Thread: Taurus Customer Service

Default Taurus Customer Service

Aint trying to knock Taurus customer service but I tried calling them on numerous occasions, I even left a message with my return info.......No luck.

My concern was not that my 22 magnum revolver was malfunctioning, but regarding the hammer spring. I understand that the 22 magnum case has an especially primer rim, so usually, a bit more hammer spring power is needed for reliable ignition as opposed to a 22 lr.

The hammer is so difficult to cock single action, that it leaves a blister on my son's finger after a session at the range. I'm far beyond 1000 shots fired, and I thought the spring would loosen up a bit, but it didn't. I thought that maybe they could offer me a hammer spring with a bit less psi. No luck.

I ended up removing the hammer spring, cut two coils off the spring, and ground the sharp point down flat. It's now much easier to pull back single action. Although still under brisk spring power, the trigger pulls at a full 18oz lighter. Should complement the over-travel screw I installed.

I recently traded off a 22 mag Taurus. It also had the heavy spring, I did as you and lightened.
    I went a bit too far and started to get miss-fires. So I shimmed the spring back up a bit.

A friend has sent a Taurus back for repairs the second time.
    They didn't address the problem the first go around.
    He has had difficultly contacting them also.
    Hopefully everything will be returned in tip-top shape.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

Most gun companies now days forget about youngsters getting to shoot.Ya done good
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Been a long time but Iíve sent several guns back to them, they always got them back to me fast. One was locked up and they fixed it just fine and two had end shake they fixed fine. But one had loose lock-up shaving lead and they did nothing, sent it back three times and they did nothing to it but shoot it and return it. Had to fix that one myself and I havenít bothered them anymore, if I buy a Taurus I just figure Iím on my own with it.

They arenít bad guns in 357 and down but they are usually rough inside and need some touching up. Had little luck with their 44/45 caliber stuff though, those are the ones that all had to go back for me.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I sent in a new model 65 357 SS 4in about 3 weeks ago because the cylinder would barely turn with rounds in it due to bad machine burrs where the cylinder advance arm protrudes. I got the gun back today FedEx - had to take a vacation day off work to accept it - uggghh!
    The gun came back and is very smooth now, they worked on the action as well as removing the burrs, seems to be well done - shoulda left the factory like this!
    I called them 3 times, stayed on hold over 15 minutes the first 2 attempts, 12 minutes the third before a nice gal took my call and was very understanding considering the mood I was in. She sent me a recall number and they paid the frt both ways.
    All three times I was on hold I had to listen to a Hispanic fellow sing old bluegrass type civil war theme music on what sounded like a broken speaker - kinda like a squeaky fart going up a stovepipe - no music awards for him!
    Anyway, they seemed to have done a nice job fixing the gun and turnaround time was decent, hopefully it will function OK from here on out... They need some training from the Leupold chaps I think in regards to customer service!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

If you'll look on other forums, this is typical of Taurus but, some just love them? Personally, I can't remember ever owning one.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Been a long time but Iíve sent several guns back to them, they always got them back to me fast. One was locked up and they fixed it just fine and two had end shake they fixed fine. But one had loose lock-up shaving lead and they did nothing, sent it back three times and they did nothing to it but shoot it and return it. Had to fix that one myself and I havenít bothered them anymore, if I buy a Taurus I just figure Iím on my own with it.

They arenít bad guns in 357 and down but they are usually rough inside and need some touching up. Had little luck with their 44/45 caliber stuff though, those are the ones that all had to go back for me.
    Alright Andy, what is "end shake"???
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Alright Andy, what is "end shake"???
    End shake is the cylinder traveling end to end (fore and aft) along its shaft. All revolvers have end shake, itís clearance for the cylinder to rotate but if too much (assembled too loose or shot enough to loosen up) it can cause a long list of issues. End shake on a tight gun should be to little to be perceivable to the naked eye or feel in the hand, something like .001ď to.002Ē or so is good and tight and over .005" is getting pretty loose.

