Thread: Homer Fishing Hole

Default Homer Fishing Hole

Heading down for a visit with family and friends. Hadn't thought kings were gonna be in yet, but maybe I forgot what it was like living there. Whats the word on fish coming into the spit? won't have a boat with us, so looking to see if there has been any luck at the Fishing Hole. The youngest daughter asked if we could go fishing, so thought I would check and see! Heading down Saturday for most of the week. Thanks!

See attached news release for Youth-only fishing day this Saturday, June 2 at the Fishing Hole:

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...1616&year=2012

Quote Originally Posted by faemystique View Post
    Heading down for a visit with family and friends. Hadn't thought kings were gonna be in yet, but maybe I forgot what it was like living there. Whats the word on fish coming into the spit? won't have a boat with us, so looking to see if there has been any luck at the Fishing Hole. The youngest daughter asked if we could go fishing, so thought I would check and see! Heading down Saturday for most of the week. Thanks!
    I go by there fairly often on the way to my boat and I sure haven't seen a lot of people fishing. But I only drive by early in the morning and then later in the evening. If I were you I'd call The Sport Shed (235-5562) and ask them. They always have a pretty good handle on how the return is into the Fishing Hole.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Any recent updates? I am taking a 7 year old down and wondering if anyone has had any luck and what set ups they are using? Any suggestions on the best lure/bait or combo for the fishing hole? Thanks for any suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Elentari View Post
    Any recent updates? I am taking a 7 year old down and wondering if anyone has had any luck and what set ups they are using? Any suggestions on the best lure/bait or combo for the fishing hole? Thanks for any suggestions.
    Best bet, once again, is to call the Sport Shed. They are right across from the fishing lagoon and know what's going on there daily.

And if you really want to get your little one onto some fish the best bet is the beach on the harbor side of Land's End. There are always plenty of fish of a large variety around there.

I second what Muttley says. The fishing hole is bleak but you can always catch enough at Land's End to entertain a 7 year old.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Thanks for the info. I did call the Sports Shedd before posting, but they were really unsure about numbers or gear (could just be the particular guy I talked to, as they have been helpful when I have been there in the past). We will try Lands End. Type of fish is not important. Just want to let her fish with the possibility of catching. Thanks again for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Elentari View Post
    Thanks for the info. I did call the Sports Shedd before posting, but they were really unsure about numbers or gear (could just be the particular guy I talked to, as they have been helpful when I have been there in the past). We will try Lands End. Type of fish is not important. Just want to let her fish with the possibility of catching. Thanks again for the info.
    That's pretty weird. If someone from the Sport Shed didn't know what gear you'd need to fish the fishing lagoon I'd say you were talking to the wrong person.

They may have been unsure what type of salmon you'd find, pink or king. I haven't heard good things about the king returns on the lagoon for a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by calebsb View Post
    They may have been unsure what type of salmon you'd find, pink or king. I haven't heard good things about the king returns on the lagoon for a few years.
    Apparently you're not familiar with the Fishing Lagoon. The stock it with kings and silvers and any kings that would be returning there are long past. Right now you'd find silvers heading in there, but they don't seem to be coming in just yet. I drove by this afternoon on my way home and there were 2 people fishing. Usually if there are fish to be had you'll also see a LOT of people there.

I heard rumors that they werent going to stock the fishing hole anymore, maybe some of you can confirm or deny that one. It would be a shame if they stopped, we had a lot of fun fishing there over the years.

Always got skunked fishing in the kiddy pond down there. Anyways taking the boat out the 28th to go catch some butts might go peep over at the kiddy pond and see whats up and post here
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by Ronster View Post
    I heard rumors that they werent going to stock the fishing hole anymore, maybe some of you can confirm or deny that one. It would be a shame if they stopped, we had a lot of fun fishing there over the years.
    I haven't heard anything about that, but that doesn't mean a lot. If you're curious call the City of Homer Parks and Rec. Dept. and I'm sure they can tell you if that's true.

Quote Originally Posted by Lake creek fishermen View Post
    Always got skunked fishing in the kiddy pond down there. Anyways taking the boat out the 28th to go catch some butts might go peep over at the kiddy pond and see whats up and post here
    I drive by it every day and if I can remember to I'll let you know how things look if anyone is interested.

Default The Stocking Numbers

Just talked with the gal at ADF&G in Anchorage who oversees their stocking program and here's what she told me:

A total of about 220k chinook smolt were stocked between April and July for release this year;
    A total of about 120k coho smolt released just in the past few days.

The coho comprise about 60k each from Bear Lake and Ship Creek hatcheries which give an early AND a late run of coho. They are going to stop doing that because of some issues, so next year's stocking will be about 120k from Ship Creek.

So, ADF&G is continuing to stock the lagoon and my understanding is that won't change. The other issue is the condition of the Fishing Hole. It needs to be dredged so that the algae bloom that is occurring will stop.

The state and the city have both put $100k into the pot to get the lagoon back to its design levels but some things have to happen first. A survey has to occur to determine how much sediment needs to be removed, then bids need to be solicited. The survey is supposed to happen around Labor Day, says Homer Harbormaster Brian Hawkens.

Hawkens also said that part of the project would involve rerouting the cleaning table drains OUT of the Fishing Hole so that they empty into the Bay. The waste from fish cleaning has been promoting the algae blooms and ADF&G says that's the other reason returns have been so dismal.

I didn't ask, but I would think that it would be a couple of years after the Fishing Hole is reconditioned that the runs of the past are back. Hawkens did say that there would be a maintenance program started to make sure the Hole continues to work like it's supposed to.

That's what I found out.

Thanks for the info Cliffhanger! Sounds like they know what they have to do. Might be slow for a number of years but maybe it will be excellent a number of years down the road.

I have only fished the silvers there in Sept. Didn't realize any hit the hole this early.