Thread: Desperately trying to move to Fairbanks area from Ohio...

Lightbulb Desperately trying to move to Fairbanks area from Ohio...

Still trying to lay ground work for moving from Ohio to Fairbanks, Alaska area. Realtors, connections, jobs/careers, etc. needed. Currently I am attending U.A.F. online for a Masters in Environmental Science/Geology and currently hold a Bachelors Degree in Environmental Science from Lake Erie College. My wife has her Masters in Business from U.A.F. online also and she is as ready as I am to get up there. PM me with private info. if you like or general info. that I may find useful. Over Ohio! Thank you for the help!

There are a few small engineering or consulting firms up there, but the bulk of the work is centered in Anchorage at the seat of State and Federal government up here. The firms are all in the phone book and easy to find. My agency does not use anyone up there, but once in a while our prime contractors sub to them for something.

The oil field service companies typically only hire their buddies and over qualified people that are well established locally. That could be a hard path to follow, but it could work out anyway. Many Anchorage firms supply professionals for the oil field so you should also look for jobs in Anchorage but that they will let you work out of Fairbanks.

The environmental careers for Alaska have been pretty stable for the last 15 years with out much growth. There was a boom in 1993 to 1997 and since the federal panic has abated they are in slow cleanup mode. Every few years a lower 48 firm with a good government contract shows up in Anchorage expecting to take over the industry up here, but after a few months they get pretty quiet and slog along like everyone else.

You could always look to the State and ADEC for an entry level regulator job. If you are sharp industry people will notice and pull you into their world.

Quick quiz: In the environmenal consulting industry within Alaska, what is the most important aspect of the state to understand that can have a major impact on your project's success?

Answer: logistics

Great info, hoping to pull this off before we get trapped in Ohio for good, house, kids, etc.... Slippery slope that many I have talked to down here have been trapped by...

Just a word of advice...

It's pretty tough to find work up here from out of state. In my experience people have a much easier time finding work once they get here.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Definitely something to keep in mind. Might just have to bite the bullet at some point and save some cash and just go...

Quote Originally Posted by THE_HUNTERIAM View Post
    Great info, hoping to pull this off before we get trapped in Ohio for good, house, kids, etc.... Slippery slope that many I have talked to down here have been trapped by...
    That is interesting. As a kid, starting while still in swaddling clothes, we moved every few years. First due to military service for my dad, and then due to the ever changing civil service job my dad had after the military. Growing up my family was never trapped by a home or job or us kids. I will never understand that mentality, but I read about it all the time. I think it is some kind of insanity that so many people have that they think they are sane.

These days I do feel trapped in Alaska after 30 years of it. Every time I travel to the States I feel overwhelmed with the horrendous number of people down there. Its good to be trapped where you are comfortable. The wilderness and other places I get to go into for work every summer is a wonderful snare.

That is where we hope to get "trapped" and hopefully soon! Sheeple density here is nuts, outskirts of the mistake by the lake, Cleveland... I go south to public hunting lands in Amish country when I have a chance, it is a poor substitute though...

You might want to keep an eye on openings at UAF. There are occasionally openings for people with environmental science, fisheries, etc. backgrounds.

Its often best to just do it.Alaska won't let you starve.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Yep alot more game out there than in Cleveland, Ohio lol! People up there also are a lot more kind it seems and willing to help. Thank you all for the help and the nudging to keep my nose heading up North!

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Its often best to just do it.Alaska won't let you starve.
    Well Said!

If this is where you want to be then get cracking....the meter is running. I've often heard and firmly believe that at the end of our days we'll regret the things we didn't a lot more than the things that we did.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I talked to some older folks the other day at the store in line and they said the same thing. Nothing gained if you don't try. The one gentleman was a veteran from WW2 that spent time on the islands taking them back from the Japanese. This was the only time I enjoyed getting stuck in a long line!

Hey hunteriam I will be back in Ohio in about a month, getting out of the military, and then will be working the summer and winter in with a oil company there then off to Fairbanks myself. What have you come up with so far? If you need any help I have found a ton of info about my move from websites and stuff but if you need any help let me know.