Thread: unalakleet river

Default unalakleet river

Could anyone give me some info.about hunting on the unalakleet river?Is the caribou or bear hunting good?Is there alot of hunting pressure? Thanks alot,TY

Smile Unalakleet River information

Hope this helps!

The Unalakleet River is in GMU 22A, and is 76 miles long from the Tenmile Creek confluence to the village of Unalakleet. I'd give yourself a week to ten days to float-hunt it. It's a Class I river, making it ideal for new floaters. You can float it with just about anything, but I would recommend a cataraft with an outboard, because at the lower end it flattens out and you have potential upstream headwinds. The cataraft is easier to deal with in the wind (it's more aerodynamic) than a round boat, plus you can run that outboard easier. The area has moose, caribou, black bear and brown bear.

As far as land managers go, the Unalakleet River is a National Wild and Scenic River, so I'd go to their website for more info on the river itself. There is also some BLM land in there, along with lands belonging to the Bering Straits Native Corporation.

You can read more about this river in Karen Jettmar's "Alaska River Guide", and in the "Alaska River Logs". Note that the Alaska River Guide is currently out of print, so you'll have to snag one at a used book store like Title Wave Used Books in Anchorage, or perhaps on Ebay. Karen is looking for another publisher for this book and should have some fresh copies on the rack in the near future. From personal experience I can tell you that this might take a while longer than you think!

For specific details concerning hunting pressure, species counts, and such, your single best source is the ADFG Area Biologist in Nome. The two closest places from which to charter are Nome and Unalakleet.

Please let us know if there are other questions.

Regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

While Mike's info is helpful, I suspect it doesn't really tell you what you want to know.
    You asked if the bou and bear hunting was any good. It is extremely unlikely you will find bou along the river before freeze up. That area is the very southern limit of the WACH migration. They often don't even show up there at all, much less during a fall hunting season.
    The griz hunting should be pretty good but you need to access the upper river, around Old Woman R., and it is best to go late. The bear seson opens aug 1 (are you a res.?) and you could hunt as early as then, but obviously bear hides aren't all that good then, and temps may be an issue in taking care of your hide (assuming success). There are also black bears on the upper river.
    Unfortunately, accessing the upper river is a problem. You will NOT be able to get dropped off by aircraft as there is no where to land there. You would have to find someone to take you up by boat, and if water levels are low, that may be difficult. There is a guide in Unk. and he has boats but may be busy with his own clients. There is also a lodge on the lower river, they only do fishing, but may be legal to transport someone up river.
    Depending on when you go, there may be locals up river, either fishing, or hunting, tho probably not alot of them
    If your interested in that area I would recommend looking into a float (are you wanting to do a float?) on the Shaktoolik R. It also ends at a village, from which you could fly home on a scheduled airline, and there are landable spots along the river to get dropped off. The bou hunting along the shak won't be much better, but there are stragglers and reindeer/bou crosses around. Moose hunting is open there till sept 30, and there should be a bull or 2 along the river. Bear hunting will be good also. The area around the mouth of the Kingmutilik R. is about as good as it gets in that area for a multi species hunt in the fall. The fishing there will be excellent also, with silvers, trout, and grayling in dang near every hole. There could be a guide operating there, but the hunting isn't so great that it's a money making spot.
    No need to charter from Nome. Ain't anyone there to charter to the back country anyway. Call Hageland Aviation In Unk. 624-3595. They have a 180 they use off airport sometime.

Thumbs down Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper
    While Mike's info is helpful, I suspect it doesn't really tell you what you want to know....
    MT, Was that really necessary? I guess that "ignore" button will come in handy. See you later... or not.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Mike

I think MT posted some very good info, I did not see him verbally attacking you at all. I think it was pretty nice of him to offer his own insite into the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan
    MT, Was that really necessary? I guess that "ignore" button will come in handy. See you later... or not.

-Mike
    Why did you ask me a question if your going to use the ignore button? Yes Mike, that was necessary. The guy wants to go hunting...............not float an inaccessible river!

Good Information MT...........both times.

Lightbulb A little more

If your really interested in bear, hunting the upper reaches of the rivers in 22A in early aug. is a great time to achieve success. These rivers all have heavy pink salmon runs. By aug 1 thousands, if not millions, of these fish are up these rivers spawning and dying. The water level will likely be such that good numbers of bears will be found on the river fishing. The river banks will be so full of dead fish, that it will STINK. Additionally, early aug is the beginning of blueberry ripening. If a bear isn't fishing, he will likely be on the tundra eating berries. These rivers are all semi forested river bottom, with semi open tundra hills. There will be loads of opportunity to glass these open areas for bears.
    If you hunt in aug, it's likely you'll have the river to yourself, as locals will be busy on the coast with fishing. The moose season also opens aug 1 there (still assuming your a res), so there's a small chance of seeing a local or 2 hunting moose.
    The lower several miles of all these rivers, like Mike said of the Unk, are flat, without alot of current. They are windy, and subject to tidal water level changes.
    Just in case your curious........I haven't read Karens book, or the riverlog for these rivers. I have however, lived, hunted, fished, trapped, subsisted in this region for the last 14 years. I also associate with ALOT of other folks that do the same.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default Lets play nice gentlemen...

While Mike Q. offered indepth real-time info on the area, Mike S. gave a great overview of the logistics of the watershed as well as additional info....

Akwolverine is the benefactor of both of your insights!

Mike and Mike, You guys need to get together and share a pack of lifesavers--and not sour apple flavor!~...