle grabbed it.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Kasilof, I am betting a big bird also. I saw a gosh hawk here trying to lift off with one of the bird houses. I think the post made it too heavy to lift. Funny to watch though. (Petunia probably didn't see the humor)
    Kodiak, another deterrent is grease. If you can smear automotive grease where they travel, they won't come in. I have also had luck with mothballs. Not as long lasting as the grease, as they can gather all the mothballs up and drop them on your porch. If you're quiet, you can hear them laughing at you.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it