When I pick up a revolver to buy first thing I do is check lock-up and end shake at all positions with the trigger pressed and held. This is fast to do and tells me more about the gunís condition than anything else I do. End shake should not be perceivable and lock-up should be fairly tight and balanced (same notch to notch) at all the notches.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    End shake is the cylinder traveling end to end (fore and aft) along its shaft. All revolvers have end shake, itís clearance for the cylinder to rotate but if too much (assembled too loose or shot enough to loosen up) it can cause a long list of issues. End shake on a tight gun should be to little to be perceivable to the naked eye or feel in the hand, something like .001ď to.002Ē or so is good and tight and over .005" is getting pretty loose.

When I pick up a revolver to buy first thing I do is check lock-up and end shake at all positions with the trigger pressed and held. This is fast to do and tells me more about the gunís condition than anything else I do. End shake should not be perceivable and lock-up should be fairly tight and balanced (same notch to notch) at all the notches.
    Interesting Andy, thank you sir. I wiggle the cylinders just like you mentioned - had just never heard that phrase before... I have to quit hanging out with dumb friends I reckon! I sure hope EKC don't read this!

I've owned 2 Taurus' so far and would probably opt for a different brand if I was in a handgun search again.

The first one was a PT92 about 1986 or 1987. It worked well and had no issues. I eventually sold it.

The second one was 2 years ago, a 24/7 OSS 45ACP. When I pulled the trigger the mag fell out of the dang thing. I sent it back for service and it was returned to me in 3 weeks, working fine. With a 5.25 inch barrel and the longer sighting plane I thought that it would be a real shooter, but not this particular handgun. I sold it and used the $$ for a different pistol.

Taurus service department was fairly responsive for me 2 years ago. That was the only time I needed them.
    MyTime

The only reason I went with the Taurus 22 magnum is because they make the best 22 magnum pistol available. No other company makes a single action/double action 22 magnum with an 8 shot cylinder, 4 in. barrel and adjustable sights. I handled three of them, and picked out what I thought was the best one. This little thing weighs 27 oz. They are the only ones who make a small trail revolver (single action/double action). If I had to do it all over again, I would've bought this same model. It performs three jobs: home defense with the 40 grain speer gold dots (1,400 fps), small game hunting with the 50 grain game shocks (1,150 fps), and as a survival pistol that's always in my small survival kit when hiking, running rivers, or snowmachining.

Well over a thousand rounds so far, no malfunctions. The cone was very sharp, so that got polished, the hammer spring cut two coils, and an over travel screw installed. I can usually hit a 4" steel gong 75 percent of the time at 25 yds.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    The only reason I went with the Taurus 22 magnum is because they make the best 22 magnum pistol available. No other company makes a single action/double action 22 magnum with an 8 shot cylinder, 4 in. barrel and adjustable sights. I handled three of them, and picked out what I thought was the best one. This little thing weighs 27 oz. They are the only ones who make a small trail revolver (single action/double action). If I had to do it all over again, I would've bought this same model. It performs three jobs: home defense with the 40 grain speer gold dots (1,400 fps), small game hunting with the 50 grain game shocks (1,150 fps), and as a survival pistol that's always in my small survival kit when hiking, running rivers, or snowmachining.

Well over a thousand rounds so far, no malfunctions. The cone was very sharp, so that got polished, the hammer spring cut two coils, and an over travel screw installed. I can usually hit a 4" steel gong 75 percent of the time at 25 yds.
    They may be the only current one to manufacture them in this caliber but, I never needed more shots than six, and do my best to buy American made products even if I have to buy somewhat older guns. Please save your breath, I've heard all the reasons to buy foriegn stuff nd none make any sence to me.
    Steve

Of the many Taurus products I've had to return over the years, generally the customer service has been good. However, the number of guns sent back has been high. S&W made the excellent Model 650 and 651 J-frame 22 magnums. These can still be had on the used market, and shouldn't require any trips back to the factory. Better trigger, as well. And better fitted to start with. Just from what I've seen over the years.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Even Handsome Stranger had a seven shooter so eight is good for me
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you