Thread: Does net color affect hooligan?

Default Does net color affect hooligan?

Just wondering if anyone has noticed a difference with light colored net vs black.

Some say it doesn't matter, but we had a white net and a black net fishing the same hole. The white net would get 10-20 fish every time. The black one maybe one or two, with lots of blanks. I think they can see this black shadow looking thing coming at them and get out of the way. I never use black nets now. White or green only.

I've had great luck with a white net at 20 mile, no experience with a black one.

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    Some say it doesn't matter, but we had a white net and a black net fishing the same hole. The white net would get 10-20 fish every time. The black one maybe one or two, with lots of blanks. I think they can see this black shadow looking thing coming at them and get out of the way. I never use black nets now. White or green only.
    That is kind of what I was wondering. I am new to this, and bought a net a couple weeks back. Unfortunately, I got one with black net. As I was using it for the first time last night I was looking at it thinking any fish in there is going to see this big black cloud coming at them and be long gone. May have to get a new net.

As far as scoop nets go I have never had any problems getting them with a black net.
    I only fish the Kenai but have never seen them avoid it.
    That is when they are in the river heavy and the water clear enough to see the fish swimming by.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    As far as scoop nets go I have never had any problems getting them with a black net.
    I only fish the Kenai but have never seen them avoid it.
    That is when they are in the river heavy and the water clear enough to see the fish swimming by.
    I'm convinced it makes a big difference, at least at 20-Mile. But it is probably a combination of the number of fish in the river at the time, the water clarity/turbidity, net color, etc. If the fish are super thick you can scoop with your hand and get a handful, so conditions can definitely change the success rate.

I watched two guys below me tonight, the guy using the green net was catching hooligan 10 to 1 to his partner using a BIGGER white net.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    I watched two guys below me tonight, the guy using the green net was catching hooligan 10 to 1 to his partner using a BIGGER white net.
    We did really well with our green net at 20 Mile, too, until our dog ate it. Haven't found a green replacement yet....lol. It outfished everything, and at one point we had black, white, and green nets going at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    We did really well with our green net at 20 Mile, too, until our dog ate it. Haven't found a green replacement yet....lol. It outfished everything, and at one point we had black, white, and green nets going at the same time.
    Uh-oh, how's the dog?

Walmart down here has green ones - FYI

Where was this? How did you do?

Cunningham park, I got about 2/3 of a 30 quart cooler, coulda got more but I didn't want to carry any more! They hit hard at low tide on the north side of the river last nigt, couldn't get many on the south side for some reason.

Cunningham park, I got about 2/3 of a 30 quart cooler, coulda got more but I didn't want to carry any more! They hit hard at low tide on the north side of the river last nigt, couldn't get many on the south side for some reason.
    Missed it !! Hopefully I can find some tonight.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by didger100 View Post
    Just wondering if anyone has noticed a difference with light colored net vs black.
    I don't think it makes any difference at all.

Especially, at 20 Mile, or in the nearby inlet, where the water is so muddy.

I've used black before with success. I used a Blue one this year. The feesch were thicker than the hair onna dawg. I could probably have caught them with a Polka Dot gunny sack in place of a net.

I believe the net size, your technique, and the number of feesch available, in your exact fishing spot, are the things worth considering. Just like any other kind of fishing. If they're thick, everybody catches'em everywhere, but if not, a deeper spot along the shore, or a Rock or a protusion from the shore, produces more fish.

If you need a net for your handle, you can get one from Donalson Company in Anchorage. Note the spelling. (No "D").
    http://www.donalsoncompany.net/

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.