Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caribou 75+, Stranger and crew 0

Default Caribou 75+, Stranger and crew 0

Yaaaaaa....... like it said, I counted, in several different groups, 75 total Caribou and not one on my side of three different creeks!!
    Were flooding and breaking up and were trying to get a few more "Meats " to dry, and several thouseand have been moveing alongthe base of the mountain to our East, but seriously far across a swollen, cold, snow fringed creek that is up and moveing..... about 20 yards wide for the moment.
    Were looking at the last of them, as they usually pass bythis time of year, the lakes to our south are thawing and channels are cutting , so Caribou are waiting......and the tail end of those North bound migrating Caribou is soon to pass....

soooooooooo, well see what tomarrow brings ~~LOL!!~~ But I figured to post a "Bust Hunt" that everyone experiances, but few talk of ~~LOL!!~~ Oh well, time to cruize the waterways.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Come on, Stranger. Water skip that sled to the 'bou! A long rope to the opposite shore will get them floated back to the main hunting party. Always enjoy your exploits and life in the northland. Keep 'em coming.

I could send ya'll some spam if needed.I betting it was still a great day.I'm a month past getting to my camping spot as its still snowed in.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I hear it ain't true until you post a picture!
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Yaa, another picture of Caribou in the distance ~~LOL!!~~

I dont risk my ride or hide with water skipping anything. Its too far to throw meats across anyway, and no snow between my yard and the base of the mountain, just miles of overheating or water puddles....cold cold cold water puddles....I can wait, might even take a ride back there for another look over, inwhile anyway, The river is going down and I want a few more Caribou if possible.
    Too much to do....gota finnish up on the Umiaq too, looking for scrap steel to weld a mast base and some fittings, but dryed meats are the food of the traveler.

This innings score is Stranger; 4, crew 9, Caribou 100+ kept on running

Bout 4 this morning with the sun in my eyes, we finnally had a nide group approach us diretly, and as we set up the rifles and put down the coffee, they came into range.

Sorry, no action photos or vids, I was not accompanied by the filming wife, and I can shoot either the camera or the rifle, and cameras dont make my meat.

Females , heavily laden with babys, a couple bulls and tons of yearling following behinde, I caught two lean Bulls and two lean yearlings to dry, and the rest were past and migrateing north, rapidly

Heres one the ladys are working on as I have my wakeup cup and cruize the internet, get ready to work today.......Im tired ~~LOL!!~~IMGP3897.jpg

Czeck LPS through the M-39 and a neck shot blew this guys bones out. Dead before he dropped The other 3 sufferd simular fates ........

IMGP3899.jpgIMGP3901.jpg

The girls took over.....my 6 year old flits an ulu like a pro, here shes getting the sinews off with her mom.....

How does a hard working woman have time to paint her nails?

Hey, that meat looked good enough to go in the fry pan for breakfast!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

IMGP3905.jpg
    Enough pix now Bullbuster?

Didnt get steaks, the woman , she peeled em and hung em to dry. Boiled meat on the vertaebre bones and upper leg bones full of Marrow..... like eaten like Corn on the cob with salt and pepper, fresh picked Fireweeds, Ranch dressing and Tea.
    Me and the wife hit the platter before the kids came home, we trimmed and saved 'em each one, thank full some are "Out"

To marrow morning I predict fryed diced white onions, potatoes and lightly fried back strap (its left out for the night) with black boiled Coffee, our morning two cup wake up.

MT shes never one to over look the small things, her and the girls have their time, although lately its alotta sewing , as my 2nd daughter is going to Hawaii in a couple weeks and they are getting spending $$ up this next week in Kotz with some sales. Wicked busy women.

Man Stranger, breakfast sounds good, would like to come up just for that, what time is breakfast served ?

If you had a Go Pro mounted to the M39, you could do both shootings at the same time! Glad it all worked out to get your meats for your adventures.

Breakfast is served when its done ~~LOL!!~~ depends onthe day and the way, as of late, Ive been just napping with all thats to do and 24 hour day light, but if you arrive DEDWOLF, you will get fed plenty.

