Thread: Chena River SRA

Default Chena River SRA

We were looking at camping out at the state recreation area on the Chena in July. In looking at the website it looks like there are no reservations. We'll be tent camping. Had a couple of questions:

Pretty easy to find a camp spot somewhere if we show up on a Tuesday?

And I was looking at getting my 8 year old daughter on some grayling. Any of the camping areas on the Chena more conducive to kids fishing? We won't have a raft/boat.

Thanks!

If in July you mean anywhere around the 4th good luck the place is a zoo around the 4th. Any other time on a Tuesday you should have no problems the gravel bar camp just past rose hip on the right is a decent spot with calmer water if your daughter is going to be using spinners or something and with a short walk you can be in some faster shallower water if you want to fish some flies. There is also an outhouse there maintained by the state which is a little more user friendly for the ladies if they do not like to go in the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by hre814 View Post
    We were looking at camping out at the state recreation area on the Chena in July. In looking at the website it looks like there are no reservations. We'll be tent camping. Had a couple of questions:

Pretty easy to find a camp spot somewhere if we show up on a Tuesday?

And I was looking at getting my 8 year old daughter on some grayling. Any of the camping areas on the Chena more conducive to kids fishing? We won't have a raft/boat.

Thanks!
    I think you should be fine on a Tuesday. If campgrounds are full there's always the option of camping at the roadside pullouts, although with kids you might want to be closer to an outhouse. Anyway, for easy bobber fishing where your daughter would be very likely to catch a grayling, try the ponds - there are stocked ponds at mile 30 (Twin Bears Camp), 42 (Red Squirrel), 45, and 48. The mile 48 pond tends to be popular but if you get there during the day on a Tuesday you should be in business. It's got an outhouse, and an awful lot of fish. The state stocked ponds guide says that there aren't fish in the left-hand pond but that's not true. Mile 48 is probably the easiest of the ponds to fish. Another thing is that you can keep fish from the ponds (they're awfully small, though) and the river and sloughs are catch-and-release only. ADF&G recently stocked Twin Bears with rainbows, btw.

Lots of stocked ponds on the Steese out past Chatanika, too. Something to consider. Mid-week shouldn't be a problem either place.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison