Thread: Hunts in Oct

Default Hunts in Oct

My dad wants is coming to Alaska for a week in mid Oct and wants to hunt he is not a picky guy at all but he has a leg issue he can walk but it still puts a limit on what we can do .he really would like a brown bear or a bou, but us hunting together is enough so anything will do I would do the haul rd but he isn't a bowhunter and i don't think the 10 mile walk would do him good. I am not the most important thing is that we can hunt i was hoping to stay around the interior i have been looking around and am needing a point in the right direction

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
    "Horns make pi$* poor soup"

That's a rough time of year for big game. Most of the caribou will be in rut. If the weather doesn't get cold I'm sure you could still do a bear hunt. I wanted to do combo alpine goat/deer on Kodiak in Oct but it's a little late for that.

My dad is probably going to come up around then too and we have decided to mainly stick to small game. He has never really hunted over a bird dog and wants to try it out.

Good luck,

ROUGHNECK, first off thanks a bunch for serving our country. next up, enjoy time spent with your Dad. time flies. how a bout a Blacktail hunt on Kodiak? Good time of year to do it and a freezer filler. Good luck with your plans.

Could also look into Adak Island not sure what the airfare would cost from fairbanks but it is an option.

thanks for all the suggestions he won't have a lot of time so the travel time to Adak is kind of a bummer but it is on our to do list probably late Aug next year (the meat should be better)Would the talkeetna River area be good for brown bear that time of year? I have never been but it looks like an option

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
    "Horns make pi$* poor soup"

Depending on snow I have hunted black bear on the Kenai until mid October..

Quote Originally Posted by tyrex13 View Post
    Depending on snow I have hunted black bear on the Kenai until mid October..
    Yup......I killed a blackie in a snow squall on Oct 23. Died with a mouth full of blue berries. Excellent eating...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

deer hunting on the islands is usually starting get productive by third week of of october. Pick an area off Admiralty island with a forest Service cabin, then hunt early morning and late evenings around the low tide...always has been a bad arse hunt, IMO. Great for guys who can't or don't walk a lot. easiest deer hunt you'll ever pursue.

larry

PWS is great too. Forest service cabins there as well. Depending on the island you have black bear or brown bear plus deer. Sometimes if the walking is an issue you can get deer off the beach, and look up the creeks for the bears.