Thread: Any one firelapped a gun before?

Default Any one firelapped a gun before?

It looks like I am about to give it a whirl. I have read enough about it on the internet to ask if anyone has actually done it.

Thanks in advance.

I have 4 times and it seemed to make from a moderate to distinct difference, well worth the effort - A note; hammer forged Sako or Tikka barrels don't seem to "need" it done but my Kimber Montana sure got easier to clean !

I "fire lapped" a 22cal air rifle recently and it made a noticable difference in accuracy. The barrel had a couple of tight spots when running a tight patch through it so I smeared some pellets with Flitz and shot it until a tight patch went through smooth and even. It took about 40/50 shots. It's got me thinking about fire lapping a couple of my hunting rifles.

I have done 3 barrels if my old memory is correct. Rifles seemed to shoot better and were easier to clean. None were custom barrels. I think if a hundred shooters did it we would end up with mixed results. That awesome shooter David Tubb has some interesting information on it if you search the web you find it. He understands shooting rifles and I trust his info. Would it make or break a shot at a big game animal, probably not. It is some thing I would go slow with.

I used the tubs impregnated grit bullet kit on my 300 RUM. Shooting 50 of those at a sitting from the bench wasn't much fun

As far as accuracy went I don't know if it really improved that much, it shot great before and is still shooting great, maybe slightly better but not enough to really tell.

It now cleans about a thousand times easier though, couple of patches and its clean as a whistle.

I'm going to try it again with my 375 RUM, and 280 and will see if it makes a difference with them. Not looking forward to the 375. 50 rounds out of my 7 1/2 pound rifle will leave me battered and bruised I'm afraid.

I had a new Rem 700 PSS in 300WM that I did it with,rifle was always accurate but really tough to clean,I used to shoot this rifle a lot.After Tubbs system,much easier to clean.That alone was worth it.