Thread: new to flyfishing

Default new to flyfishing

Went out with a buddy and caught some graying with a fly rod for the first time and I think I'm hooked. Just have a few questions before i get a rod setup, im mainly looking to catch trout and grayling maybe some pike. what weight and size rods are best for that? I also get a smoking deal through Ross, scientific angler and march brown rods, if anyone knows anything about what these companies have to offer and can make some suggestions that would be great

Thanks

A 5 weight rod/reel would be great for both trout and grayling - although you could just use a 3 if you wanted to fish grayling exclusively. Pike on the other hand would need a 7-9 weight to be safe.

What he said ^^^^^^^^^
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Good advice. The 7-9 wt range will also work on reds, silvers, chums. For kings you might get by with the 9, until you hook into a bigun. .

OK I think I'm going to go with the Ross rx 9' 5wt. Does the reel size also have to be a 5 to mat h the weight?

Sort of.

Depends, most reels are made in size range. For example, a reel may be a 4-6, suggesting it would hold an adequate amount of backing and line for a 4,5, or 6 wt rod. There is also the issue of how a reel balances on a rod, personal preference, etc...

To answer you main question, I think there is great utility in a 5 wt and 8 wt set up. Those two would cover many situations. Perhaps get the 5 wt first for trout and grayling, then an 8 wt for pike and salmon.

-Dan

No doubt the 5wt will be great for trout. Never heard of March Brown rods before so couldn't help there but the key will be how it feels to you. When I started fly fishing I had a crappy Shakespeare fiberglass setup and that did me just fine for years. Several years later I was able to afford a better setup and I can notice the difference but I wouldn't worry about top of the line gear right now. Focus on a large arbor reel if you can get one. They hold the line nicer and you can pick up line faster when you are reeling. As far as line goes, I would suggest a floating line that is one number greater than the rod. So in your case look for a 6wt line approx. I like scientific anglers XLD (xtreme long distance) line. It casts smoothly and shoots out well.

Good advice. I might 'overline' a high modulus fast action rod. I wouldn't recommend that to a 'lower end' or 'slow' or classic action rod. Even different brands of "5 weight" line have different characteristics and weights. Find someone knowledgeable at a quality shop to properly match a line to your rod.

Good point on over lining certain rods and not others. I personally don't over line, even though I mostly use faster action rods. Part of the reason, some lines (the SA gpx for example) is already 1/2 a line weight over it's stated rating. This is done to accommodate the now standard growing trend of stiffer and faster rods. From what I read, in years past, rods were closer to their true rating. So using a line weight above the rod rating is based on the action of the rod. And of course the preference of the fisherman.

I have heard it can be easier for a new fly fisherman to load the rod with one line wt higher than rod, that is obvious. Faster loading, get some line out easier, but it could limit the amount of line one can effectively cast as well. My personal opinion, use the line wt rated or the rod. With that said, over lining (and under lining) is one of the many personal choices one encounters when setting up their fly rod set up.

-Dan

Over lining is definitely more of a preference than anything else. The key is to find a setup you feel super comfortable with. I have a fishing buddy who has a very expensive 3wt he hates to cast because it does not feel right to him and he cant cast it well even though all the expensive parts are there (Scott rod, Ross reel and Sci-Angler line). I cast it and it feels great, but for him, he never uses it. Try it out before you buy and look for a setup YOU like.

I like 5,7,9,12 wt rods to fit in my kind's of fishing. The others have mentioned all good advice and a 5 wt is a great size (as is a 7). If you get good deals on Ross- get a CLA3 reel so you can just get spools with 5 wt and 7wt line and interchange them when you change rods. Great reel at a good price.

I agree with Dan, you can't go wrong with a 5wt rod for most trout and grayling, and at least an 8wt is needed for salmon and most pike. Also to answer your question about the reel, it is personal preference. I usually go one up (reel wt) on whatever rod I am using for 4-6 wt rods. I like having a little extra line (same wt as the rod) you never know when your gonna get spooled. But with these 2 rods you can cover every fish in the state, one last thing pay attention to your warrenties. You don't want to spend a lot of money on a rod if they are stingy about replacing it.

okay thanks for the help, i went into sportsmans last night just to get some info and feels a few of them before i make my decision and the guy told me the reels were more personal prefference than anything because the rods makes all the difference. whats your take on that?

It all depends on what you're going to catch. For small trout (up to about 14-15") and grayling, you can hand strip the line - to play the fish - and just use the reel for line storage. BUT if you're into larger fish (bigger trout & salmon) then you gennerally need to play the fish from the reel. You either need a GOOD drag or a leather glove on your reel hand (to act as the drag against the outer edge of the spool). You'll only use your bare hand against the spool on a big fish running downstream one time - trust me.
    Just because a guy works at a sporting goods store in any given department doesn't mean he's knowlegable about the items he's selling. It means he impressed the job interviewer with his sales ability.

Do yourself a favor and go chat up the guys at a quality fly shop.......

I've seen some scary stuff happen at SW.

I once gotten my reel spooled at SW and the guy took so long that I asked what was the matter.... Couldn't figure out how to switch my reel to the hand I reel with. No biggie, but why not just ask me how instead of dinking around for so long?... All it took was a two second reel adjustment to get it to where he could spool it (remove the spool and turn a disc). He literally took almost an hour to spool it. If you are new to fly fishing go to a fly shop. Once you are acustomed more to fly fishing then you know what to look for and what to get and can go anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by FF18 View Post
    okay thanks for the help, i went into sportsmans last night just to get some info and feels a few of them before i make my decision and the guy told me the reels were more personal prefference than anything because the rods makes all the difference. whats your take on that?

Not true…..personal prefference goes both ways, not just reels. What ever you spend your money on you better like it, the stuff isn't always cheap and if some thing doesn't feel right you wont use it and then it becomes an expensive dust collector! The best thing I can say is go with what feels right, make sure it has a good warrenty and don't look at price tags, it is going to hurt. But if you follow that route you will be happy with what you end up with and you will produce.

I have a variety of reels, Tibors, Orvis, Lamson and a couple I can't even remember, and I can say for sure--quality is nice if you can afford it, but I got started with a cheap old Pflueger with a click drag and a rim that I could palm for additional drag--I would still use it if I needed to use the fast sinking line that is on it. It is a good basic reel and I like being able to palm the drag on big fish--I think I paid $15 new when I started fly fishing.

Thanks for all the help guys I ended up going with the Ross rx 9' 5wt with a Ross cla reel and scientific gpx line all together ran me 300 shipped. Now just waiting for it to come in so I can do some backyard practice and find some nice spots to use it