Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Charter Question

Default Another Charter Question

Hello to all,

I am heading up from VA in a couple weeks and am planning on taking the wife and kids (11 &13) on a charter for Halibut. On a budget so was looking at one of the half day charters on the larger boats that take the larger groups in the 125 per person range. I know there are several out of Homer but I was wondering if anyone can recommend one over the others. I understand they all target the 15-25# size halibut, which is OK with me, but I also want to practice catch and release if possible and get my time and money's worth. Also are there any of the larger boats that are located other than Homer. I'm renting/traveling in a motorhome so I am pretty flexible. Thanks for any advice.

Hello,
    A group of us just went out with Dave at Muttley Crew. We had thre kids with us one little one, a fiver, and a ten yr. old. There was some fear on how the kids would do and it worked out okay. We fished halibut for a few hours and did a little trolling after. Dave did a fantastic job, he was positive, easy going, and did a VERY good job in introducing kids to the fun of fishing. We really set Muttley Crew for a hard task with the little ones, and quite frankly us as parents. He did very good, very happy with him, his boat, and most important his attitude towards us and our kids. Dave posts here on this forum, and is based in Homer.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mghallen View Post
    Hello,
    A group of us just went out with Dave at Muttley Crew. We had thre kids with us one little one, a fiver, and a ten yr. old. There was some fear on how the kids would do and it worked out okay. We fished halibut for a few hours and did a little trolling after. Dave did a fantastic job, he was positive, easy going, and did a VERY good job in introducing kids to the fun of fishing. We really set Muttley Crew for a hard task with the little ones, and quite frankly us as parents. He did very good, very happy with him, his boat, and most important his attitude towards us and our kids. Dave posts here on this forum, and is based in Homer.

Mike
    Thanks, Mike. I really appreciate, and am humbled, by the kind words. Here's a picture of Schuyler with the first halibut he ever hooked and pulled in by himself:
    Schuylers.jpg
    To me being able to take a picture like that at the end of the day is priceless.

BTW---I found your "infant" sized PFD that had slipped down behind one of the bench seats. If you'd like me to send it to you please just let me know.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

I would have to say if you can go with Dave on Muttley crew if you can. He would be great with the kids and wife and would do what ever he could do to make your trip great! Some charters will not! I have had to make some pay big time because I had to push the envelope and that can be hard on some! I have had people that could not even stand up and put thier hands on a fishing rod during a trip! I felt bad , but I had to do what the other 5 paid for!!! There is no mercy at sea. I told every person going on my boat to get the transdermal patch for all!!

I'd agree that a smaller boat like Muttley's would be the way to go. But, if a half-day charter is the way to go based on time and/or price, I'd talk to Alaska Coastal Marine. My in-laws go on a half-day trip most summers because my mother-in-law gets sick after a while at sea (and due to the price difference), and their experience with Alaska Coastal Marine has been far better than with another of the large boat half-day outfits.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I'd agree that a smaller boat like Muttley's would be the way to go. But, if a half-day charter is the way to go based on time and/or price, I'd talk to Alaska Coastal Marine. My in-laws go on a half-day trip most summers because my mother-in-law gets sick after a while at sea (and due to the price difference), and their experience with Alaska Coastal Marine has been far better than with another of the large boat half-day outfits.
    It sounds to me as though you're saying I won't do a half day charter. If that's what you're saying you'd be wrong! Just want to be clear on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    It sounds to me as though you're saying I won't do a half day charter. If that's what you're saying you'd be wrong! Just want to be clear on that.
    I didn't say that, buddy - and I'm glad to hear that you'll do so. I'll be giving you a call when my in-laws come in this summer, though they're coming in July when I'm sure you're mostly booked up. I know that my mother-in-law thinks that the larger boats will be a smoother ride and thus easier on her seasick tendencies, but heck...maybe we're wrong on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I didn't say that, buddy - and I'm glad to hear that you'll do so. I'll be giving you a call when my in-laws come in this summer, though they're coming in July when I'm sure you're mostly booked up. I know that my mother-in-law thinks that the larger boats will be a smoother ride and thus easier on her seasick tendencies, but heck...maybe we're wrong on that one.
    No problemo. Don't want anyone to get the wrong idea.

I had someone on recently that actually said the opposite about boat size. They liked the fact that the boat was smaller because on a larger boat the motion when you're sitting still is less pronounced and more conducive to giving him that queasy feeling. I guess he was thinking when it's subtle movement your brain just doesn't quite know how to handle it and throws you off. In a smaller boat you see everything that's going on around you and your brain prepares you for it. Who knows!?!? Thankfully I'm one of the lucky ones that never has a problem with it, so I sure don't know.

Yeah, I've had her out on the Sound in our boat for a couple trips - at least twice for overnight trips and I don't recall her having serious problems like she gets on the larger cattle boats. Maybe you're on to something there. I used to get seasick as a kid, but never since my teen years.

I would say Muttley would be a good fit here too. He does not have a big boat like you are planning on going on, but while a bigger boat might seem better, it may not be for a family for a few reasons.
    If people start to get sick, the big boat has many other customers to satisfy and it is unlikely they will go back early for a few sick kids which could leave you playing nurse; not fishing. Also, the crew of the big boats have a lot of poles to bait up and untangle and you may not get the attention you are hoping for, particularly with the kids.
    Going with Muttley, you would have the whole boat to yourself and definitely more crew attention. I think you would have a much more memorable trip keeping it small and personable. When you're ready to go in, you will be able to do so at your convenience. I can also guarantee those big boats don't offer the chance to go trolling for kings in addition to fishing for halibut as Muttley does. Just my two cents.
    Just remember, you get what you pay for!

Thanks for the input. I'll shoot him an e-mail and see if we can work anything out. If not does anyone have any input on Inlet Charters or North Country. I've seen mostly positive reviews for both. Thanks

You'll get in less fishing on a cattle boat than a 6 pack. The cattle boats don't have everyone fishing at once, you'll be sharing rods and typically once you get your two 10-15# fish, you're done fishing.

I also agree that smaller boats tend to not be as bad on people susceptable to motion sickness. It's the slow roll on the bigger boats that really gets people to turning green in the gills. I also recomend bonine, really helps eliminate the motion sickness and doesn't make you drousy.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I prefer the ride of the smaller rigs. I got sick more days on the ship i was stationed on than I ever did on charter boats, and I spend way more time on charter boats. That slow rock and roll, no go for me.

It's not the slow roll of larger boats that causes sea sickness. It's the way your brain tries to adjust it's balance. On a smaller boat, they're usually completely or partially open and you're able to focus on the horizon and shore. You're mind can orient itself. On bigger boats you're left staring at what your brain thinks are fixed objects inside the cab of the boat for hours on end and it confuses your equilibrium with all the outside movement taking place.

I learned that tip from a tuna charter captain out of Kauai, Hawaii. I started to get really sea sick sitting in the cab area. he made me come on the stern and focus back on the islands as a reference point. It did the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I also recomend bonine, really helps eliminate the motion sickness and doesn't make you drousy.
    Yeah, I get a LOT of people that swear by Bonine, but I'd say the majority of people that I take out that say they get sea sick at the drop of a hat absolutely swear by a Scopolamine Patch. Also good ol' candied ginger seems to work very well for a lot of people.

I think one of the tricks that a lot of people seem to miss is it seems that it takes about 24 hours or so for any sea sickness remedy to really help you out. A lot of people take it about an hour before going out and as soon as I stop the boat they're getting sick. I have heard that you really need to start taking it at least 24 hours ahead of time, if not 48 hours. That way your body has a chance to get used to it.

What I love is it always seems that the people that are most prone to getting sea sick are the first ones to talk about it. And then they keep talking about it. I think at that point it just becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. I try to change the subject when that happens.

Charterboat Operator

Good job Dave, you are certainly good with them kids, makes it fun!

Quote Originally Posted by POLE BENDER View Post
    Good job Dave, you are certainly good with them kids, makes it fun!
    Thanks Greg. Believe it or not when I take a kid out that's never been halibut fishing and they hook and reel in their first fish that smile on their face is indelibly etched in my memory banks. It just makes doing what I do that much more enjoyable.

Charterboat Operator

Dave, I am with you sir. The first time is like a boy thing kids a are thebest.

Sounds like a plan, and a good one, is forming. About the kids and getting sea sick....if they get car sick on winding roads, I would be concerned, if not then don't worry about it. Scopolamine works great, but is prescription and not for kids. About 8 hours ahead of time has been fine when I needed it. Maybe 24 hours for the ginger. Dramamine-bonine never worked when I used to get sea sick, just made me feel really bad on top of the seasickness, but works for some. Anyway, use car-sickness as a judge about you and the kids, usually works. And heed the advice from others about staying out in the open and looking at distance. Do NOT let kids set in cabin and play with gameboys, not what they are there for anyway, and a sure way to get them sick! Have a great time, you will all remember it for a long time, and whatever you pay it will be worth it. Ditto everyone that suggested a small boat with just your family vs a big party boat!

The patch works on kids very well our Doc had us cut them in half untill our girl hit to 80lb mark.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast