Thread: Anchor River

Default Anchor River

Why has the Anchor River not been closed to all fishing when the counts are so low? If it is not closed to all salmon fishing someone should lose thier job! The Anchor should be closed now untill half of the goal has passed the counter!

Maybe because it's still early in the run, likely not even close to the 25th percentile with cold water temps. Run projections won't firm up for another 7-10 days. The no bait and single-hook restriction is a week earlier than last year when they pulled bait, plus they started out the season closing Wednesdays and moving the marker downstream to close the bridge hole. With water conditions as they were, nobody was fishing or catching anything in the Anchor anyway. You'll probably get your wish if numbers don't pick up before next weekend. Looking at the counts for the last two days, numbers are increasing. Hopefully it will keep going that way.

Probably the numbers of sport caught fish is a very low mortality considered with other factors. Something is happening to Alaska kings out in the open ocean. I have a feeling trawlers have a lot to do with that. Need some politicians that will fight for Alaska fisheries in Washington and not support the multi-million dollar trawler boats.

It's also likely that brown bear kill more king salmon than humans fishing a couple weekends do.

Quote Originally Posted by 33outdoorsman View Post
    It's also likely that brown bear kill more king salmon than humans fishing a couple weekends do.
    i suppose you could phrase it that way for sensationalistic purposes... but i would wager that the pre-spawning mortality inflicted by anglers is far greater. Bears get the spawned out carcasses for the most part, not healthy pre-spawning adults. betcha that the weak adults they may catch are weakened due to C&R or being snagged anyway. Eliminate in-river fisheries and there will be plenty of fish for us in the salt and the bears on the river as well. To imply that bear predation has doodly-squat to do with low king returns or recruitment is just, well.... silly.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    i suppose you could phrase it that way for sensationalistic purposes... but i would wager that the pre-spawning mortality inflicted by anglers is far greater. Bears get the spawned out carcasses for the most part, not healthy pre-spawning adults. betcha that the weak adults they may catch are weakened due to C&R or being snagged anyway. Eliminate in-river fisheries and there will be plenty of fish for us in the salt and the bears on the river as well. To imply that bear predation has doodly-squat to do with low king returns or recruitment is just, well.... silly.
    Never said brown bear were causing poor returns. Said that its likely they could get more than fishermen fishing a couple weekends could. The anchor river is regulated way more than lets say the kenai. I don't think shutting the river down for a few weekends will make a significant impact on king returns.

But it's the ethical thing for fish managers to do.

If they step up, they're gonna have to shut down Deep Cr and Ninilchik as well to keep those tiny runs from getting hammered by the anglers displaced from Anchor.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

I know we're talking about the other rivers, but as far as I'm concerned they should have shut down king fishing on the Kenai years ago after they saw the first couple of years of declined runs. But they won't because there is too much money involved. But if they don't watch out they will really loose money because there will be NO kings and nobody to fish them. Same holds true with any other river....imo.

I believe the F&G take way too long to make a decision to do something about a GROWING problem. Look at the moose population here now. I don't think it ever needed to get this way if people were doing their jobs right.

But what the hell do I know.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Emergency Order today closed the Anchor River for Kings. I wonder if they can do an enhancement fishery like Kasilof with hatchery fish to help out the run or just hoping they recover on their own over the next decade?

Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    Why has the Anchor River not been closed to all fishing when the counts are so low? If it is not closed to all salmon fishing someone should lose thier job! The Anchor should be closed now untill half of the goal has passed the counter!
    I said the exact same thing last year. Why not leave this river closed until they reach the minimum biological escapement? I guess this is a dying river that someday will just be an old fishermans tale of how we used to catch Kings in the Anchor.

Quote Originally Posted by HomerAdam View Post
    I said the exact same thing last year. Why not leave this river closed until they reach the minimum biological escapement? I guess this is a dying river that someday will just be an old fishermans tale of how we used to catch Kings in the Anchor.
    There's no perfect approach, but this seems to make the most sense to me too. What they're doing now is like a reckless credit card approach-spend money now and hope you have enough to pay later. Why not pay up front and spend the excess? If there's no excess, you don't spend it and find other ways to make ends meet.

Anybody else notice that on the Anchor River fish counts starting June 14, they are using the Video Weir Count and the daily count dropped dramatically compared to the DIDSON Sonar Estimate?

Quote Originally Posted by Waldo2382 View Post
    Anybody else notice that on the Anchor River fish counts starting June 14, they are using the Video Weir Count and the daily count dropped dramatically compared to the DIDSON Sonar Estimate?
    Weirs are basically fences in the river with a small opening for fish to pass.....meaning when they switched from estimating kings with an open river sonar to a weir, counts would be expected to slow down as fish would be less inclined to pass the "fence" with a small opening. Counts "should" pick up as fish build up....unless the run is as bad as every other king run in the state.