Thread: Tips for Trolling Kodiak for Kings

Default Tips for Trolling Kodiak for Kings

Howdy all,
    I'll be in Kodiak for about a week at the beginning of June and hope to have the opportunity to get out and troll for some kings and jig for some halibut. I've never fished Kodiak, and would love some pointers about where and what to troll to have a shot at picking up a king. Any and all advice is appreciated.

Crickets????

Dang! That's cold blooded!

Well......how'd you do?

I followed all the great advice I got and picked up a pollock!

Not all that bad. Came home with a few halibut, but no kings.

Ha! Right on. How close to town were you fishing?
    Not trying to steal your Pollock hole, I've just never fished down there and will be heading down early in the fall for a hunt, thought about bringing the fishing gear if it's going to worth while.

Boreal, sorry I missed your post. The kings were pretty scarce up until a couple weeks ago, they come and go all year long. Early June they were picking an occasional king up along the kelp beds in Chiniak Bay. I'd be more specific, but it was just random spots.
    James, not sure about kings in the fall, since I'm usually hunting. The halibut are usually still around in good numbers though. Some of the common local spots are the fingers off bouy 4, Williams Reef, and Cape Chiniak. Those are also good spots for kings if they are in. Good luck.

Thanks! We'll be headed west, hunting Raspberry so we'll be a ways out of town. It'd be a nice day of rest to go rip lips for a while though!

I picked up the halibut at Buoy 4. Moved around a lot, it was pretty much scratch fishing. I'm sure if you really try you'll be able to find my secret pollock honey hole! Good luck!