Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reliable hunting partner wanted.

Default Reliable hunting partner wanted.

It's getting more difficult to find a reliable moose hunting partner year in and year out. Is anyone else having this problem?

YES!! I can't even get myself to be able to go on all the hunts I would like.

LuJon, I hear you. Once the secret got out that butchering a moose is a lot of work, my friends thinned out. As the original "Joe" here I can say the Outoor Forums have improved greatly over the years.

+1. it sucks, thats why i usually end up going stag

Joe, looks like you've been a shy member for a while, You might want to post some facts ago¨t what your looking for in a partner. List your qualities and abilities as well as some general info about your planned hunt. Lots of members have had great luck in finding a partner here on the forum.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

I had a great hunting and fishing partner that I've gone with for the last 5 years. Unforunately he is on his way to Andrews AFB so I'm looking also. Its a bummer. Hunting partners are not that hard to find, good partners are.

I know I will need someone to go hunting with me when I get back from deployment, well that is when barber8605 wont be able to go with me. However, I will be needing more of a mentor than a partner. I know it seems like alot to mentor someone, but I am not exactly new at hunting, I grew up hunting in Oregon (blacktails), and did quite a bit of hunting when I was stationed in North Carolina (whitetails the size of german shepherds). The reason I am saying I would need a mentor is because I am quite sure hunting in Alaska will be quite a bit different than what I am used to. So if anyone would be willing to help me out it would be appreciated, but if not, thats fine too, Ill be able to figure it out myself eventually.

I've found one of the most reliable hunting/fishing partners is the wife, then the kids. Some times it takes a little more work on your part though.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Akhunternp....

All i can say is no kidding. It certainly does take more work on your part, we want to make them comfortable,

As for hunting partners outside of them..the rough part for me is not finding ones that are the same speed as the kids are..i expect to do the extra for the kids..but not the adult ( unless they are OLD).. it got very frustrating going with guys who were great hunters...only to find out they had never processed game, camped, can't/won't help...cook,do dishes, haul wood, or make coffee..

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

My oldest just turned 10... Always wants to go, listens and follows directions, only complains when I don't go running up the mountain after every animal we see. About the only negative is he can't carry much but I figure if I haul most of his gear while he is young he will haul most of mine when I am old! Even better is there are two more boys behind this one that also are excited to get out any chance they get!

I don't know what you mean by a reliable hunting partner, unless you mean not showing up on time.
    If so that the least of my problems with hunting partners, add to the list, lying about knowing how to hunt moose, not wanting to hunt because it's raining, to early, or to cold. Expecting me to be his guide and servant because I ask him to go hunting.

My partner also may not be able to go hunting this year because of work and I can not get into my hunting area with out help. The hunting area is over three miles long with several hot spots, if you know where to look and how to hunt moose. I'm seriously considering looking for two guys that hunt together and taking them in and dropping them off to hunt there area and I hunt another spot farther up the trail. That way everybody is happy they have there friend and hunting area, and I have mine
    We could all hunt the same area, except it never works with three guys. Finding two guys that are hard core moose hunter that know how to call and hunt brush is probably not going to happen.

I guess that I don't comprehend what a good hunting partner should be like.

I remember to the days before I had a suitable ATV. Volunteers for moose hunting were plenty .. but their actions and activity certainly lacked. I heard, “if you get one down, call us and we’ll come and help.” Even with the easy to get to moose, these good friends seemed to have excuse after excuse of not being able to help butcher the bull on scene or even help with the moose processing at the house.” And after butchering on a moose for hours by myself, other people stop by and seemed willing to pack a load of back straps and last couple of quarters provided I let them load it in their vehicle. LOL.

Things have changed. ATV's and horses are awesome. Learned to pace myself and now expect to do the entire thing. Great fun.

Moose are made for hunting in pairs. Literally! 4 quarters (2 each), 2 back-straps, 2 tender loins, 2 neck halvs, 2 racks of ribs.... About the only thing not worth sharing is the antlers and I don't like the way they taste anyway. What a pain it would be to try and split one three ways! I do hunt occasionally with my wife and another couple which works because we just split it all by household so the pair rules work. Another thing we do that is standard at least with our family is generally give 1/4 if we "phone a friend" to come and help butcher/pack. A front quarter and 1 backstrap has become pretty standard. Also that person gets dibs on any "last year" moose if one is taken the following season. I haven't had much time to hunt moose the last couple years between work and spending all my vacation days chasing sheep but we have kept a good bit of moose in the freezer by keeping a good sharp knife, headlamp full of batteries and the meat trailer all ready to go.

One tongue, one heart, one liver … but yes definitely plenty to go around for two households... but similarly - I don't count these against one's share. And if two or more parties are interested in them ... they can be split accordingly.

For three or more in a hunting party … cut and package it up together. Take a portion, make sausage and hamburger … everyone picks a package (or packages) at time. Burger/sausage can be weighed to proportion.

I give plenty away so I have no issue with the other household taking more than 1/2 so long as they are going to use it (or in other words – that it doesn’t go to waste); especially if it was them that pulled the trigger. They often say ... if it turns out you run short ... then give us a call. IMO - Best to first take care of the needs of those (and their dependents or charity) that participated in the hunt, butchering, meat care, and processing.

I usually have to post up every year for someone to moose hunt with. I have hunted with 2 individuals from here that were great people but I also had one guy no show on me from here. I put in for the draw every year and am always looking for a partner . I have all quality gear for a nice comfortable moose camp and a small inflatable to use on lake based hunts.Give me a permit and I'm gone!

My best hunting partners lives on the east coast so I try to plan trips for whitetail deer and turkeys with him. This year I'm paying his way to Wrangell to go on the archery elk hunt with me. Hunting partners are like spouses, it takes years to develop a good one. I retire next spring so I will have a lot more time to hunt. I'll be looking for a good Alaskan hunting partner. If Etolin doesn't kick my butt too much I would be interested in a moose hunting trip next year.

I live in Colorado and just went on my first moose hunt last year. I would love to be able to connect with someone every third year or so and hunt moose or caribou. I love Alaska and Colorado hunting, so it works for me. Please let me know any details and I would be down for anything.

The problem I always face, is people backing out at the last minute. I start planning my next hunt the moment I get home from the previous one. I just can't ever seem to find anybody who will do the same. They say they are in, and good to go for months, then when it's time to put money on the table to buy food, gas, gear, etc. They suddenly have something come up. Good grief!!! Don't say you are going to go if you can't! It saves me a lot of headache to not have to scramble around to find a partner. I am thinking very seriously about hunting solo more often.

Although I do not mind helping pack if I get a call from a buddy, as long as I get some meat out of it.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

I am more than willing to help any one of you drag a quarter out of the bush and the only reason I haven't been soliciting hunting buddies on here is I have no idea what my schedule will be come fall. I have found myself unexpectedly unemployed again, and most likely will have to go back to working in the bush.

About me: I spent the last 12 years in Alaska and now call Palmer home. I hunt, fish, and have done so for most of my 43 years. I have a boat which I have hauled all the way from Deadhorse to Valdez in search of meat. I also have a reliable lab for retreiving. I have taken three moose and three caribou since arriving in AK.

About the hunt: It's a long boat ride beyond where most boats can go, to camp at a natural migration corridor. I've had good luck there by just setting up camp and calling and waiting. I hunt the first two weeks of September to avoid low water conditions, and plan and pack to hunt for the entire time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast