Thread: Hidden Lake or Cooper Lake, That is the question????

Default Hidden Lake or Cooper Lake, That is the question????

Hey guys, first time poster on the freshwater forums....I was wondering what everyone thought about Hidden Lake? How is the fishing, Campsites for a class C, is it free, or do i need to make reservations? I have been to cooper lake many times before and i am looking for a little bigger fish. Also, Last year i would have had lots of problems getting a class c motor home down that hill and on the beach due to water levels. Since the snowfall was record breaking i would think that would be the problem this year....if it is even thawed out....Any help would be greatly appreciated. would trade some saltwater spots for some good laker/burbot spots on either of these two lakes just PM me. thanks.....

Joe.

I haven't been up to Cooper yet this year, I fished Hidden Lake last weekend and got my butt handed to me. It was VERY windy and we got blown all over the place, no fish. I think it will take some time to learn that one.

Campground looked great, pay sites, didn't look full last weekend.

Hidden Lake is RV friendly the road can be a little bumpy. We have a 32' Class A and there are quite a few sites to choose from and there is also a dump station. There are 3 great sites right by the water if you are lucky you can get one of them. Cell phone and 3g is very spotty in the campground but you can get good service on the water.
    As for the fishing... I have fished it for about 15 hours over my few trips there and caught 1 laker trolling a coyote spoon in the depths off of the cliffs. I have only fished the end of the lake by the launch ramp with my little 8' inflatable with a 2hp that fits in the basement of the RV. I don't trust it to go around the corner with the way the wind can pick up there.

I was at Hidden last weekend for a couple days. Pretty nice set-up at the campground. I think you're looking at $10/night, the boat launch is free. Not sure if they take reservations. It looked pretty busy to me, but if you could get there during the week you would probably have the place to yourself. Saw one guy that looked like he was doing pretty good trolling around the islands. The depth is pretty variable and as indicated in some other posts it is a big enough lake to get windy. The lakers in there have a reputation for being stubborn. You sound familiar with the area, but if the camground there is full you could always check down the road at Skilak.

By the way, I drove up Snug Harbor road towards Cooper Lake to do some sightseeing/wildlife watching and closer up towards the lake the road is still snowed in and the road is relatively narrow. Not a place you would want to have to turn around in an RV...or while towing a boat.....

Haven't been there yet this year but Cooper is often still covered with ice this time of year. Not real RV friendly either.

Quote Originally Posted by AlmarFisherman View Post
    By the way, I drove up Snug Harbor road towards Cooper Lake to do some sightseeing/wildlife watching and closer up towards the lake the road is still snowed in and the road is relatively narrow. Not a place you would want to have to turn around in an RV...or while towing a boat.....
    This. If for any reason you couldn't proceed (fallen tree, vehicles parked along the shoulder, etc.), you'll likely be heading back toward Cooper Landing in reverse for a ways (and good luck dealing with any one driving up behind you!).