Thread: From Scotland

Default From Scotland

been over a couple of times fishing and still use this forum for keeping up to date with things ....coming back in 2008 for a 3 week trip ...anyway a couple of shots from my first fishing trip this side..Yi can let me know what you all think along with the story of what happened that day.

Decided to have a small run up to a highland loch called Loch Ba fishing for small brown trout on the fly rod, also first outing of the season this side of the pond for me
    Plenty of wee trout happily taking flies on the floating line …Sat down for lunch beside a huge peat hag pondering life as you do at the fishing.
    This auld beast came wandering down beside me! Tamest stag that I have came across …fair broke up the solitude for a while …managed to capture a few shots before he wandered off ….all shot using a Canon 350D and 70-200mmIS L lens

cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images

and a couple more since it only lets you up 2 at a time

Default Really nice pictures

Those are great shots, What time of year did you take these shots?
    When do they lose the antlers?
    Are these animals often found alone? or in Groups?
    Sorry for all the questions, but This is an animal I have never seen in person. I have seen them on TV they seem quite vocal.
    Scotand is such a wonderful place, Glad that you found a place to be away from it all so you could reflect and enjoy the nature.
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Very nice and sharp photos.

Alaskacanoe the shots taken on the 28th march this year ….our brown troot season starts 15th march as for the loss of the antlers this normally happens around mid march to the end of April with the older stags casting first
    Have found a link on the web that will give you all the details on red deer in Scotland
    http://www.deer-uk.com/red_deer.htm
    Have to say wonderful creatures to watch and view in the wild …Im afraid to say our hunting laws are drastically different to your part of the world …Even now to have any sort of firearm is frowned upon due to shall we say incidents over the past 10 years in our part of the world ….anyone now applying for a firearms certificate is very highly unlikely to be granted one, Most of the red deer are now culled each year by most of the highland estates “ranches” and for big $$ they will allow you to go as we call it stalking ….cost around $200 per beast and you don’t get the meat or the head included in the price that’s an extra.
    The problem we have is very simple too bloody many of them …menace on the roads at night and the number of road fatalities normally increase at this time of the year ….one of those coming through your windscreen…….not to be recommended !

a couple more of our landscape

Wow, nice work for the 70-200! And the landscapes are pretty sweet as well! Looks pretty similar to some places here in Alaska.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Great Shots!

big thanks for the comments

cheers

The Highlands is one of the areas I definitely want to visit in Europe. It probably ranks second, next to Greece. But of course, if I were going to Europe just for outdoor beauty, the Highlands would be my first priority. I'd like to see Ireland too, but with a last name of Orange, I'd be a bit nervous over there. Do you guys have big northern pike in Scotland?
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey