Thread: 44 v 45colt (guide)

Default 44 v 45colt (guide)

Ok Alaskans, I'm coming in 5 days. I still don't have a guide for a black or brown bear hunt, that being said, what sidearm do I bring as a "back up" a Night Guard .44 mag or the Judge in .45 long Colt? And if any of you have a day or two open June 6-11 I would love to hire you.

Lance

Take whichever one you have the best ammo for or whichever one you shoot best. Either will work fine. I would prefer the .452 bullet to the .429 bullet, but meplat probably matters more. Just so it's not this lovely example of fine S&W craftsmanship our resident Ruger haters will love to see:
    http://armedandamphibious.wordpress....-guard-kaboom/
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

Just a day or two for a bear hunt. Sounds like the easiest $10,000 a guide could make. You'll spend the first day not doing anything due to the no shooting on fly in day, and then the next day will be flying you back out. $10,000 for a $1,000 super cub ride. You should have guides falling all over themselves to take your money.

You are planning on using a guide so why even think about a back up handgun. Waste of time/money/weight.

No snakes here so leave the judge at home.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

and if we did have snakes, the judge wouldn't be big enough!!
    you might be able to find someone with a boat and bait stations out for black bear somewhere that'll take you on a couple day bear hunt. shooting one over bait would be your best option given your time frame. some guys go on a 10 day hunt and never see a bear, other see 20 in a day, it can go either way. figure you'll drop at least a couple grand to pull off what you want, save your coin and don't buy the handgun.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Bear gun thread # 17 since May 1.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I traded a couple of my guns for a S&W Alaskan in .44 mag. I pray I don't have to pull it but after being in Montana and hearing so many stories... Now about a guide. Anyone, anyone, anyone, Bueller, Bueller, Bueller.

i'm headed out the 5th and won't be back till the 15th...otherwise i'd be tempted to cash your check....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

As many others have posted..dont even bother with a pistol....your guide will have your back..lol

Quote Originally Posted by uteppunter View Post
    Ok Alaskans, I'm coming in 5 days. I still don't have a guide for a black or brown bear hunt, that being said, what sidearm do I bring as a "back up" a Night Guard .44 mag or the Judge in .45 long Colt? And if any of you have a day or two open June 6-11 I would love to hire you.

Lance
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post
    As many others have posted..dont even bother with a pistol....your guide will have your back..lol
    I was a guide and I "backed up" plenty. But I still wouldn't totally trust anybody to back me up but myself......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Forget the handgun....pretty well useless if you're hunting with a rifle AND a guide.

FYI- I know a couple of guides who won't allow client handguns in camp....don't believe you're in a position to be picky on that point at this late stage in the game.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit