Thread: ATV's and stands/stations

Default ATV's and stands/stations

How far away does everyone park from their stands? I have been getting hit hard by black bears but something is off rather it be my timing or something. I sat in the stand almost all weekend and nothing connected but two different times when I left bears came within an hour of me leaving. My scent is down I think anyways did some honey burns you can smell my stand from a good distance. I just dont know what is off. I have been riding right up the the barrel when I rebait then parking my wheeler 15 or so feet back from my stand. My wheeler is dark green I can barely see it so I know the bears dont. I am just trying to narrow down what is off its starting to get frustrating having some big bears hit and having them come less than an hour after I leave one of the times it was 12 minutes after.

Bring someone else to ride your quad out a mile or so. You stay in the stand and wait.

Many factors.

How old is the stand?

Got sneaky smart bears?

Lots of coverege?

Scent up wih human smell?

I've seen bears taken with an ATV at the next tree, I've also seen guys fake out leaving the are on ATV before a bear would come in.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

The bears have you patterned. Change up your routine. Re-bait, drive a mile away and come back in on foot.

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Many factors.

How old is the stand?

Got sneaky smart bears?

Lots of coverege?

Scent up wih human smell?

I've seen bears taken with an ATV at the next tree, I've also seen guys fake out leaving the are on ATV before a bear would come in.
    The stand has been out just about 2 and a half weeks new stand this year got hit last wed,thurs,fri,sat I keep it stocked with bait but when I am there nothing has come in has a moose walk under my stand thats about it. I have a old stinky shirt in the stand and they come in still so they dont mind that scent. I have come and gone at all hours of the day so the time is random so that is why I narrowed it down to the wheeler .

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    The stand has been out just about 2 and a half weeks new stand this year got hit last wed,thurs,fri,sat I keep it stocked with bait but when I am there nothing has come in has a moose walk under my stand thats about it. I have a old stinky shirt in the stand and they come in still so they dont mind that scent. I have come and gone at all hours of the day so the time is random so that is why I narrowed it down to the wheeler .
    Yep. sounds like they figured out that wheeler = food. I would bet that Mountain Man Jacks plan would result in a dead bear within a very short time. Give it a try!!

Agreed. Rebait, get in your stand and have your buddy drive out a ways and walk in.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

All have given good advice.

On the riskier side - You could get and use a predator call. They might think some other greedy critter is eating their food. Use the technique with caution.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

I always bait and drive away..walk back quietly..or bait early and walk in later ...

Another trick if you have a buddy with you and are sharing stands. I have found bears for as smart as they are... have not figured out the counting game..have your buddy ride in with you,, park yours in the brush and he drives off.

Thing to keep in mind...i also have bear holes in every atv seat i have..espessally the ones used to carry the bait

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Wet eNuf View Post
    All have given good advice.

On the riskier side - You could get and use a predator call. They might think some other greedy critter is eating their food. Use the technique with caution.
    I have had no luck calling at the bait..even cub calling..however a mile off is another story..we called in an 8+ sow in last week (grizz) who would not give the kiddo a shot..she "talked" to is for over 25 min as she circled.

"If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thanks for the advice all! I put it into action last night and a bear came in a very nice one to boot except I got in a fight with my sling when trying to take the gun off the hook and bounced my gun off the tree and spooked him off bahhh!

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    I have had no luck calling at the bait..even cub calling..however a mile off is another story..we called in an 8+ sow in last week (grizz) who would not give the kiddo a shot..she "talked" to is for over 25 min as she circled.

Last weekend a friend called a blackie almost right to his stand. Came in gnashing it's teeth. Unfortunately it was at o'dark 30 and was just dark enough he couldn't make out his crosshairs in time before the bear spotted him in the stand and took off. Oh and get this......when the bear came in, he stood up on a small spruce between he and my buddy to peek around.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I Hadn't been driving mine away until i watched where the bears were coming in from one night. Nice boar got hung up 75 yards out and was staring right at my wheeler. oopsie I wasnt leaving it right out in the open but it wasnt hidden well enough for his liking. Since that night I rebait and drive down the hill aways and walk back in.