Thread: Seward Harbor

Default Seward Harbor

Is there any fishing to be had in the Seward harbor this time of year? Flounder, etc, etc? The family and I might head down to Seward and the trout rod is a must have on all trips. Just curious what kind of fish inhabit the harbor in April.

Default tonsina creek

Can't tell you if there will be anything in the harbor, but depending on how old the youngsters are it would be worth a walk to tonsina creek. Normally a fairly easy walk a little uphilll but when you cross the creek bridge head towards the mouth & you can fish for dollys in the creek. One problem, the trail goes through the trees & the snow might not be hardpacked anymore. Then the walk may suck & I would reccomend waiting till its melted. However a buddy went a couple weeks ago with his daughter & said there were eagles & sealions swimming around the entire time.
    Have fun & might see you there if the weather is decent.

there's always flounder to be caught in the harbor! and little tom cod and the occasional immature ling.(throw the lings back) go to the end of the dock past the fuel dock. (they moved the fuel dock closer last year) put heriing above a weight and have fun. I have caught 5 pound starry flounders off that dock and I have seen pretty big halibut cruise the top during the middle of the summer.

-Ben

Thanks for the advice guys. I am hoping to introduce my daugther to fishing this weekend and thought the harbor may be a good way to get her started. Fish or no fish. I suppose you can say I am an eager papa. It's amazing how she will not sit still, EVER, unless she is sitting in my lap while I am showing her something new.

Default Millers Landing

WG,
    I called Millers Landing and he said "a bridge" that leads to Tonsilla creek area got washed out, but you could still get by if you hike? He suggested snow shoes for that hike too. The motor home spaces are clear, but no water yet. I may be in Seward as well, as the wife is out of town and I've got the four boys myself, I'll probably take the motorhome down and stay Sat and maybe Sun night. I asked him about fishing, dollies, whatever and he said it's a little early, but I'm going to bring a rod or two anyway.
    Have fun.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Try Preachers pond. You can find some dollies there.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I NEED to get out so I am heading down to Seward tomorrow with the kids and grand kids. We are going to "rough" it at the Edgewater hotel across the street from the Sea Life Center but plan on bringing a couple surf casting rods to fish acorss the street there near the Sea Life Center if the weather permits. The kids are way excited. Our primary objective is the Sea Life Center for the kids though.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Fly Guy View Post
    I NEED to get out so I am heading down to Seward tomorrow with the kids and grand kids. We are going to "rough" it at the Edgewater hotel across the street from the Sea Life Center but plan on bringing a couple surf casting rods to fish acorss the street there near the Sea Life Center if the weather permits. The kids are way excited. Our primary objective is the Sea Life Center for the kids though.
    good luck with the fishing. I love the sealife center. I make a point to go there once a summer to watch peaceful fish. though, I have always wondered what would happen if I threw a white scampi in the tank

-Ben

The scampi thing reminds me of my visit to a zoo in Arizona last November. They had a small pond with a handful of monsterous fish, I don't recall the species but they were atleast 20lbs each. Anyways the pond was shallow and a pain in the rear was following me every where spouting off as usual, AKA the father in law. I told him, "watch this." And I pulled the nastiest of cookies from the inner depths of my lungs and then laid it right on top of the untouched mirror like surface of the water. One fish took interest and circled the ewwy gooey goodness that lay on the surface for a minute or so. Finaly, with intent, he went to surface, opened his mouth like large mouth bass and literally inhaled the loogie. The father in law turned green in the face and dry heaved for a couple of minutes. I almost kealed over from laugther.

The weather in Seward was miserable this weekend. A combination of rain and snow kept my wife in the camper. My daugther didn't want to do anything else but sleep. If I left the camper my daugther would immediately wake up and scream non stop, so that kept me in the camper. We bagged it early and went home.

on the AOJ private angler reports, someone reported the herring were in close. thats used to be fun w/ a herring setup from bjs and catch them in the harbor.

I spotted dark clouds in the water outside the harbor being swarmed by sea gulls and sea lions. I could only imagine it was herring.

the spawn is on!

Mussles make a great dock bait they you use what you catch for bait for bigger fish
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

On those herring rigs with all the hooks, how do you fish them?

Default Jig

We usually just jig them over the side of the boat. Helps to locate the depth. When they used to come into the fish processing plant here you could fill a five gallon pail in an hour.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012