Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Price's Corner

Default Price's Corner

AmmoGuide has ask me to do a monthly column entitled "Price's Corner" about shooting and related subjects beginning June 1st. Here is the first column, I hope you all enjoy these once a month short articles.

http://ammoguide.com/?article=pricescorner/120601
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Enjoyed the article. Thanks.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

thanks marten, I appreciate the encouragement
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Good article, Mike, the only things I would change would be the 225 Partition for the Accubond and a 3-9x scope for the 1.5-5. 300 yards is a little far for my eyes with only 5x magnification!

Quote Originally Posted by drow View Post
    Good article, Mike, the only things I would change would be the 225 Partition for the Accubond and a 3-9x scope for the 1.5-5. 300 yards is a little far for my eyes with only 5x magnification!
    The Partition is a great bullet.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Good article! If this is your first one, I hope you have invested in flameproof underwear! Ballsy statements but I won't argue with them, good job!
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

No, this is not my first article, but thanks.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Not my first choice of caliber and scope for shots out to 300 yards but you promote facts and convey confidence in a Readers Digest version of a tried and true cartridge that coaxes the reader to look further at this round with it's rich history. Enjoyed the read.

Very kind comments, thanks PRDATR.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I think you are really close. I would only change one thing. I would use the 350Rem mag as you can add about 300fps if you need a little flatter shooting or harder hitting round or still load it to the same speeds as the 358 if you want.

Yes the 350Rem mag which I had one in a Remington is a powerful handy round indeed.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Nice article that makes a lot of sense. Keep 'em coming.

I recently ordered a 9.3x62 based on somewhat similar analysis. Ammo is getting fairly easy to fin and the .366 dia. bullets are available in several weights, from 232 gr. on up to over 300.
    ___

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    AmmoGuide has ask me to do a monthly column entitled "Price's Corner" about shooting and related subjects beginning June 1st. Here is the first column, I hope you all enjoy these once a month short articles.

Thanks, yes, a lot more bullet selections these days along with great new powders that increase our flexibility as hand-loaders.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post

I enjoyed your article too. I think you do have yourself an everything/do-all hand-load/rifle/scope. That's some decent velocity for such an overly long bullet That bullet packs some serious down-range energy. What it lacks in velocity at 300yds, it makes up for it with massive bullet weight. I've owned two different .358 Wins, a BLR and now a Savage 99. I view it as a modern lever action cartridge. Although I like your rifle choice, I think it's seriously lacking in regards to open sights. A gun used in severe conditions (in my opinion), open sights for a back-up are a MUST.

Your pet load would do phenomenal things anywhere in North America. Tooling up for a sheep hunt in bear country, I've chosen a different path for my .358 Win. Observing these new 200 grain Accubonds, as I'm sure you are too, they are almost the same length as a 250 grain Hot-Cor. I feel these will provide more powder capacity and velocity as opposed to the overly long 225 grainers allowing plenty of wind-bucking performance out to 400 yds. Of course, it aint going to buck wind like a heavy for caliber 7 mm bullet, but any fool would know that you need to compensate for wind. On the other end of the spectrum, a handful of 286 grain round nosed cartridges will always be in my pocket sighted in for the open sights for the hike/float out. These big round nosed bullets will also be my bullet of choice for moose and bear. If you could have looked in the eyes of a 9 ft. tall interior grizzly 20-25 yds away, you'd understand.

When I first started toting the 358 back in 2003, the bullets we have today, simply weren't available. I'm truly shocked that more folks who tote light-weight mountain rifles in Alaska, haven't considered the .358 Winchester. I'm sorry, but I ain't jumping on any 7mm band wagon in bear country. With the new tipped triple shock 200 grain boat tail, and the newly released 200 grain Accubond, I'd venture to say that the .358 Winchester is now a mountain rifle capable of 400 yd. shots in windy conditions (if you understand how to compensate for wind).

mariner_in_ak, I really appreciate your comments. I know you are one of the few who have been a true blue 358Win toting hunter and I for one think that is cool. I have just finished trying the 200gr Accubonds and here is my report.

The 200gr Accubond and Ruger Hawkeye

Let me say, that after trying the 200gr Accubond for accuracy and velocity, I am disappointed to say the least.

Tests were done with a Southwest gauge to determine safe loads for some loads tested in my Hawkeye 358Win.

First: TAC powder is the winner in velocity that is safely within SAAMI max pressures of 52,000cup and top velocity with max safe pressure was 2629fps on average. Now that said, 51grs of TAC is over the threshold and anyone who says or claims to be using a charge of 52grs of TAC behind the 200gr Accubond, needs to understand that even though they might not experience what they think are pressure signs on the brass or with extraction - 52grs is a Dangerous load!!!! If a person keeps using 52grs of TAC, don't say that you were not warned.

The following powders along with TAC have been tested - IMR4895, H4895, W748, AA2495, BL-C2 and they were all slower than TAC and none reached over 2600fps with my 22 barrel and still remained within safe SAAMI pressures or if under they were under the SAAMI pressures was due to a compressed charge and none reached 2600fps.

Second:
    The most Accurate load was with W748, but very slow and it was not as accurate as the 225gr Accubond load using TAC that moves 2556fps on the average much less the 225gr Accubond load using TAC that moves 2506fps on the average in my Hawkeye.

Third: I did a heavy day of testing and have 40 200gr Accubonds left from my second box. To put it plainly, the 200gr Accubond will not be an all around bullet like the 225gr Accubond in my 358Win.

Fourth:
    I will trade anyone the 40 200gr Accubonds I have left for any 30 or more 225gr Accubonds. If interested please PM me with your address and I will give you my address and we can trade.

Fifth: I have been loading for too many years too know that I don't need too test this bullet any longer in my rifle (maybe your rifle will do better) and that the 225gr Accubond will be my go to bullet, not the 200gr Accubond. Anyone who claims to have 2700fps or 2700fps + with the 200gr Accubond in a 358Win, I would like to know your powder and the charge you used to accomplish this if it is not one of the above mentioned powders (because I know what their charge limits for acceptable pressures are in my rifle). Yes, I am very skeptical of anyone who says they are getting over 2700fps or more in a 358Win using the 200gr Accubond and that they assume or claim they are operating at max or under max pressures.

PS - I think this bullet will work fine in a BLR or 99
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

That's a bummer the bullet didn't work out for yah. What type of groups were you getting? I feel you could have gone beyond 2,629 Fps. If that was giving you 52,000 psi with your pressure equipment, let me ask you this:

If you screwed a 338 Federal barrel to your gun, and you shot a factory cartridge that was around 60,000 psi, would this have been dangerous in your rifle? I fail to see how going beyond 52,000 psi is dangerous in a new and modern bolt action rifle. There is no difference between 338 federal brass, 308 win brass, and 358 win brass. But yet........they rated the 338 federal as a 60,000-62,000 psi. cartridge.

Chew on that, and consider updating your staunch opinion regarding the .358 and your load development.

I know my Ruger can take more than 52,000cup, and I went beyond it and my rifle did fine, I just can't recommend going beyond it on a public forum by stating my powder charges. That said my best was just under an inch I did not accomplish going over 2700fps so in my opinion for my rifle which pushes a 225gr bullet 2556fps for 3/4" load and 2506 for just under a 1/2" trumps the 200gr Accubond in my rifle. Of course this is my opinion, as I am sure we all have one. Not everyone has a chronograph, but everyone has a wish list in their head.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Thanks beartooth,

You've motivated me get off my butt, and work up some loads today. I think your grouping, and velocity was excellent to say the least. I know you crave extreme accuracy, but that kind of velocity and group size is excellent with such mild pressures at that! If there is one thing I've learned over my almost decade loading for the 358 Win, is that the .358 bores are rarely finicky, and they seem to shoot all bullets well. This has been what I've both experienced, and read from other's experience. My last .358 load development was an absolute failure. I couldn't find a burn rate for that new mr-2000 powder, and it was WAY too slow for the 358 bore. Other guys are using reloader 7 with good results, I'm choosing the new Reloader 10x for this next load because it's slightly faster than TAC, if not almost equal in burn rates, but slower burning than Reloader 7. Reloader 10x likes to be compressed (safely), so this is why I'm first trying this powder. I don't think my Savage 99 will be as accurate as your rifle, but is should be acceptable.

I rarely ever get obsessive-compulsive with my hunting loads (consider the kill zone of a moose), but today, I'm treating the .358/200 gain handloads like match grade ammo: All charges weighed, match grade primers and all brass trimmed to the same length. I'll write back regarding final charge weights.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post

I rarely ever get obsessive-compulsive with my hunting loads (consider the kill zone of a moose), but today, I'm treating the .358/200 gain handloads like match grade ammo: All charges weighed, match grade primers and all brass trimmed to the same length. I'll write back regarding final charge weights.
    I am interested in your results with RL-10 so please post those results. Also, compressed charges in the 358Win due to bore size in my many hours of working with the cartridge is the use of Mag primers giving me not only better velocities but also equal if not better accuracy of the standard primers. Just a suggestion you might try. Looking forward to your results.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

My experience with compressed charges and the new Reloader 10x, is that the velocity difference is negligible between a standard CCI Large Rifle Primer, and a CCI Magnum Rifle Primer. In the 375 Win, it was all of 20 fps difference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast