Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oar saddles on SOAR

Default Oar saddles on SOAR

So I picked up a used Pro Pioneer 16' inflatable canoe this week. I have not got it wet yet, but I'm already looking at the oar saddle rowing setup. Anyone used this and does it justify the $600 price tag they are asking for the complete setup?
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

I use an Aire frame on mine..rowing is certainly the way to use it..there are some pics in my profile albums

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

At $600 They must include the the oars , blades. and locks. I have the same oar saddles from the same Or. company that builds them for $250 less??
    Maybe you should check around with other dealers in ALASKA!!

That is for the complete package with top quality oars.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

yep, we're in ALASKA...if you consider fairbanks as part of your state, goo :-) But since we're the manufacturer of the Oar Saddles, i don't think you have them for sale. You might be thinking of the knock off "row saddles" that SOAR sells and has made by a guy who works for Sawyer in OR. They are less expensive for a reason, IMO. SOAR also sell the Sawyer oars with this kit, which are NOT suitable for Alaska rivers because the blades are too weak. The Oar Saddles can be adjusted to fit 12" to 23" tube diameters, but the row saddles only fit 14" tubes.

the $600 cost includes the Oar Saddles, mini cobra oar locks, 8 straps, and two Cataract oars (mini magnums) breakdown 7.5' with Oar Rights.

Grayling, your Pro Pioneer has d-rings on it that were put there to support the Oar Saddles. Here's a picture of what they look like, and they weigh 6.5 lbs with oar locks. It's the lightest weight system you can buy.

cheers,

larryOar_Saddle_new_design_profiles.jpg

If you're going to do a lot of rowing, put something between the saddle and your raft to prevent chafing on the raft. A little something between the saddle and the strap or some spare straps is a good idea as well. Other than a few wear points they work pretty well.

Default Oar Saddles

After several years of paddling my raft I finally broke down and purchased the oar saddles. I am now wondering why I waited so long. It was a great investment.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Rbuck, one way to prevent chaffing is by ensuring your oar saddles are tightly secured. If done properly there shouldn't be any rubbing or strap wear. Here's how we do it:

1. inflate your tubes to formed but not firm. They should be loosely formed.

2. Put your oar saddles in place and secure the straps tightly, and you will noticed the tubes slightly pucker around the ended of the saddles.

3. Top off your tubes to at least 3.25 psi (firm, with thumb press less than 1/4" when pressure is applied).

When you're rowing, the Oar Saddles shouldn't move at all. If they slip around or waffle back and forth under oar commands, your saddles aren't properly secured...straps wear or abrasions might be noticed.

Good luck, hope this helps.

Larry

Cusack...WOW! you da man. I bet your lady loved that trip!

larry

Wow, that is a loaded raft. Mind telling where that was at?
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

chena river

Although tight to begin with, several hours and about 5 miles into the wind on Tazlina the straps refused to stay tight and had to be retightened several times. One of the straps started to wear through and had to reposition it away from the saddle. Once on the lake we weren't about to drop pressure and start over. I can't imagine them being a problem floating a river but on a long hard pull across a lake, a bit of old inner tube or some such would be cheap insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bartlett View Post
    Cusack...WOW! you da man. I bet your lady loved that trip!

larry
    Hey Larry Thanks!
    She did. This trip actually won us a trip to New Zealand. That really got me some brownie points! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Grayling Slayer View Post
    Wow, that is a loaded raft. Mind telling where that was at?
    Hey Grayling! It was on the river.

Raft2.jpg

I have an early Soar S-16. I decided to go with the Aire rowing frame instead of the Oar Saddles for several reasons. One, I got the rowing frame, Oars, and straps for allot cheaper than the Oar Saddles would have cost just for the saddles. Two, I don't have D-rings on my boat and the cost would have been more than I wanted to spend to install them. So far, I really like the set up. Yes it weighs more but I like the stability of a frame and a solid seat. Heres what it looks like.

Attachment 60983
    Last edited by Adison; 06-25-2012 at 00:10.
    I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice, remember life is expensive and ammo is cheep!

Rbuck, copy that. good luck with the next trip. try the way i described and see if it helps.

Adison, sweet, glad you got that S16 rigged out. Couldn't open your file, says "invalid."

Cusack, man, you gotta try the Peloris and the Karamea rivers on the south island. Browns everywhere.

good luck, all.

lb, out

Quote Originally Posted by Adison View Post
    Raft2.jpg

I have an early Soar S-16. I decided to go with the Aire rowing frame instead of the Oar Saddles for several reasons. One, I got the rowing frame, Oars, and straps for allot cheaper than the Oar Saddles would have cost just for the saddles. Two, I don't have D-rings on my boat and the cost would have been more than I wanted to spend to install them. So far, I really like the set up. Yes it weighs more but I like the stability of a frame and a solid seat. Heres what it looks like.

Attachment 60983

Hi Adison,

Thank you for posting. I have the same Soar. How do you strap on the frame? Do you still sit on the Soar wood seat? I appreciate the picture. What was the cost for the Aire rowing frame? Thanks!

I cant find the Aire rowing frame you have on line can you provide a link looks like it would be great in my Saturn Kaboat.

I'm going to go ahead with the oar saddles when I get a chance to go see Larry. I'm also going to look around for an old raft frame for more options when weight is not an issue.

AW - Sorry for the delay, I have been relocating and no internet until now. I run the straps thru the grommets and then up around the seat frame, one from each side. The frame has a plastic boat seat mounted to it already so no need for the wooden seat. I put it up front for the passenger to use. ;-) I believe I paid around $450.00 for the frame, seat, oars, and a few straps. They didn't have another one in stock so they sold me the one off the floor.

KK - I bought the frame from Alaska Raft and Kayak on Tudor road.
    I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice, remember life is expensive and ammo is cheep!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast