Thread: ***Taxidermist***

Default ***Taxidermist***

After all the recent threads on shady taxidermist and issues so many people have had I thought I would start a thread on the subject.

All too often people in Alaska take their hard earned hides, antlers, horns, fish, etc to the first taxidermist they see or hear of or the cheapest one they can find after a 5 minute yellow page search and a couple of phone calls.

You took the proper time to research your hunt, research gear, buy supplies, go on the hunt now why donít you sit down and do your research on taxidermist and find a good one and use them?
    There are a lot of taxidermists out there to choose from some are great and some not so great, weed through them and find the one for you. Look at what other people have to say, check Google of all things you might be surprised at what you find. If they have made poor business decisions or life decisions previously you might not want to give them a try with anything that has a significant meaning to you. Check with the BBB and court view. Talk with other hunters and see who they have used and what they thought of them. LOOK at finished specimens, some taxidermist are artist with some species and not so good on others. Ask about turn around time and get it in writing if possible. Ask them how many customers they accept per season or if they just keep accepting them no matter how back logged they are. Find out who is actually going to be working on your trophy. Some taxidermist have big names but they let new people do the work and do not oversea it or even check the finished product.

These are just some ideas to get you pointed in the right direction. It also helps if you do this research prior to leaving on a hunting trip not once you return.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

I might add to Robs thoughtful post...Know WHERE, your taxi will be before you leave, your trophy care depends on it, if he is to be out hunting when you return, he will give you directions s on what he would like you to do..

Often as not its freeze it if un salted, until he returns. Having a relation ship...or at least un understanding of each other before you head afield;

may mean the difference between a mount you love, and running to the closest open guy that will take it before it spoils, and getting something you are less then happy with in the end

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    I might add to Robs thoughtful post...Know WHERE, your taxi will be before you leave, your trophy care depends on it, if he is to be out hunting when you return, he will give you directions s on what he would like you to do..

Often as not its freeze it if un salted, until he returns. Having a relation ship...or at least un understanding of each other before you head afield;

may mean the difference between a mount you love, and running to the closest open guy that will take it before it spoils, and getting something you are less then happy with in the end

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
    Great point Vince I should have thought of that!

MAKE SURE THEY HAVE A CONTRACT.

If they dont have enough business scence to have a Written contract with their customers, this is the first indication of lack of responcability.

Are They doing the work or is it being SUBWHOLESALED out . A lot of guy do not do a certain species at all, ( I DO NOT DO Birds),
    So if I was doing a bird ,it would have to be sent out to a wholesaler. MAKE SURE YOU AGREE TO THAT AHEAD OF TIME !!!

What Tannery do they use ?

There are some very good tanneries & then again there are a LOT of very bad ones. This has a lot to do with your finished product.

Can they actually pull of the alterations for the Action pose you want or do they just offer whats in the catalogue ?

Do they have a website or atleast a binder with photos of past mounts so you can see what kind of abilities they actualy have as a taxidermist.

Are they a Full time operation or do they just work on taxidermy in their time off of anouther job ? Alot of times other jobs will actually hinder the progress on getting things done on time.

Educate yourself as a sportsman about what Quality mounts actually look like.

I have found that most hunters do NOT know anything about quality until it is show & explained to them, They do know that this mount looks nicer than that one .

Look at their mounts from the horns / antlers down. You can have a world record that is the worst mounting ever & will still have people oogleing over that mount is beautiful.

Do they have a REASONABLE COMPLETION TIME on their contract. 2 or 3 years is Not reasonable.

Just because you are way behind on getting your customers mounts out does not meen you are a good taxidermist, IT meens you took in more than you could get done & do not know how to arange your business so you can stay atleast reasonably caught up.

A lot of guy will only send in skins to their tannery After the seasonis over so they can save on shipping & get them all done at once.

This means that the first guys of the season animals have been sitting for up to 6 months already. THATS HOW PEOPLE GET BEHIND.

& Lastly do you as a hunter know how to PROPPERLY take care of your animal for Your taxidermist.

So many times we get in skins that are already ruined by the hunters lack of knowledge on skinning or capeing or just leaving it in a plastic bag for 3 days.

Talk to your taxidermist & find out what he requires & how he wants the skins taken care of.

we like Short Y incisions, most guys do not know how to skin off for short Y. All it takes is a phone call & a few minutes on the phone & it could make all the difference in the world.

Oh one more thing, Are YOU unrealistic of how fast you want your animal back ????

Those stupid TV shows did an injustic to the taxidermy industry by assuming that mounts can be done in just a couple days.

Mounts have a MINIMUM Drying time before they can be finished or they will crack arround the eyes, nose, lips & other places.

Even if we use a fast setting glue, the skin still has to dry thouroughly before finishing. That time depends on where the taxidermist lives, due to humidity, & outside temperature.

My shop in Oregon dries mounts alot faster than here in Fairbanks.

Anyways as stated before try to do your home work ahead of the hunt & you will be a step ahead.

I think this post should be moved to Mount Care forum.

Good luck
    RJ Simington

That is an excellent point, Vince. Our taxi was out hunting when we returned but got home the next day which was good news for us. Got lucky this time but we will definitely be thinking more on it for next time...

RJ nailed it. DO your homework. No excuse.

I have found that many of the biggest names also have the fairest prices when all said and done. I have found if the head man does the work its more than if his newest man does the work per your request. Big well known shops turn out a lot of product of good quaility and thats how they got big.JMOFO
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Good looking mounts are the product of proper care in the field and a competent taxidermist. Short cut either end and the results will suffer. I've used several taxidermists over the years. The ones I used only once wasn't an accident. When I find a good taxidermist I'll stay use him when possible and treat him as fairly as I can as I'm going to look at his work for years to come.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

If they have a RANGER tab is a +1 as well...

another point is make sure you ask for and get the same or better quality year after year.
    I had a whitetail done in Texas that came out Show quality, due to the fact Jed (the owner and founder of Sulpher Creek Taxi) did it himself and no rush. The following year, he had his "new guy" do a deer for me.... apparntently without sufficent supervision..... seams rough and gapping, eyes staring in to open space, bullet exit hole plainly visable. should I go on? Oh, and yes; I paid the same price for each mount.

Chris

Has a Taxidermist ever made a polar bear high fiving a moose?

Mainer,

have seen a taxi'ed brown bear high fiving a blacktail deer...

So it is possible, that somebody has already done that. As well as put wine glasses in baboon hands, and cigars in deer mouths!

Chris

creeeeepy! Taxidermists weird me out! Taking dead body parts and manipulating them into poses n all.

I still think one of the best Taxi jobs was a glass raised table with a trout scene inside of it.. was simply amazing work looked as if you could just drop a line in on the coffee table and fish away!

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Quote Originally Posted by NhraFox View Post
    I still think one of the best Taxi jobs was a glass raised table with a trout scene inside of it.. was simply amazing work looked as if you could just drop a line in on the coffee table and fish away!
    I'd like to see a picture of that!!
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by akgun&ammo View Post

have seen a taxi'ed brown bear high fiving a blacktail deer...
    We MUST see this...

Quote Originally Posted by NhraFox View Post
    x2...lets see this one as well!