Thread: Which HP Copperhead for Grumman Sport boat?

Default Which HP Copperhead for Grumman Sport boat?

Been debating which Copperhead to get. I suspect the 6.5 would be more than adequate. Just curious if anyone has experience with a Copperhead on the Sport Boat? If so what size? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by collier View Post
    Been debating which Copperhead to get. I suspect the 6.5 would be more than adequate. Just curious if anyone has experience with a Copperhead on the Sport Boat? If so what size? Thanks
    A 6.5 horse copperhead is currently being used on the Yukon and Charley Rivers on a Grumman Freighter. I've plugged my 12 horse on my 17 ft. Esquif, but it's way too much motor. Don't let the horsepower rating fool you, they deliver torque all out of proportion to everything else. The 6.5 will behave more like a 9.9 horse or more. At canoe speeds it'll be your best bet.

Just the info i was looking for. Thanks

Did you ever end getting a Copperhead for your sport boat? I've got a Sport Boat also and am curious about the performance? Thanks

I'm going to keep a demo 6.5 at the shop here in the near future. It's sole purpose will be for test runs for those interested. Like wise, I'd like to have a 10 horse demo for guys that feel the 6.5 won't suffice.

The sport boat is a fast hull, a 6.5 will be more than enough.

I perhaps shall simply keep silent

Just remenber that canoes / sport boats are not a speed boats [wrong designe ] it is just a cheep way to get into the back woods at the cheepest way
    if the cost was not a factor we would all have AIR BOATS an PLANES as a start,

we but fair size eng.s on the back not somuch as for speed as it is to push a large load at the smallest cost to us , my 2 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by tronna View Post
    I perhaps shall simply keep silent

how can we have a reasonable debate if there is no debate?

Let er rip.