Soooooooooo, with Caribou on our minds, but not i9n our sights, we went boating yeasterday.....
    Some Caribou have been had lately allrighty, lots are drying on the rack inthe yard, but Boating is apon us Folks here in the Arctic, so I threw all the girls in and took 'em for a ride to look at how far the ice has gone.

As well , we checked on a favord Camp, Kookoochack and dropped off a few things to lighten the load and made our way the to the 'inlet', Kobuk Lake' between the rivers mouths here on the Delta and the Sea.
    Didnt see any Sea animals down there, but the river is advanced out only about 1/4 miles, but while we were there, i knocked off a dozen ducks, fat and fresh from the South and a great agument to the Hotdogs, mustard and dryed meat we brought for the day. We checked on the house at the "Lower camp" where we wait for waether or stay at when were hunting/fishing down by the lake, and found the winters occupant wasnt very neat or clean to our dismay, so we returnd to our Kookoochack Camp and went to work.
    We all cleand an old Fur Cache' the father in law built in the 50's with trees around, and a few years back we replaced the barrels that keep mice and other roadent from the furs (cant climb up), and being a good roof and breezey walls, Fur will be hung in there soon, as we leave our beddings and winter clothes in there.Good for storeing all kinds of cloth, fur and such.

I put in a new barrel stove I made this winter from an old thick barrel.

All the while the ladys cleaned up the house, yard (spring cleaning) and took care of the Ducks, burning feathers and roasting a bunch, 10 total......Mmmmmmmmmmwhat a lunch!

Then the Second oldest daughter caught a Beaver on teh way home as the rest of us looked out for Mammoth to Hunt

The moment she hit its brains.....can just see some flyin'

And she took care of it nicely....

also found this ......

Sewing sewing sewing, for cash, gas , grass or to wear iffn' we cant sell 'em......

Hard bottoms for Mukluks getting started, getting scraped from fresh Bearded Seal hide with sand atop to protect the dermis while the hair is shaved close.

All Caribou Tutuuluks

Way cool pics man! Good to see the oldest sticking around. Looks like it was good times for sure! Find any mamoth? How is the 20 horse running? Probably broke in by now eh?

Yaaaaaaaaa........getting broke "in" is way better than plain ol' 'Broke' ~~LOL!!~~

Some bone, about 5 lbs of ivory, but its old, chalky and its gonna crumble when it drys.....might make good blue Pool cue chalk.. ~~LOL!!~~ Other than that, the water is still very high and the places along the coast we hunt them mostly are still ice bound, but things are changeing quicly.
    I still have to coat my Uniaq wth asealant and that will replace or at least accompany the tinny boat, might make that Tinny my "kayak", in use , at least .

Its getting there that is 1/2 the fun, the other 1/2 is up to chance, those who dare and what we make of our day. We may all be dead tomarrow, so the time to be happy is NOW .

The oldest daughter, Tinmiaq, plans, so far to attend classes for driveing. Driving cars first, then a commercial licenset, then a '6 pack' Captains license, so were studying the feasability of takeing a tourist to further fund our selfs........she's great with people and knows her s**t Weve ponderd' the idea before, but the area and village we were in werent gonna allow it, unless thay owned it..LOL!! But here folks are quite receptive and seek opportunitys , so we might have something here....

You have a beautiful family stranger - its always refreshing to see a family as close as yours enjoying time together for sure....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Well i'm working up an appatite, who knows maybe I can get up at some point in time for chow,, would be good.

Looking at the picture of the 5 happy faces during your boat ride, the boat type looked somewhat familiar, is it a Lund ?

I really enjoy threads like this. Please continue to post pictures of the day to day life out there! thank you from Colorado...

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    Enough pix now Bullbuster?
    I knew ya had it in ya. Ducks, flatwater and sunshine.......................................... .................................................. .............................

Had me daydreamin' there. Thanks for the pics, always a daytrip.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

And a BIG thanx to you, Bullbuster, couldnt have done it without ya

Fact is , were just getting started, a few hurdles to leap and Ill be "GONE!!!!" from this village and seein' whats up along the coast.......cant wait to getthe filimings together this fall in my idle days and get something together we can all enjoy as a Looooooooooooooooooooooooong vid.......that Gopro stuff should help along way with such too.

Hope this is Good for 'yall too

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast