Thread: Some Baranof and Chichagof Bears to look at,....Help me learn some here

Default Some Baranof and Chichagof Bears to look at,....Help me learn some here

Ok, these are not very good photos, but I messed around trying to enlarge, etc. this is all I could do
    Maybe you guys can zoom them on your screen (?) cause you can get a much better look at the details if so,

Thinking these should be good enough for some "Size Judging Tips,"

I had solid opportunity to stalk both these Bears while running through SE

the First was just south of Peril Straits, Baranof Island
    I won't give my opinion,...other than that I only have a Black Bear Hide on board as I post

and the second, on the north shore of Lisianski Inlet, Chichagof Island

So pretty sure they were total non shooters,...but why,...or is it Whoops (?),...
    and how big are these Bears do you guys think?
    Sow or Boar ??

Thanks for the Advise

Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I'll assume you didn't have a permit for that color phase. LOL

Both look to have small heads and would guess first is sow and second young bore.JMOFO
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Think I recently saw the first bear - Pretty sure I recognize that beach

These pictures don't give me much to go on Kodiak, sorry. I had a guide tell me one time if it looks like the bear will not fit in a 55gal drum its probably a shooter - that seems to have always stuck in my head when I judged blackies that I was considering shooting... Just from the photos both appear to be bigger than that from what I can tell...
    Bears are so tuff to judge that long ago I just decided if it felt right, I had a good clean shot, I would take a bear and be happy no matter how big it ended up being. The magic of the hunt encompasses far more than measurements in my book....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

i'm a bit cornfused...your reference to a black bear in your post, and a couple replies that seem to think your speaking blackies seem to suggest you might be thinking that these are blackbear...but even with the great distance and poor detail in the photos, i'm seeing two very different brown bear, the top photo possibly haveing some classic south east spring "rub" going on (i'm getting that from the "two tone" look, though every impression is merely guesswork at this range without haveing more to look at) and definitely no immediate indications that its not a sow, and definitely no great excitement in needing much more of a look as a potential stalk...
    and on the bottom photo if a guy just HAD to have my opinion without me getting lots of better looks...well a quick "guess" would be: possible/probable boar, and definitely worth a better look. neither areas are particualarly known for plus sized bears with boars going better than nine foot being very repectable...this being the case, and being forced to have an opinion with only this view: i'm wanting to get closer, and look at him more... and i'm mainly using hip heighth and body length from this crappy distant view to come up with a first impression...broadside views can actually tell ya alot sometimes...even from a distance. and i'm much rather have a quick broadside view at a distance as a size/sex indecator than any other postition. .....but at the end of the day, i wanna get closer and look alot more before any judgement...and thats on most any opportunity to judge bears, unless very obviously small or female. not much help there...but imop this thread just reitterates the need for lots of hunters (myself included) to take the time to get closer and study the animal before any decisions are made.

ABC's only have browns don't they?
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

They are both brown - we don't have blacks out here. Also in another thread KR has pictures of the black bear he shot back in misty, hence the black bear hide reference.

Quote Originally Posted by pacific-23 View Post
    They are both brown - we don't have blacks out here. Also in another thread KR has pictures of the black bear he shot back in misty, hence the black bear hide reference.
    yep i kinda figured...misinterpreted the context it appears. Smokeys post threw me. My bad

kodiak,

the bottom photo shows a long lanky bear, whenever i see this I think.. woohooo a nice one, only to get closer and study him and see it is a juvenile or average bear. happens every year to me.....I am no expert or guide, just my observations. Long lanky "cookie cutter shape" where you can see under him= juvenile bear.

Quote Originally Posted by ninefoot View Post
    and on the bottom photo if a guy just HAD to have my opinion without me getting lots of better looks...well a quick "guess" would be: possible/probable boar, and definitely worth a better look. neither areas are particualarly known for plus sized bears with boars going better than nine foot being very repectable...this being the case, and being forced to have an opinion with only this view: i'm wanting to get closer, and look at him more... and i'm mainly using hip heighth and body length from this crappy distant view to come up with a first impression...broadside views can actually tell ya alot sometimes...even from a distance. and i'm much rather have a quick broadside view at a distance as a size/sex indecator than any other postition. .....but at the end of the day, i wanna get closer and look alot more before any judgement...and thats on most any opportunity to judge bears, unless very obviously small or female. not much help there...but imop this thread just reitterates the need for lots of hunters (myself included) to take the time to get closer and study the animal before any decisions are made.
    Thanks guys for the opinions,
    Sorry I posted this, then was out of town for quite a while immediately following
    to clarify or answer more to the thread I kicked off,....

My idea was just as Ninefoot mentions,...the need to make a judgement of a sort from distance,...before going into much more detailed study of the animal
    Unfortunately the photos I could come up with were much farther away appearing than I really was, (constraints of telephoto, etc.)

but is encouraging to hear some of the basics were the same as I deduced, the first just had appearance of being a Sow,
    (tho I didn't notice the potential rubbing), and not large really

the second bear was the more interesting one, but they still both were not enough to go after for a variety of reasons

I was curious if anyone would mention the long lanky thing,...and I was looking for more size judging tips like,...

they both just looked small up front,...like the shoulder structure just not developed enough to be a mature Boar ??
    was the most noticeable thing to me, had never heard anyone mention that before from a side view like that,...hmmm

Anyway, (yeah by the way, I did know they were Browns, heh heh) I am used to seeing either Kodiak or AK Peninsula Bears
    and so was wondering how much I should "Downsize my Expectations" for judging them on the ABC's

for example the head size, in relation to the entire body, did not seem necessarily small to me, thinking of the "They're smaller all around over here" idea
    So, of course, while I was in Sitka, a day earlier, some guys had a Super Nice Hide hanging in the shelter of their boat,...
    talking to the guide later, he said it measured something like 9' 6",...which was working on me for sure

If it had not been that I already had some recent Bear hunt success with the Blacks further south,...
    not sure I want to have to wait years, after taking a medium size Brown Bear
    I would have made a further stalk on the second Bear, just to watch it for a while, get some better pictures maybe
    and if it was an extraordinary hide, and 8.5 ft or so, I may have taken it

So anyway, Thanks for the advice and help
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !