Thread: Glenallen area

Default Glenallen area

My dad's is coming up from Pearisburg VA with a volunteer group from his church to do some work on a medical facility in Glenallen the last two weeks of June. I'm letting my dad borrow my truck and fishing gear and I was hoping I could get some help pointing him towards some fishing close by if he has extra time. I've fished the Gulkana and drove through Glenallen a lot but I've never spent much time getting to know that area. I think they have a charter in Valdez planned one day so I'm mainly looking for local spots in Glenallen. My dad is like a kid when it comes to fishing so a few grayling spots would be perfect.

Thanks,
    I'm still stuck in the ghan so I can't go with him.

The Gulkana, Klutina both will be good for salmon, trout and other resident species. Grayling can be found there too but also all the creeks, ponds, and small lakes around Lake Louise area. Paxson and the Denali Hwy is another spot worth mentioning. I would have him try all the spots he finds in the area you never know what you'll find. Grayling will bite evrythinh you throw at them and then all of sudden stop; so tell him not to be discouraged.

Take Care Over There.

I'd say klutina for reds, especially for groups it's a good time fishing without having the need to venture off looking for the fish.

Is he willing to drive out of the area a little or wants something real close by? Is he working on the new native hospital or our existing clinic?

Thanks for the help so far. My wife is going to drive up one day and take a few them for a float in my raft on the Gulkana. I'm not sure how much free time they will have so I was hoping there was a few close spots he could try if he only had a couple hours after working.

I hate not being there to show dad the legal ways and the techinues to fish for reds. It's a lot different than using bait for smallmouth bass and redeyes. He has fished for grayling before so I'm sure he will be good for them.

Elan, I'm not sure but I think it's the existing clinic.

Thanks again,

Tell him to reschedule his return flight (for a few days) and hit the Denali Highway. Scenery & grayling would be outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Tell him to reschedule his return flight (for a few days) and hit the Denali Highway. Scenery & grayling would be outstanding.
    I agree X2!

Contact the Glennallen F&G office. The fish bio should be able to help out with what fish are biting during that time and where.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    The church group bought all of the plane tickets at once so he didn't get the option to extend a few days. If at all possible he will be coming back up when I get home to do a little hunting. It's just hard to plan in advance based on military dates/plans. He needs to help me shoot a caribou and spent some time following my bird dog around.

Quote Originally Posted by bnkwnto View Post
    The church group bought all of the plane tickets at once so he didn't get the option to extend a few days. If at all possible he will be coming back up when I get home to do a little hunting. It's just hard to plan in advance based on military dates/plans. He needs to help me shoot a caribou and spent some time following my bird dog around.
    I'd check with the airline - if his name is on the ticket, he can probably do whatever he wants. Doesn't matter who paid for it, its his, now.

Have your dad give me a call when he gets in to Glennallen. I live at mile 127.5 of the Richardson and we do group rentals to church groups all the time.

Walt

Gulkana Raft Rentals
    907-259-4290