Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bear Baiting ethics question

Angry Bear Baiting ethics question

My son and I have set up a nice little stand 100 yards past the end of a trail that runs next to a creek. We have been in there for the last month. Last night a guy drives his ATV right up the middle of the creek, right next to our stand and within 20 yards of our barrel and sets up a bait station and stand 200 yards from us. I'm feeling a little bit crowded. Nothing in the regulation says he can't do this. What are my options if I have any?

Did you go talk to the guy? Maybe he didn't know your bait station was there.

yea he told me to go pound sand in not so many words- real a--hole.

Check if he properly registered and then posted his baiting permit. If he registered it as required, he should have a sign to post. If he regsitered it, he should have seen where you were and went somewhere else. Driving down the middle of a strream that has fish, especially salmon is usually illegal. If its a publicly maintained trail, bait stations cannot be within 1/4 mile of the trail. If he's in violation of any of that, call the troopers and report him.

I talked to him he seemed to be quite the a hole not to be rude or anything and he new it was there cause in order to get up and past us u pass three of our baiting signs. I've asked him out of respect to park his.wheelers down buy were everyone else parks and walk in like the.rest of.us.but he had no intrerest in doing so he compleatly ruined our set last night and would apperciate it if this wasn't a regular occurance

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S. View Post
    Check if he properly registered and then posted his baiting permit. If he registered it as required, he should have a sign to post. If he regsitered it, he should have seen where you were and went somewhere else. Driving down the middle of a strream that has fish, especially salmon is usually illegal. If its a publicly maintained trail, bait stations cannot be within 1/4 mile of the trail. If he's in violation of any of that, call the troopers and report him.
    When I registered mine, I wasn't given the opportunity to see where others were registered.

He has a sign and has posted his baiting permit. the stream has no salmon more than 1/4 mile off the publicly maintained trail. he's legal- just a jerk.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by papabuckshot View Post
    He has a sign and has posted his baiting permit. the stream has no salmon more than 1/4 mile off the publicly maintained trail. he's legal- just a jerk.
    That being the case, I would pack up and leave.

what about knowingly interfering with legal hunting ?

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

You have two options:

1. Find a new place and do try to get off the beaten path instead of setting up with the rest of the ATVing townies.

2. Call it a bust, and bring your guitar out there with yah every time you set over your bait. Heck.....bring a trumpet too. Play music, sing music, bang pots n pans. Do this to try to instigate the guy into a conflict.......then take care of it when he starts somethin! Bring a little jobsite radio with an 18 volt battery, and connect it to your ipod. Play the Rocky Soundrack the entire time, if you're not musically inclined.

Call the F&G trooper in your area. It is against the law to interfer with the hunting rights of others. Yes, he is interfering with your right to hunt plain and simple. Call the troopers.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Its a all to common new type of hunter in Alaska and we hear more of him each year.Its the same on trap lines and old family moose camps,all have equal rights to be there right or wrong morally.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Not much you can do...he's got as much legal right to be there hunting as you do.

Putting a stand that close to another guys stand is tasteless and tacky, but not illegal unless his express purpose is to deprive you of the opporunity to hunt- probably not his intent. He's just a bonehead.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Its a all to common new type of hunter in Alaska and we hear more of him each year.Its the same on trap lines and old family moose camps,all have equal rights to be there right or wrong morally.
    I agree. Seems like a losing issue for all involved.

Sounds like you talked to him. Plus, Iíve heard of some people planting their tent on a trail so as to dissuade others from using said trail and hunting the area. I'm not aware of regulations that offer ROW or "I was here first or quantitative stand separation distances ... so I think the ďinterfering with the other personís hunt" argument can swing both ways.

So we have combat fishing and combat bear baiting. If you canít (or donít desire to) move somewhere else, perhaps set your second station on the other side of him so you can take advantage of prevailing winds and bear movements. Perhaps talk with him and see if you can schedule to be there when he is not. Otherwise try to out stink him or make your station more appealing to bears than his.

Good luck!

Any chance you can take picís of him and post here, maybe his conscience will get the best of him if he is publically exposed doing something ethically wrong? Take picís of his wheeler, truck and him and tell him what you plan to do with them. People often change their behavior when they know they are being videoed or photographed. Just a thought.

I'm betting he's just trying to run you out by being a nuisance for whatever reason.
    BK

Seems like I read about this kind of thing every year. With all the proposals that are put in every year to change or ammend hunting regs, why in the world has there not been a slew of proposals to set a minimum distance that you can set up a bait station next to an existing one? Why has this not happened?

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    That being the case, I would pack up and leave.
    I dissagree......................I say but on your big boy pants & out hunt him. He is legal, you are legal........This whole baiting results comes down to who spends the most time in a tree.

I would look very closely at the regulations for ATV use in spawning streams. If rainbow trout spawn there it may also qualify (I'm not positive) as they are anadromous fish. If if flows into another stream, then it is part of that watershed. Being able to shut down the ATV use would be of some help. I'm always concerned about bullets, which travel over a mile in the open, and drop about an inch or two at two hundred yards, when two hunters are just a couple hundred yards apart.

If it can be done safely, hunting while he's in there, and being sure you're the last man out, can reap big dividends. Chances are good that bears will hang up upon hearing the atv come in, then will come in when he leaves. Alternatively, knowing he's in his, but thinking yours is deserted, they'll come to yours.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I dissagree......................I say but on your big boy pants & out hunt him. He is legal, you are legal........This whole baiting results comes down to who spends the most time in a tree.
    Good grief.....same here. Everybody wants to default to the police, put on your big boy pants and get CRAZY!

Man.......as big as this state is and this still happens...??? Ridiculous to say the least......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast