Thread: Polymer mags U.S Army

Default Polymer mags U.S Army

The Army has banned the use of aftermarket polymer mags ie magpul mags. Only approved steel mags can be used now. No reason was giving... I guess the famous good idea fairy came up with this one...

I wonder how long it takes for them to implement that regulation over here? You should see how many people have Pmags now, heck a lot of units have even issued them.

Clearly we don't want to use stuff that works! If you want to know why then follow the $$$$$$$!

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    The Army has banned the use of aftermarket polymer mags ie magpul mags. Only approved steel mags can be used now. No reason was giving... I guess the famous good idea fairy came up with this one...
    Article I read said aluminum mags.Doesn't matter,I've never had a problem with a PMAG or Lancer polymer mag.Can't say the same of the "MILSPEC" mags,although the main problems with those were w/ the follower,which was corrected with ? A MAGPUL follower !!!I can guarantee you they are both tougher than an Aluminum mag anytime.

The ban is on the military issue mags with the black follower, there has been a recall on all of them. The new authorized mags have a tan follower, this is for issued mags. No problems using pmags or h&k mags as most of us do. There havent been any issues with the new mags with tan followers though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    I haven't heard of this at Ft Campbell. When did this ruling come out?
    MyTime

Having served as a leader in combat with Infantry in many different locations, I have experienced where many self proclaimed weapon experts will try to modify, change or use something that may not be the best choice. MagPull may be a great option, not available through supply, that a soldier must buy. Then a cheaper version comes along, so that must be just a good right? I mean because it is the same right? When you are the one to make decisions to allow people to do things that can expand into something that you didn't intend and could result in failure because it was not properly tested, then it takes on a whole different perspective. Twenty years ago in a different combat theater, many Soldiers began to use the early versioins of dry slide and other comercially marketed "lubricants". They worked great in a training environment where the weapons weren't pushed to the limit(properly tested). Many of those Soldiers experienced weapon failures because those lubricants broke down in combat. Were they a product that an very experienced firearms expert would use? Probably not, but they were allowed to make a decision about what lubricant to use and it failed. MagPull is the shiznitz, but the one that looks like magpull but, is not so shiznitzy, might be a real bad choice when the chips are down.

Quote Originally Posted by MyTime View Post
    I haven't heard of this at Ft Campbell. When did this ruling come out?
    It is starting in Afghanistan right now. They are recalling all the old mags but are starting with the guys still in theatre and then it will trickle down to units not deployed. We got the memo back in I think October, while we were over there.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

For the Capt... PMAGs, aye Sir, make it so.

Thank you for the clarification. It was good to read that the Army will allow the PMAG. It's proven to be more reliable than the issue mags.

For many years I have thought that the Army should institute a "Suitable Substitute" policy. The PMAG is a perfect example. If the Army (Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force) have a particular widget and the individual servicemen can private-purchase a more durable, reliable, completely functional widget not adding expense to the DoD, then the individual unit commander should be able to authorize that product's use. Magpul, HSGI, BDS, and other companies produce high quality gear for a reasonable price. With this current atmosphere of money drying up, this would be the time to allow personal purchases.

I have a lot of personal purchase items and this includes about 30 PMAGs.
    MyTime