Thread: Painting Arrows?

Default Painting Arrows?

If I paint the back say, 6" of the arrow hot pink will it make a difference? The arrows I just picked up don't exactly show real well in this green grass popping up. Figure I'll tape off the fletchings so they don't get painted.

Strip the fletching then paint and dry and re fletch

Hot pink shows up very well on any other color. If your shooting leagues or other archery matches you may not want such a "showy" color as others will shoot for your arrow.

You can always get a cheap metal detector and search for the tips when you shoot worms.

why not use a wrap? I've painted woods almost as long as I've been at this....but for someone not set up for it and not wanting the headache...wraps are the way to go!

Painting can mess with things!!! Its no different than adding weight at the nock end of your shaft. Will it? thats to be determined...type of paint (how thick and how many coats) will dictate IF it effects anythign at all!

Bright pink will really stick out....I've shot yellow so long its what I prefer.....figures almost all of our leaves would be yellow .

Abel Im with TradBow wraps are the way to go. I used to paint (and dip)arrows in the shop I worked at from time to time amd it was a real pain...and messy not to mention hard to get a uniform finish. I personally use wraps and they are very simple no fuss no mess..

Why not just use white fletching? Easy to follow in the air, easier to find on the ground. And don't worry - - - the game jumps at the sound of the release, not at the color of the feathers. Howard Hill used them, and he took more big game animals than any other bowhunter, dead or living.

Default wraps

Wraps are the way to go. 3 rivers has some super sexy pink tigar strip wraps that show up real well. Wraps go on easy no mess and really make either flethers or vanes adhere to the shaft

Well painting isn't hard or messy really. It can get smelly depending on your choice of paints. Growing up the smell of bohning and flechtite filled the neighborhood shop, to me it's a part of it.

I will continue to paint as I have in some form or another (spray, dip, and some stains) along with cresting as I have for the last 22 years. I may go to wraps someday, though it's unlikely.

Dipping is by far the easiest way to get consistency. Spraying is easy to do hard to be consistent with and then there's over spray (fl orange doesn't go well with cream carpet btw lol), Stain for a cap or portion is a nice alternative, read woods only here.

Most paints need thinning and many do well with an undercoat. White being a constant other colors can make a cap really pop when used in combination with each other. This takes experimentation, time money and resources. Start off with a thinned white base coat and work from here.

How much to thin depends on your paint choice. Some require very little while many will approach a 60-40 mixture. This is where headaches begin.

The standard is bohning which if u go that route can benefit from being thinned. The "old school" auto lacquers were a go to amongst many pro smiths till it became almost impossible to find when they went to water based paints. There are others out there, though you'll need time and money to figure out what you like and works.

After that you've got compatability issues to work out. After all u can't just cap without a signature crest. Mines evolved over 22 odd years but overall it's the same as the first go. And than do you add a scuff coat or not. More problems when u add extremely fine gold and silver bands on a crest.

Next is what glue to use..... Flechtite duco superglue and many others have a place. But on the wrong paint you'll have problems. I had all my feathers popping off after getting lazy and fetching with fletch tape last fall. Learned a hard lesson watching a few thousand bou streaming by with 0 arrows with more than one feather! Thankfully I carry a repair kit in the rig. It saved the hunt even though they where long gone by the time I was ready to go again.

Dip tubes are easy to conjure up, a quality cresting machine isn't hard either if you can get your hands on a few to try out first.

Why would anyone paint after all that??? Most don't anymore.....but for those of us that do there's more too it than finding an arrow. After all mine are yellow with a yellow cap, shows up great in the poplar /birch woods come aug and sept.