Thread: Tent for Alpine Sitka hunt on Kodiak

Default Tent for Alpine Sitka hunt on Kodiak

I've been doing a lot of research over the past few months, including reading many older threads on this site and still can't decide on a tent. Like many others I've decided to purchase a Hilleberg tent and can't decide which one to buy.

I already own a solid base camp tent and will be using my Hilleberg for Spike camp hunts. I haven't completely ruled out the possibility of a one-man tent but would prefer a two person design for the added space in bad weather and flexibility on future hunts with friends. I'll be spending 7-10 days on the hunt this year and need a tent that I can leave unattended for long periods of time.

The tents I'm seriously considering are:

1)Nallo 2GT for space and weight
    2)Kaitum 2 or 2GT for space
    3)Nammatj 2GT for durability
    4)Staika for absolute strength in the absolutely worst conditions

I don't want to base my decision solely on this hunt but for added information I will be hunting the last week in August and the first week in September.

Thanks for the help!

Andy

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

Andy,
    the difference in the Hillberg 2 man and 3 man is just ounces...and a lot more room...don't rule them out...they are the bomb for spike camps and work well in the back of a plane...good luck...

Indiana, only because that's where the check came from...

I have a Nammatj 2GT that I use during my float fishing trips each summer in AK. I like the roominess of a two man tent for single person use if weight is not a consideration. Since you've done the research you know what this tent weights. I absolutely love the extended vestibule that's designed into this tent because all my gear can be safely stored out of the weather; I also have the foot print which also adds a little weight but for the extra protection it gives to the floor it's perfect. Set up and take down is very fast, I always do it alone. I because the outer tent is attached to the inner tent it all sets up as one. If it's raining when I collapse some water gets into the inner tent, usually on the floor, but I carry one of those small towels that swimmers use and wipe it out. I simply wring out the towel as often as necessary to dry out the inside of the tent. Once up, it takes only few minutes for it to completely dry out inside. It's a great tent and very durable.

IndyCzar, I've considered the Nallo 3GT also, seems overkill for a solo hunt but would be really nice for 2 on future hunts. The difference between the 2GT and 3GT is only 7 ounces.

Do you guys recommend the footprint for hunts when heavy rain is almost certain?

I have the nallo 2GT and love it. I looked at hillebergs for several years and didn't want to spend the money. But now that I have one I wish I would have bought one sooner! Like stated before the nallo 3GT doesn't weigh that much more. I almost went with the 3 but didn't. That's the only thing I regret.

I'm still on the fence between the 2GT or 3GT. The 2 looks like a perfect solo tent for extended hunts and would also work for father/daughter or father/wife trips. Is it extremely tight for 2 guys and hunting gear?

I REALLY like the Kaitum 2GT because of the extra ventilation but at 17' I'm thinking it could be hard to find a place to set that thing up at times. Have any of you run into a problem like that? By comparison the Nallo 2GT is just over 13' long.

There's plenty of room for two people in the nallo 2GT. The 3 would just make it extra comfy. I use mine for sheep hunting and can get all gear for two people, rifles, and still have room to cook inside. That makes it a bit tight but works. If I had the money I'd buy both!

Interesting, I never thought about spiking out for kodiak blacktails. Everyone I know flies into an alpine lake, sets up a big base camp tent with some nice cots (preferably a stove too) and just hunts from it. My FIL does it every year and comes back with a pile of meat and as long as weather cooperates stories of dozens of dear seen every day.

Thanks for the advice and keep it coming! Any advice on using a footprint or not with a Hilleberg? I usually cook in the vestibule in bad weather (I know it's not recommended) and from what I understand the footprint on the Hillebergs covers the vestibule area too. That might make using a stove tough. Can the footprint under the vestibule be folded back while the rest remains attached?

I don't use a footprint when camping light and a few other situations as well and never regretted it. When I have the family the footprint is a given since that sees lots of traffic. Then again I am guilty of cooking in the same tent that I sleep in.

With much deliberation I ordered a Nallo 2GT this week, thanks for all the help and insight!

Don't count out the Hilleverg 3 man. Awesome bomb proof freestanding tent with ample storage on both ends.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

i just purchased an EASTON HAT TRICK 3P tent. It is well made, super easy to set up and can fit 3 people.