Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Delorme InReach

If one pairs the inreach with an iPhone, can he select his message recipients at will? In other words, would you be limited to pre-loaded contacts or can you pick and choose to whom you send the message at the time of message creation?

I am almost certain (isn't it always dangerous to assume?) that the iPhone will function like the PN-60w when paired with the inReach. With the PN-60w I can pick and choose and have even added new contacts at the time of message creation.

-Dan

Default ??????

Hello everyone,

I have been hunting for years with my Grandpa and he is now getting way up there in age and is not able to do lots of stuff but whenever we go out hunting we lose cell service and the closest place to cell service is 8 hours by wheeler and then another 40 minute drive by truck. I was reading some reviews about the Spot Connect and then today I was at Sportsmans Warehouse and saw the DeLorme InReach. I am not really sure what one I want to get. I would be using my Iphone4 with the App for either one but I just dont know what one to get.

I like that you can send 2 way texts with InReach. I really don't get there plans though. I would only use it for maybe 3 month or just even a month. Does anyone know how this works can you only use it for a month and that is it or do you have to do a whole year? Also does it work with no cell service?

Thanks,

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter15 View Post
    Hello everyone,

I have been hunting for years with my Grandpa and he is now getting way up there in age and is not able to do lots of stuff but whenever we go out hunting we lose cell service and the closest place to cell service is 8 hours by wheeler and then another 40 minute drive by truck. I was reading some reviews about the Spot Connect and then today I was at Sportsmans Warehouse and saw the DeLorme InReach. I am not really sure what one I want to get. I would be using my Iphone4 with the App for either one but I just dont know what one to get.

I like that you can send 2 way texts with InReach. I really don't get there plans though. I would only use it for maybe 3 month or just even a month. Does anyone know how this works can you only use it for a month and that is it or do you have to do a whole year? Also does it work with no cell service?

Thanks,

Ted
    Hi Ted,

I've been out hunting and have not been available to respond to your questions but I will answer them now.

Thanks for thinking about your, and your Grandpa's, safety issues. I wish I had a grandson to go hunting with.

Now, if you go to the DeLorme website http://www.inreachdelorme.com/produc...tion-plans.php you'll see that they have a seasonal subscription so you won't have to pay when you are not using the service. Also, it works anywhere on earth, whether there is cell service or not, and that is why it can be such an important adjunct to all your other safety preparations.

Folks, I am happy to answer questions regarding my limited experiences with this product but I am just a simple user. I do not wish to be a spokesman for the company or an endorser of the products.

Everyone, stay safe out there and I hope you have a productive remainder of your hunting season.

Best wishes to all,
    Dan

Thank you. I just got back from hunting also. I was with a few of my in-laws from Haines here. I am going to do some more info digging because it is a great product but it is a lot of money for just 4 months. I am going to look into sat phone and how they work.

Any updates from this hunting season? Just saw the inreach. Looks like a great idea but not a fan of the service plans. Better off just renting a sat phone for the days I am in the field?

Steve

I picked up an inReach at the Alaska Sportsman Show this year and took it out bear hunting in May. Paired with my Android, it worked great. I sat in my tent along the coast near Togiak and sent texts/emails to my wife here in Alaska, my son in Colorado and a friend in Colorado. You can send to anyone you have an email address for.

Randy

I used the Delorme inreach explorer last week to send an SOS when my canoe capsized and was swept downriver with all my gear. Search and rescue responded immediately, notified rescue resources, kept continued communications with my wife, and brought the Army helicopter to our location. Works great.

I let a friend use mine for a spring brown bear hunt out of Dillingham. It would not send a message out for 2 days. I'm not impressed at all with the inReach, I sure won't trust it to be there when I need it.

I sure wouldn't take anything that I couldn't trust. The Delorme explorer work for us with no problem, probably because I had my 16 year old son sending and receiving the messages.

AaronP, that is unfortunate but sure seems like an exception and not the norm of how the inReach units have performed. Did the unit work fine before or after the trip?

Here is an image from my inReach map page showing all of the tracking points and the boxes are messages sent or received. This was last September using an SE model. I found the inReach invaluable, especially up on the slope for not only a safety device but also to just check in, get weather updates from friends or even to have someone check the latest Haul Rd reports in the threads on here for the latest intel.

Being 72 years old and not very adept at texting I let my 16 year old son handle the Delorme explorer. He used it a lot on the canoe trip to text his girl friend in Connecticut until our emergency superceded his social requirements. Like any device or piece of equipment, if one does not know how to use it it's best not to even think about including it as part of your emergency equipment. Our emergency extraction was made easier by the use of the device. The Fairbanks Daily News Miner of last Sunday has the account of the rescue. BTW, this is not a testimonial.

Quote Originally Posted by rainydayhunter View Post
    I used the Delorme inreach explorer last week to send an SOS when my canoe capsized and was swept downriver with all my gear. Search and rescue responded immediately, notified rescue resources, kept continued communications with my wife, and brought the Army helicopter to our location. Works great.
    Whew... glad to hear you guys made it out ok. I just read the newsminer writeup. Was that M.A.S.T. (Military Assistance to Safety and Traffic, for those that aren't aware) that came and got you guys? They ended MAST at FWW back in 2008 but I thought I heard they were back and thought I saw a Blackhawk with the white square/red cross on it flying one day here recently.

When they were running the FWW MAST was the last one in the country. They responded to a lot of MVA's out on the Steese over the years as well as other rescues. They used to fly up to Skiland when us Ski Patrollers had some training so we could interface incase we ever needed to call them.

Again, glad to hear you guys made it.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by colonel00 View Post
    AaronP, that is unfortunate but sure seems like an exception and not the norm of how the inReach units have performed. Did the unit work fine before or after the trip?

Here is an image from my inReach map page showing all of the tracking points and the boxes are messages sent or received. This was last September using an SE model. I found the inReach invaluable, especially up on the slope for not only a safety device but also to just check in, get weather updates from friends or even to have someone check the latest Haul Rd reports in the threads on here for the latest intel.

This was actually the second time this happened. The first time I was sent a new unit. The excuse from Delorme this time was that they were experiencing a service outage for a couple of days in that area. It really bums me out because I just can't trust the thing now.

I've only had mine for a month, but so far so good while sending messages in Southcentral. I'll say that I like that it's based on the Iridium network rather than the Globalstar which the Spot units are based on.

Six months so far so good, sorry Aaron P.

Worked great for us during a climb on the west side of the Inlet. Pretty awesome to get WX updates and to communicate with the outside world when/if necessary.

I've also had great success with the Delorme. I also have a sat phone but family and friends like the Delorme better.

It's hard to believe that it has been three years since I started this thread. Since then I have had trouble-free use of the InReach - until I couldn't get it to pair with the gps the last time I tried to use it. I have to assume that the SOS button and stored messages will still work but sending newly composed messages is now a problem. I have not spent much time trying to correct the situation nor have I contacted DeLorme. I have, however, purchased a new Iridium sat phone.

Last time I plugged mine in to the computer, it told me there was an update to install. Maybe that would help. Mine has been working great all over the state.
    Casey
    Yamaha Dealer
    Petersburg, AK

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast