Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If you had to move out of Alaska,, where else is firearms friendly?

Default If you had to move out of Alaska,, where else is firearms friendly?

I have only been here for 54 years. But the windy damp of living in Homer is starting to get to me and even worse to my wife.

If you had to move out of Alaska, even for only part of the year,,, which State would you choose?

The only other places in the US I lived in were back in college and when I was on active duty.... WA, OR, MA, RI, SC. None of which tripped my trigger.....

What are the best firearms friendly states?
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Arizona, Texas, Montana, Wyoming, Florida.

I have a cousin who works for Browning in Utah... How are they in that State ?

Arizona tops the list one very gun friendly state! Great winter weather for sure! If you are retired Phoenix has Luke airforce base, Tucson has Davis-montham airforce base and Sierra vista has fort Huachuca. The gunshow at the state fairgrounds is something else too take you two days to see everything... Hunting is great if you can get drawn for a tag. When hunting season is slowing down up here it is taking off down there.

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    I have a cousin who works for Browning in Utah... How are they in that State ?
    I grew up in Utah and they are actually really good in regards to firearms. You will need a concealed weapons permit, (easy to get, used to be about $100 and a 3 hour class) and they are one of the only states that allows firearms on college campuses. Once you have a concealed weapons permit, you can do anything (and maybe more; their 'castle' doctrine is very broad) you would be able to in Alaska essentially with firearms.
    It seemed like about once a year a bank robber would come running out of a bank and someone sitting in the intersection in their truck would hop out, chase him, and hold a pistol to the back of his head until the police arrived. A lot of concealed carry going on down there.
    If you are sick of cold and wind, look into Southern Utah; a lot warmer down that way.

This guy is an attorney who specializes in gun law and has written several books about it. I read one of his books years ago and he is very intelligent and easy to understand. Looks like he has a book that would help you weigh options for the various states. I have no affiliation with him, but can vouch for his legitimacy.

You don't have to leave Alaska to get away from Homer! How about Fbks?
    Every once in a while I think about Nevada. Wyo. has possibilities too.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Northern Nevada
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I have lived in:
    Homer (my home town)
    Seward, (no reason to go back there)
    Petersburg (Which I loved except the constant misty rain 320 days a year),
    Fort Yukon, Don't get me started
    Galena, Nice in the summer. if your 4 wheeler was faster than the cloud of bugs chasing you.
    The Mat Valley between Palmer and Wasilla by Wolf Lake. ( nice summers but way too many city people moved in)

I can't see me moving out full time,,, but I may eventually head out during part of the winters so my wife does not go nuts.
    We just came back from Bavaria (her home area) and Northern Italy. Even in the mountain areas they had cherry trees with semi ripe fruit....
    It was nice being around blooming flowers every day...
    Then we came home to our house with snow covering 30% of our field,, with brown dead grass & mud.... I think it got up to 43 degrees at the house today.....

Idaho, Nevada, Arizona, Utah, Texas, Montana, Wyoming are all good places for guns but there is no place like Alaska.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Flagstaff AZ. Cool summers[7000 feet] mild winters. I would move there in a second if I could. Places to shoot everywhere, a gunbugs Paradise.

All of the previous responses have been out west (and I myself wouldn't mind to live out there) but I live in West Virginia (the state, NOT the western part of Virginia) and I can't imagine a state where guns are much more common or well received than they are here. I am often taken aback from some of the posts from AK residents who have a hard time finding a place to shoot. I shoot handguns off of my back porch and for rifles I just go up on the hill behind the house. And so does nearly every one of my neighbors. I don't live way out in the country either. I can see 8 or 10 other houses from my front yard. Nobody pays any attention to shooting around here. Everybody has guns and it's as common as hearing a lawn mower to hear shooting.

I have talked to some AK residents from Healy who have visited WV and they say that the culture here is about as close to there as anyplace they have been.

I guess I am just saying you don't HAVE to be out west to be in a gun friendly place.

Florida.....
    Sunny most every day.

Fishing is great and plenty of gators (large and small) to mess with.

Gun friendly ? You bet.

That would be a complete turn around from your present location. J s/n.

Float Pilot,

Arizona has mild winters, no doubt about that. The summers are pure hell. Yesterday was 109 and it's just getting started. Hunting is OK if you are one of the lucky lottery winners.

I'm on the east side of the valley in Gold Canyon about 35 miles east of Phoenix. There are about 5,500,000 people in the valley, avoiding traffic is impossible.

Allergies are crazy in the lower areas, most newbies get sick with respiratory and sinus issues specially coming from your clean environment. It took me four years to adapt to the dust and pollen in the area before my head cleared up.

Areas NE around Payson, Strawberry and Pine are nice. They offer small populations, higher cooler elevation, pine trees, lakes and mountains. I have an Uncle in Peterson Bay that is actively looking in this area.

North of Phoenix there is Prescott and Flagstaff. Prescott has a smaller feel and lower prices. It is also in the higher elevation with pines and abundant wildlife. There are a lot of part time winter residents. A three hour road trip will put you in Las Vegas for a little fun.

South of Phoenix is dry and dusty. The state is pro gun with gun shows in most population centers every month.

When the wife and I get sick of AK's cold weather we will start wintering over in the Gulf Shores AL area. Condos on the beach can be rented for the off season pretty reasonably and I have family with a deer lease so I would be hunting into January. I like back bay fishing and could definitely kill some time chasing red drum, grouper and spec trout. Then there is spring turkey and year round hog hunting... A guy could do worse than that!

Sure is hard to beat LOUISIANA not to mention the food down there!!

Mississippi
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

While it misses the gun friendly part of the equation, there is something to be said to heading to Hawaii for a long trip each winter. Non stop flights from Anchorage, great fishing, hunting, and there is something be said for sitting on a sandy beach with the temps in the high 70's low 80's during "winter".
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

While it misses the gun friendly part of the equation,
    That's for sure

My idea of a nice town is less than 10,000 folks. Preferably less than 5,000.

Idaho is just aweful!!! There are no small towns and we are completely anti-gun. Not much to hunt or fish either.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast