Thread: 38 super?

Default 38 super?

I just bought a colt 1911 chambered in 38 super! Put 1/2 box down the barrel and I love the way it shoots. Any thoughts on the 38 super?

You can get twice as much for them in Mexico.Nice little guns for sure.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

It's a step up from 9mm, but lags behind .357 Sig. It's an older round, but never seemed to get much traction. There were even Tommy guns in .38 super.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Its a sweet shooting little round Id love to have that set up, would make a great woods gun for the lower 48 or after the big fuzzies are asleep, flat shooting light recoiling sweetheart. ENJOY
    RLTW
    HUNT HARD HUNT SAFE
    WILL

I had an OLD one, four digit serial number, commercial model in the box with the paperwork. From what I understand, PD's and the FBI were looking for something that would penetrate auto bodies and disable engines (circa "prohibition") Factory loads back then, and for a long time, included "armor piercing" rounds that would penetrate the old cast iron engines that bad buys preferred.
    Now, the .38 Super had a small rim, but headspaced on the mouth, with a fairly sloppy chamber. With mine, I was lucky to keep two shots in the same county. Accuracy was horrible, and no, at the time, it wasn't me, I was shooting competitively in the local pistol leagues (Cheyenne, 1975-79). I traded mine off, straight across, for a NIB S&W Model 27, and never looked back.
    Down here, when we get "recent arrivals of questionable citizenship" in the store, one of the very first things they ask for is "38 Sooooper, por favor"? Mexico prohibits firearms using "military" loads, hence the .38 Super's popularity, mostly because it ain't a .45, and not because of some mystical performance from the Super, making is superior.
    Recent guns headspace on the rim, with tighter tolerances in the chamber, and barrel/slide fit, yadayada.....and they'll make "major" a LOT easier than any 9mm load.

Quote Originally Posted by D&R View Post
    I just bought a colt 1911 chambered in 38 super! Put 1/2 box down the barrel and I love the way it shoots. Any thoughts on the 38 super?

Cool guns. We get irregular shipments from Colt and they sell out as fast as we can tag them

I have a very nice commercial model made about 1960 in the colt box with papers. I take it out and shoot it on special occasions and it is a very nice shooting plain 1911A1 style gun. I shot a custom race gun in the caliber for a decade or so and found it to be an excellent cartridge for accuracy and ease of loading. Better than a 9x19.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by .338-06 View Post
    It's a step up from 9mm, but lags behind .357 Sig. It's an older round, but never seemed to get much traction. There were even Tommy guns in .38 super.

I once did a report on Tommy guns and had an original catalog at the time but, never saw one in .38 Super?? These fired from an open bolt, I think this would be dangerous with the pressure the Super developes? Post some concuring info please?
    Steve

How about gangster John Dillingers full auto 1911 38 super with extended mag.

Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

The 38 Super was introduced by Colt in 1929. A much more powerful version of the 1900 38 ACP cartridge. Originally the cartridge was designed to headspace on that slight rim and that with varying case length (of less importance since it head-spaced on the rim) and rim thickness, caused ignition/accuracy problems. New brass and chambers made to headspace on the case mouth solved the accuracy problems and in the 80's and 90's we made very accurate guns chambered for this old nine millimeter. I won a bet with a guy about 20 years ago when he said my expensive race gun was made to just shoot fast not accurate. I shot a nice 5 inch group on a target for him and showed him the gun was accurate. That group was shot at 300 yards. I think he bought dinner.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

The 1911 Super did well against the the S&W 52 in minor bullseye matches.Also the largest semi auto caliber legally owned in Mexico.Many a Super was traded stright across for Colt SAA in Mexico for good profit on the American side.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
    I once did a report on Tommy guns and had an original catalog at the time but, never saw one in .38 Super?? These fired from an open bolt, I think this would be dangerous with the pressure the Super developes? Post some concuring info please?
    Steve
    There's supposed to be a reference to .38 Super Thompsons in this book, "Thompson: The American Legend", but I haven't read it. My reference is personal and came from a former boss of my mother's who said he carried a ".38 Thompson" in the Vietnam war. I told him there weren't any '.38 Tommy guns' and he laughed at me. At the time (pre-internet), I thought he meant the .38 Special-I didn't even know there was a .38 Super cartridge. Since then I've read articles that mention Thompsons in .38 Super, but just in passing.

Thanks for the comments.I learned more about the super. Thanks again.

.338-06, all were .45 ACP(standard military pistol cartridge at the time).
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
    .338-06, all were .45 ACP(standard military pistol cartridge at the time).
    Steve
    OK..........I'm sure only standard military cartridges and weapons were used during the Vietnam War, or any other conflict.

The only thing with that story is I think it would be pretty tough to come across 38 super ammo in Vietnam, and having a tommy gun with nothing to feed it would not be a terribly useful combination. No doubt there were some uncommon weapons over there, but I'm having a hard time figuring something so rare and with such difficult to obtain ammo being used in country.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

That is awesome,!