Thread: Daves Creek

Default Daves Creek

Do you enjoy the mountain bike beauty combined with the creek paddle fun? If so, I recommend Daves Creek for your pleasure in the natural world. Leave your boat at Tern Lake Campground below the bridge where Daves Creek drains out of Tern Lake (pic 1). This area - including the creek - has been restored in recent years and is worth a visit if you haven't stopped lately.

ftp://ftp2.fs.fed.us/incoming/chugto...ry_3-11-11.pdf

Drive your vehicle down to the Quartz Creek Boat Ramp on Kenai Lake and leave it there. Hop on your bike and ride back to Tern Lake (approx. 8 miles). You can ride the Sterling Highway which is pretty quick, or take the 4wd road out of the Crescent Creek Trailhead parking lot to Tern Lake (there are still patches of snow and lots of mud to navigate on this route, so it takes quite a bit longer but I think it's the more aesthetically pleasing line...)

Leave your bike at Tern Lake and hop in your boat. I used a tandem SOT kayak and wore a wetsuit which was perfect for this trip. Lots of hopping in and out to get over (and under) fallen trees for the first few miles (pic 2). Maybe 20-30 times? Flow picked up and no trees down after hitting Quartz Creek (mile 5); even more bumpy, splashy, fun after the confluence with Crescent Creek (mile 6). Paddle into Kenai Lake under the huge power lines and head right around the corner back to the Quartz Creek boat ramp to complete the loop.

A super fun trip with great views of tight forest and snowy peaks but be warned - you will be getting in and out of your boat many times, you will get wet, and - if you're like me - you will emerge with a scratched up, branch-eaten face. A great way to spend a day!
    Attached Images Attached Images

A quick follow-up question: anybody know if Quartz Creek is runnable from Jerome Lake (or some other point on the Seward Highway, maybe mile 42.5?) down to the Sterling Highway? Thanks!