Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a casing teacher

Default Looking for a casing teacher

I am looking for a fly casting teacher, I have been trying to learn to fly fish with very little luck. I love to fish and have always wanted to learn how to fly fish. Not looking for someone to take me to their honey hole, heck we could practice at my pond if you would be willing to make the trip to Sutton. So if you are willing to help or know someone that could let me know thanks.

Check in with Mike at Mossy's in Anchorage. I bet he can get you going right there in the parking lot.

http://www.fedflyfishers.org/Resourc...structors.aspx

Enter Alaska in the search criteria and it will give you a list of FFF certified instructors and locations. There are several in the valley- including Mike Hudson.

If you are just looking for a few pointers, someone near you might chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Check in with Mike at Mossy's in Anchorage. I bet he can get you going right there in the parking lot.

I will check that out the next time I am in Anchorage but truthfully it has been a few months since I have been there. But thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Fleming View Post
    http://www.fedflyfishers.org/Resourc...structors.aspx

Enter Alaska in the search criteria and it will give you a list of FFF certified instructors and locations. There are several in the valley- including Mike Hudson.

If you are just looking for a few pointers, someone near you might chime in.
    Thanks for the link but yes I was hoping that I could find someone that would help for maybe like a six pack or something, can't really afford to pay for private lessons.

Just a couple of suggestions:
    Check out utube for casting tips/instructions. Get a video or two demonstrating fly casting - Lefty Kreh makes a good one.
    Do you already have a fly rod/reel/line? If so, go out in the yard (or on your pond) & try it out. The biggest mistake most folks make is letting the rod drift too far back on the backcast. Let the rod (not your arm) do the work of throwing the line. Aw heck, get Lefty's video.

Yes I have a rod setup and I have been watching videos on YouTube and the one that came with the rod. I have and do practice with but just not getting it. Actually my roll cast isn't to bad but when I try to present coming from my back cast let me just say I would have better luck throwing rocks to catch fish. Like I said really just looking for someone to watch what they do and they watch what I do so I can get the hang of it.

What Gary said, get the Lefty Kreh fly casting dvd. A no non-sense easy to understand dvd from a fly fishing legend. That dvd is how I learned.

http://www.cabelas.com/fishing-dvds-...:referralID=NA

-Dan

Just wanted to say thanks again to you Gary for taking sometime out of your Sunday to give me some advice and feedback. Can't wait to post my first fish catch on the fly rod.

It was a pleasure to meet you. Good Luck - can't wait to see the pics.

Good on you Gary. Wish I would have had someone like you around when I started. I was 'lawn' casting in the gravel parking lot at the fire department in Kotz and nobody knew how to fly fish that I had met at that time. Great that you could help get this guy pointed in the right direction. Very cool.

-Dan

Well still no fish yet but I am getting better just went down to the lake near my work and I had a few casts that looked really good. Thanks again Gary for the help.

I was laughing and thinking about this post the other day. I was with my GF, getting in my float tube on a lake near Chickaloon. We we just getting ready to start. We hadn't even left the shore yet. I was resting my fly rod across the tubes and a fly was at the end of my rod tip- I guess just touching the water.

I was helping my GF get her tube buckled up when CRASH! SPLASH! A 17" rainbow nailed the fly (1 foot from the bank), nearly snapped my rod and try to yank it away. In grabbing it (with fish attached to tip), I swung the ******* right into my lap!

I had told my GF how much fun it would be and how good the fishing was, but this kinda sealed the deal. We are still laughing!

Moral of the story? I can think of hundreds of fish I've caught over the years with not much more than the leader off the end of the pole. Sometimes stealthy, dangling flies over bushes- small streams, etc. We ALL want to be beautiful casters, however casts rarely catch fish. Invest your time in understanding your pray, behavior, where they live, what they eat, and what triggers this.

Ive caught over 100 beautiful lake rainbows this week, perhaps 10 were farther than 30 feet from shore!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Fleming View Post
    I was laughing and thinking about this post the other day. I was with my GF, getting in my float tube on a lake near Chickaloon. We we just getting ready to start. We hadn't even left the shore yet. I was resting my fly rod across the tubes and a fly was at the end of my rod tip- I guess just touching the water.

I was helping my GF get her tube buckled up when CRASH! SPLASH! A 17" rainbow nailed the fly (1 foot from the bank), nearly snapped my rod and try to yank it away. In grabbing it (with fish attached to tip), I swung the ******* right into my lap!

I had told my GF how much fun it would be and how good the fishing was, but this kinda sealed the deal. We are still laughing!

Moral of the story? I can think of hundreds of fish I've caught over the years with not much more than the leader off the end of the pole. Sometimes stealthy, dangling flies over bushes- small streams, etc. We ALL want to be beautiful casters, however casts rarely catch fish. Invest your time in understanding your pray, behavior, where they live, what they eat, and what triggers this.

Ive caught over 100 beautiful lake rainbows this week, perhaps 10 were farther than 30 feet from shore!

Thanks Mike I know I am making more difficult than I need to at times and trust me I would love to cast a fly rod thirty feet . Just figure I should learn the proper form just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by kantill View Post
    Thanks Mike I know I am making more difficult than I need to at times and trust me I would love to cast a fly rod thirty feet . Just figure I should learn the proper form just in case.
    Just tried to send you a pm. Said your mailbox was full.

I'm no pro by any means, ha in all actuality I learned a month ago. But 90 percent of it was self taught. After a few guidelines from a friend I went to a freshly stocked rainbow lake and the trout helped me learn the rest. Honestly I've never had such a blast! I caught over 80 trout in the last week! It may not be pretty yet, but I learn much more from experience then anything else...

Quote Originally Posted by kingman View Post
    I'm no pro by any means, ha in all actuality I learned a month ago. But 90 percent of it was self taught. After a few guidelines from a friend I went to a freshly stocked rainbow lake and the trout helped me learn the rest. Honestly I've never had such a blast! I caught over 80 trout in the last week! It may not be pretty yet, but I learn much more from experience then anything else...
    So true. You'll learn even more when you don't catch any. The little buggers have a way of schooling you just when you think you have it all figured out!

If I had only one hint or piece of advise to give to begining fly casters, it would be "give your back cast time to straighten out before coming forward." That is where 90% of the people I have tought had the most roblems. Stand at a 45 degree angle to where your target is and actually watch your flyline straighen out behind you before coming forward. Timing... It's all in the timeing...

If you are using dry or light flies (not chunking lead) it really helps to get a line straightener to make sure the line uncurls from the shape it has formed on either the spool or reel. Straighteners are cheap and really make the differnce in casting a nice straight presentation versus a big coil of line that bounced the fly backward.

Good luck- if I was out that way I would be happy to spend a little time with you- I would practice withough any fly (or one without a hook- as in snip it) and just the feeling of the lrod loading and unloading.
    BEE

Quote Originally Posted by AKBEE View Post
    If you are using dry or light flies (not chunking lead) it really helps to get a line straightener to make sure the line uncurls from the shape it has formed on either the spool or reel. Straighteners are cheap and really make the differnce in casting a nice straight presentation versus a big coil of line that bounced the fly backward.

Good luck- if I was out that way I would be happy to spend a little time with you- I would practice withough any fly (or one without a hook- as in snip it) and just the feeling of the lrod loading and unloading.
    BEE
    Thanks for that tip I'll look into that because my line is coiled up during time of storage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast