Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: got a call this afternoon

Talking got a call this afternoon

From a friend of mine, asking if I was feeling any better (I was incredible sick last night at work, couldn't even walk a straight line) I told him I was just a tad better, but I took today off work. and then he asked if I wanted to go halibut fishing tomorrow. and I told him that i didn't really have enough money for that, cause the charters are usually like 250 bucks.

Then he told me it was free...

and we wound be running shrimp pots....

and rock fishing..

and possibly trolling....

in whittier...
    all day saturday and through till sunday.
    So I called my boss and told him I am gonna be sick till monday afternoon. Cause I just can't turn down an all expense payed trip to whittier, although we are sorta working it off by fixing some stuff on the boat and running pots. The lady who owns the boat is my buddys piano teacher (an elderly lady) and she takes her students out a couple times a year to do all the hard "work" of catching her fish and shrimp to fill her freezer. And I'm always up for helping out the elderly!

Any tips on halibut fishing would be fantastic, I have only ever been once, and that was 3 or 4 years ago with a friend of my parents so I don't really remember much about the actual techniques.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Can't help much on the tips for PWS, but I sure hope your boss isn't a forum member! Good luck out there.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

HaHa no kidding, course, even if I am as sick tomorrow as I am today, (and I am very sick still today) I would be useless at work, but I could at least sit on a chair and hold a pole till and reel the fish part way up and till I was to tired, then hand the pole to somebody else.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    HaHa no kidding, course, even if I am as sick tomorrow as I am today, (and I am very sick still today) I would be useless at work, but I could at least sit on a chair and hold a pole till and reel the fish part way up and till I was to tired, then hand the pole to somebody else.
    LOL! If I'm not holding a fishing rod in my hands the moment before I die, my life will be a total failure!

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    LOL! If I'm not holding a fishing rod in my hands the moment before I die, my life will be a total failure!
    I feel your pain. Hey, I read in a different thread that most ocean sickness medicines don't kick in for 24 hours or more, does candied ginger take that long also? I Didn't have a problem with sea sickness last time we went out, but this being my first time spending a night on a boat, I am gonna take some stuff for just in case.

Any tips on halibut fishing would be fantastic, I have only ever been once, and that was 3 or 4 years ago with a friend of my parents so I don't really remember much about the actual techniques.
    If you have a depth finder look for drop offs or holes to fish.

Hopefully you will be using circle hooks. If so don't be quick to set the hook like you would with "J" hooks. Let the fish take the bait and they will usually set the hook themselves.

If you get into a lot of halibut try throwing on a big jig. If you get a feeding frenzy going, sometimes a big jig will catch bigger fish.

If you are using herring, also try some squid or clams above the hook. A halibut will sometimes steal the herring but if the clam or squid is still on, they will come back after it.

Good Luck...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I feel your pain. Hey, I read in a different thread that most ocean sickness medicines don't kick in for 24 hours or more, does candied ginger take that long also? I Didn't have a problem with sea sickness last time we went out, but this being my first time spending a night on a boat, I am gonna take some stuff for just in case.
    I'm not sure about the ginger. People that I know that have used it have eaten some in the morning before we headed out and then they keep munching on it all day long. Personally I think I'd get pretty tired of tasting ginger all day. I suppose it couldn't hurt to start it the day before.

But I have heard the "24 hour before" rule for many years and it seems to work for people that I tell to try it. Of course that could be a little bit of suggestive behavioral therapy going on.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    If you are using herring, also try some squid or clams above the hook. A halibut will sometimes steal the herring but if the clam or squid is still on, they will come back after it.
    Yeah, excellent advice. Though I love octopus too and often use both octo and squid just by themselves. It never hurts to have more than one bait on your hook, but squid will often stay on your hook for multiple fish, and octo even longer. Well worth bringing some along.

Cheese Popcorn !!!

Go to Wally World and buy the Spring Hill brand ginger root capsules, 550 mg....way more ginger that you will ever get eating the candied stuff. Only a few bucks for a bottle of 100, Swallow the caps with water, take two the night before, two in the morning you go, two more the night you stay out, etc. If ginger works for you (does for some, not for others...) this is the way to get it into you! If it doesn't work, at least your barf will smell better

Second the ginger capsules. The candied version didn't do squat for my father-in-law...on a calm day! But, ginger pills (Hawaiian ginger since we were in Hawaii) worked wonders for my wife during our drive along the road to Hanna. Definitely start early and often. I think she was eating a couple pills every couple hours and made it through with flying colors!

Milk Duds, and Beer! It works for me

Beer for sure and saltine crackers. Plus once you hit the water it wont matter anymore..Cuz your on the water
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Dont know about the duds or crackers..but can certainly say BEER works

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I don't have any tips for you regarding halibut fishing, or dealing with sea sickness. But, I do have a comment. I know I'll probably get flamed for coming off as "holier-than-thou", but I still think it's worth saying.

Although I'm not surprised, I do find it disappointing that people (especially people posting Bible verses in their signature) can so easily shirk their responsibilities and lie to their bosses about why they "have to" miss work. And, although you tried to justify it by saying you're doing a good deed, I wonder if the fish and shrimp you catch for your buddies piano teacher will in any way offset the inconvenience your boss is going to have to deal with because you're not at work. As a business owner, I'd likely fire you on the spot when (not if) I found out you lied about why you weren't there. There are just too many people standing in the unemployment line for me to continue to employ people that find it all too easy to pick up the phone and lie to me.

Just something to think about.

Have fun fishing.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

I almost never miss work when I am sick. I do miss work on occasion because I am Sick of Work and have to go fishin! I call it a mental wellness day.

My boss is a Jerk anyway......

(I am self employed)

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    My boss is a Jerk anyway......

(I am self employed)
    That's pretty funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod in Wasilla View Post
    I don't have any tips for you regarding halibut fishing, or dealing with sea sickness. But, I do have a comment. I know I'll probably get flamed for coming off as "holier-than-thou", but I still think it's worth saying.

Although I'm not surprised, I do find it disappointing that people (especially people posting Bible verses in their signature) can so easily shirk their responsibilities and lie to their bosses about why they "have to" miss work. And, although you tried to justify it by saying you're doing a good deed, I wonder if the fish and shrimp you catch for your buddies piano teacher will in any way offset the inconvenience your boss is going to have to deal with because you're not at work. As a business owner, I'd likely fire you on the spot when (not if) I found out you lied about why you weren't there. There are just too many people standing in the unemployment line for me to continue to employ people that find it all too easy to pick up the phone and lie to me.

Just something to think about.

Have fun fishing.
    Why should you get flamed? You're a boss and telling it like you see it. I don't like being lied to weather the boss or not. But I have to ask, would you not mind if a person called and asked you if he could take the day off to go fishing? If you don't mind then you may want to get your group together and let them know that. I would think it a much better way than getting lied to.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Covering for a missing employee on short notice is always harder to deal with than dealing with planned absences scheduled well in advance. Of course, emergency situations and legitimate sickness don't often provide much notice. So, those have to be dealt with however they can.

Regarding staff and scheduling, every business is different. In my case, I think that if somebody called me on Friday to ask to take a personal day on Monday, I would tell them that as long as they got someone to cover their shift without having to work overtime (trade a day), I wouldn't have a problem with it. But it's their shift, and it's their responsibility to make sure it's covered. The fact that he chose to lie to his boss tells me that he knew he probably wouldn't get the day off if he did actually ask for it. So, he decided that his fishing trip was more important than whatever the person covering his shift had scheduled.

And, it may seem petty, but if he'll lie about being sick, what else will he lie about? And, do I want that kind of employee working for me? In my book, there's not much in this life worth more than integrity and personal responsibility.

Well said.I too own a business and I feel the same way.I would much rather hear the truth than being lied to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast