Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seward Halibut Report????

Default Seward Halibut Report????

Headed downtonight after work. Just wondering if anyone has met success out of Seward?

Thanks ahead for any information.

I found one at the entrance to Day Harbor, just foolin' around. I saw a couple at the fish cleaning tables over at the new M-P docks.

Good Luck!

There were quite a few fish being filleted last saturday evening (charter fish).

We are heading out BFE tomorrow morning to try out a used boat I bought......hoping to get some surf and turf and get familiar with the boat.

Weather looks pretty good.

Good Luck.

Sounds like there are some fish there, just finding them will be the trick. I'll try to post an update when i get back. Hopefully a picture!!

Hope this helps a little, but here's the ADF&G report for Res. Bay: "Halibut fishing is starting to improve. Try fishing as close to the gulf as you can. Boats heading east out of Resurrection Bay have been catching some nice halibut." Good luck out there!
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

We went out on Saturday for a full day charter with about 15 people on the boat plus 3 crew. the captain took us out roughly 2.5 hours toward Montegue Island and everyone limited in about an hour and a half. from what they told us we were fishing at about 150 feet or so with 4lbs of weight and using herring for bait. most of the 'but was pretty small on average around 10-12 lbs. the two biggest on the boat were just under 20lbs then we had about a half hour of rock fishing before heading in. it was probably the nicest day on the ocean i have ever seen, glassy water and 60 degrees with great visibility and sunshine got some fish for the freezer and a nice sunburn so i cant complain.

What time did you get into port? It got a bit nasty out towards evening.

We picked up one small butt, 16 rockies, and 2 cod. Almost got a bear - but that is a whole nother story.

Sorry for thelate report, been tied up at work. We went out Saturday morning around 9. Triedto fish for some rockfish around Calisto Cove but didn't have any luck. Wewaited for slack tide and ran over to Hive Island.Ended up catching 5 Halibut and 4 Cod. First time catching Halibut for allthree of us. First time out of Seward by myself and on my own boat. No big onesbut awesome trip non the less. Thanks Muttley for the tips. Although minordetails, they were very helpful.
    Seward iscalling for 15kn winds and 3ft seas on Saturday. We are talking about heading to Whittier instead.
    Attachment 60540Attachment 60539

we got in around 530-6pm

If you went to Whittier and not to Seward then you really missed out. Friday was a bit choopy, but not too bad. Did really well by rugged and sunny cove for silvergray rockfish and yelloweye. Also got three small halibut. Caught and released three Lings before we found the halibut and yelloweyes. Saturday was awesome; so flat I was at WOT cruising about 44 MPH. Little rainy off and on and chilly, but the wind or waves were not a factor. Caught 4 halibut right off Calisto in about 170' of water. Two of them were 30 pounds and one of those was caught in the middle of the water column as my son reeled in his bait. Heard from some other boats that went to Johnstone Bay and did well on larger halibut. Smooth as glass out there!

Bummer, yep I missed out. Whitter was nice and calm. Caught about 60 shrimp and around 10 rockfish. Really wanted to go to Seward but I guess thats what I get for trusting the NDBC. Oh well theres always next weekend.

Did you get any pictures?

I have a few, will try to upload once I get them off my phone. I need to download the iPhone app so I can insert them direct.

Kory's Yelloweye.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like agood haul to me.

Welp, it looks like i'm going to have the same debate this weekend. I'm gonnatake my parents out for Fathers Day and I don't want to beat them up. Yet againSeward calls for 3ft and Whittier2ft. I would really like to get them in on some Halibut and from the sound ofit, you were in the same area that we fished a couple of weeks ago. Decisions decisions.
    Did you have to fish for the rock fish at slack tide?
    We tried for rock fish about 2hr before slack and it wasn't even worth the hassleof having so much weight on.

Seward has been generous in gracing me and my friends with some nice fish out of Montague. I can't wait for it get hot! We spent a few hours catching and releasing Lings too...wow, they are doing great. All of our big fish were caught jigging.

Headed to Seward!
    I don't think i'll take my 18' Weldcraft all the way to Montague(never been there), but we'll try for Halibut around Fox Island and rockfish around Calisto. Unless anyone else has some hot tips!!!

Thinking about heading east to Johnstone or a little farther this weekend. Anyone have any hot tips or suggestions? If I can get all the way to Montague, I might give it a shot. But I sure would love hearing whether folks have been having any luck in the Johnstone area...

Thinking about heading to Pony Cove tomorrow, any recent reports?

Default Seward as of Wednesday

Went stright to Pony cove Wednesday .... not much happening .... a few boats and several large sealions ... not good for fishing.

No jumpers, saw no bait balls on the sounder.

Went then to Cliff bay on the otherside in Ailiak bay .... about five Dahal's porpus hung around my boat for about half an hour and of course I did not catch a thing (think they liked the tunes from my Ipod) ... in the past has been good for a few feeder Kings.

The day was perfect ... sea wise so I was just going over to Barwell to take a shot at a halibut. The 30 mph crusie was sooo gooood that I kept crusing out to Johnston Bay and on the far side, to the east, jigged up a bunch of rockfish, decided to troll because I started to see several jumper salmon, could be reds heading for the river they run up. On the troll caught the last two rockfish, big ones they had to swim fast to catch up with the herring.

If anyoue has found silvers anywhere else please respond, I have visitors from down south with expectations (my big mouth) ... I think that last year at this time silvers were all over Pony....

Thanks for the update, we don't usually head Seward way until july 4th or later but we thought we might give it a try.

We went out on the 18th, family of five and all hit our limit plus 14 rockfish. Average halibut was probably 20lbs, big rockfish. Halibut fishing is supposed to be very good on the 25th-27th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast